One Vivaldi Feature Microsoft Should Launch in Chromium Microsoft Edge Browser

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
By giving up on EdgeHTML and moving to Chromium, Microsoft Edge becomes one of the several high-profile browsers out there running on this particular engine.

And while Google Chrome is obviously the most famous Chromium-based browser, it’s isn’t necessarily the most advanced too.

As I said on several occasions before, Vivaldi has been my daily driver for several months already, and it’s all because, despite being based on Chromium, it comes with a customization level that you can’t find elsewhere.

Without a doubt, Microsoft has a lot to learn from Vivaldi when it comes to building a browser that perfectly fits our expectations, especially because Vivaldi itself is a browser that comes with nearly everything you’d ever want in a super-straightforward package.

In fact, Vivaldi makes many of the extensions out there more or less redundant, as several of the add-ons that I previously used in other browsers are no longer needed now because similar functionality comes built-in right in Vivaldi.

And while it makes sense for Microsoft to develop a unique approach for Microsoft Edge, one particular feature that I’d like to see implemented in the new browser is Vivaldi’s tab customization section.

KxLycc9.jpg

If you’ve never used Vivaldi, you probably don’t know how advanced the tab customization screen is in this browser.

For example, Vivaldi allows you to change the tab bar position to any location you’d want, and placing it to the left or right of the screen makes websites easier to manage because each tab comes with large thumbnails.

Additionally, there is a plethora of options for the new tab page, new tab position, cloned tab position, and tab handling. You can, for instance, close tabs on double-click, focus page content on a new tab, or do not close window with the last tab.

And that’s not all. There are several other tab options, including thumbnails, close buttons, favicon spinners, unread indicators, and even a slider to adjust the active tab minimum width.

And yes, there’s more. Additional tab features are also offered, like tab cycling and tab selection. Pinned tabs are obviously included too, and so are options to mute tab audio. And last but not least, Vivaldi comes with options for tab stacking, which integrates further customizations like tab stack renaming and even a stacking drop delay slider.

nVXb1Hb.jpg

As you can see, the amount of tab options in Vivaldi is overwhelming, and there’s no doubt that power users are going to like this. I’m not sure going for such an approach is the right thing to do for Microsoft Edge given the browser is supposed to target all types of users, but I’m convinced tech-savvy users would love it even more if such a high level of customization is offered.

Judging from the existing leaked builds of the Chromium-based Microsoft Edge, the software giant isn’t necessarily interested in providing users with an insane amount of customization options, but the good news is that there are lots of extensions out there to enhance the browser.

Since it’s based on Chromium, Microsoft Edge will work with all Google Chrome extensions out there, and what’s more, Microsoft itself will also create and maintain its very own extension store.

If you want to try out the browser, you can download the Chromium-based Microsoft Edge from Softpedia using this link. Keep in mind that this isn’t an official build of the browser, but a leaked version that reached the web through unofficial channels. Microsoft is expected to give its go-ahead to the preview build in the coming weeks.

Source

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.