One in Six Accounts Secured With Password '123456'

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
The team at Keeper, a password manager application, has compiled a list of 2016's most commonly used passwords, and yet again people have chosen the simplistic "123456" as their favorite password in 2016.

According to the Keeper team, this list has been compiled by aggregating passwords leaked in data breaches during the past year.

The Keeper team assembled over 10 million leaked user records, and after analyzing the leaked data, more than 1.7 million accounts were secured with the "123456" password, almost one in every six profiles.

123456 ranked first for the third year in a row, after similar research from TeamsID placed it at the top of the worst passwords list in both 2014 and 2015.

The full list of the worst passwords of 2016 is as follows:

1. 123456
  2. 123456789
  3. qwerty
  4. 12345678
  5. 111111
  6. 1234567890
  7. 1234567
  8. password
  9. 123123
  10. 987654321
  11. qwertyuiop
  12. mynoob
  13. 123321
  14. 666666
  15. 18atcskd2w
  16. 7777777
  17. 1q2w3e4r
  18. 654321
  19. 555555
  20. 3rjs1la7qe
  21. google
  22. 1q2w3e4r5t
  23. 123qwe
  24. zxcvbnm
  25. 1q2w3e
Read more: One in Six Accounts Secured With Password '123456'

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
If they are dumb enough, or lazy enough to use passwords like that, they deserve the
outcome that using passwords like that will bring them.
My Passwords are at the minimum 16 characters long and include, Caps, numbers,
& symbols. If it is for online shopping like ebay, Newegg, ect. I let my PW manager
generate the longest PW possible. For websites like this one I have two 16 character
that I rotate that I have had in play for over 10yrs and never had compromised,
knock on wood :p
Cool share Jack.

Last edited:

The reason a lot of people still do this is:

1. They don't know about password managers;
2. They tried a password manager and using it was not satisfying

Password managers have a lot of usability problems. They don't work correctly on a lot of sites. They cause aggravating problems - just try to manage multiple Microsoft Accounts and configure them to change passwords every 120 days - watch what happens when using LastPass for example.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
An eternal problem it seems .
I did some tech work in a corporate environment ( never again :) ) and I was astounded to find the weakest of passwords
being in regular use .

Slightly OT but I read a good article showing that even longer , more complex passwords are not so hard to crack .

A university colleague ( sys admin ) told me that they regularly run cracking routines and inform users if their pw is insecure.
The messages sent out state the number of iterations needed to crack it , along with a warning to change it immediately ,
or have their access suspended .

Students and faculty alike ..... no exceptions .

Good policy IMO !

Paul123

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
The reason a lot of people still do this is:

1. They don't know about password managers;
2. They tried a password manager and using it was not satisfying

Password managers have a lot of usability problems. They don't work correctly on a lot of sites. They cause aggravating problems - just try to manage multiple Microsoft Accounts and configure them to change passwords every 120 days - watch what happens when using LastPass for example.
I'm afraid I'm a bit paranoid about using a password managers - I still think the safest place is in my head. Though I do write down my passwords and put them in an physical safe too as my brain is starting for fail. Even then I try to save them in a way that even if they were read they wouldn't be usable. For example my reminder might say, my first pets name, rather than the actual name itself. I tend to use mixed character passwords too (names and numbers together) The problem with password managers is many save data online and I think nothing is safe online. Maybe its just me, I'm old, or maybe just plain paranoid:confused:.

Reactions: aragornnnn

aragornnnn

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 18, 2016
Some people really need to get hacked before they actually start securing their accounts...
They all say "we care about privacy" 2 minutes later they make a Facebook account with one of the password above.

It's just sad... that's all i can say :(

Reactions: Paul123
R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Good thing my password is 1234567 :p

Seriously tough, it amaze me that people can still be that ignorant about security. Especially with accounts becoming more and more important in our daily life. An e-mail is not just an e-mail anymore. Loosing your Google accounts, for example, would also mean loosing your Youtube subscriptions, Google+ friends, access to your Android phone, including all datas and paid apps, calendar, cloud data and so on. Same goes for Microsoft and Apple.

Looks to me that for some people New Year's resolution should be taking cyber security more seriously.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.