OnePlus phones will have Facebook services pre-installed and cannot removed

SecurityNightmares

Level 35
Verified
Jan 9, 2020
Bloatware is all too common in the Android world, and the lack of it is something OnePlus was often praised for. That’s slowly been changing, though. With its latest smartphones, OnePlus has been pre-loading services and apps from Facebook that cannot be uninstalled completely, and that’s not stopping any time soon.

With its OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro launched earlier this year, it kind of slipped under the radar that OnePlus had pre-installed Facebook on its smartphones, but that issue was brought to the spotlight recently when friend-of-the-site Max Weinbach tweeted his frustrations with the Facebook App Manager, which was installing Instagram on his OnePlus 8 Pro. Facebook and Instagram are two of the most popular social apps in the world, so many understandably missed that they were pre-installed on these smartphones.

Speaking to Android Police, OnePlus has since confirmed that it has struck a deal to include Facebook App Installer, Facebook Services, and Facebook App Manager as system apps on its latest smartphones — namely OnePlus 8, 8 Pro, and Nord. OnePlus says that by pre-installing these Facebook services, apps such as the main Facebook app and Messenger — both of which are also pre-installed — they’ll end up eating less battery life.

This method doesn’t leave Facebook, Messenger, Instagram, or other Facebook apps installed on your device permanently. You’re free to uninstall those, but the underlying Services, App Installer, and App Manager apps will remain installed as system apps that can be removed, only disabled.

OnePlus confirmed, too, that it intends to continue this practice with future smartphone releases in North America, India, and Europe.

Facebook-OnePlus-1.jpg
Facebook-OnePlus-2.jpg
Facebook-OnePlus-3.jpg

With those apps installed and active, you might notice that updates for Facebook apps may come through that service instead of the Play Store. You may also notice that those services eat up little bits of data even while not in use, which is a tad concerning considering you don’t know what data is being sent back to Facebook.

One more reason against OnePlus. Stay away

Stopspying

Level 11
Verified
Jan 21, 2018
Combining this article with what is described in the following thread makes me want to ask why do people keep paying for their own personal electronic tagging devices?

OnePlus wasn't on my list of trusted suppliers beforehand..........

Edit - typo.

Stopspying

Level 11
Verified
Jan 21, 2018
Another reason to root your phone.
To make it even less secure? No please not.
More like another reason to stay away from Android.
From a personal point of view I don't want to be tracked all over the internet, or have my real time location tracked all of the time I have a phone in my possesion. I won't be buying, or using, any phone that comes with non-removable F***book and similar companies apps. I liked the idea of phone makers like WileyFox installing Cyanogen as the OS on their phone, but then Cyanogen stopped being maintained and those phones lost their USP. I have rooted phones because of my dislike of being another dot on the radar screens of big tech as they track my movements. I don't use a phone for much other than calls and texts, anything that I decide needs better security gets done on computers at home, so I don't feel like I risk so much if I root a phone.

@ Pablozi As for staying away from Android, do you mean full-fat Google Android or all flavours of Android? Apple phones are more secure but Apple still knows a lot about you when you use their products. Is there a good alternative which does respect the user more?

SecurityNightmares

Level 35
Verified
Jan 9, 2020
From a personal point of view I don't want to be tracked all over the internet, or have my real time location tracked all of the time I have a phone in my possesion. I won't be buying, or using, any phone that comes with non-removable F***book and similar companies apps. I liked the idea of phone makers like WileyFox installing Cyanogen as the OS on their phone, but then Cyanogen stopped being maintained and those phones lost their USP. I have rooted phones because of my dislike of being another dot on the radar screens of big tech as they track my movements. I don't use a phone for much other than calls and texts, anything that I decide needs better security gets done on computers at home, so I don't feel like I risk so much if I root a phone.
Sounds like you want a Pixel phone with GrapheneOS. Or a iPhone. Both are very good for security and privacy while GrapheneOS has better privacy.

Also rooting isn't necessary to remove system apps.
Rooting only destroy so much system security features. See Android | Madaidan's Insecurities

Stopspying

Level 11
Verified
Jan 21, 2018
Sounds like you want a Pixel phone with GrapheneOS. Or a iPhone. Both are very good for security and privacy while GrapheneOS has better privacy.

Also rooting isn't necessary to remove system apps.
Rooting only destroy so much system security features. See Android | Madaidan's Insecurities
I think you may well be right! I read some reviews of the new Pixels very recently, but decided any purchase can wait a while longer as I have other priorities for now.

GrapheneOS certainly interests me, I've been reading up on it for a while but again its not my priority for now, I don't have the time to try to understand it better at the moment. I've read up on LinageOS too, but GrapheneOS is more like what I want. There is so much reading to do, I need to live at least twice!

I like the way the author of the site you linked to writes, they have a fairly concise way of making their points, when others, like me, can use many more words to say less! I've seen their site before, possibly from following a link provided by you before. Thanks.

pablozi

Level 27
Verified
Trusted
Jun 14, 2011
@ Pablozi As for staying away from Android, do you mean full-fat Google Android or all flavours of Android? Apple phones are more secure but Apple still knows a lot about you when you use their products. Is there a good alternative which does respect the user more?
I mean mainstream Android which often comes loaded witch a bunch of crap (like Samsung, LG etc.)
There are great systems built on top of Android - Graphene OS for example - but let's be honest, they are not targeting average user for which iOS might be the most convenient option.

Upendra19

Level 5
Mar 5, 2019

pablozi

Level 27
Verified
Trusted
Jun 14, 2011
Why is this news, lots of phone manufacturers come with pre-installed, non-removable apps. My Xperia came with Facebook, but doesn't mean you should boycott it. Just disable its components, if you don't want it.
I have to disagree.
It pisses me off when I buy a smartphone and it comes with non removable crap - it makes me feel like I am not really the owner of it.
That's why I ditched Android in favor of iPhone.

Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
Jan 8, 2011
Or buy a phone without this dross installed in the first place?
No, because people look for particular features from a manufacturer (brand loyalty), that others don't provide. And you won't know what is preinstalled unless you're the first buyer in your region. Review units aren't always the final product.

There are great systems built on top of Android - Graphene OS for example - but let's be honest, they are not targeting average user for which iOS might be the most convenient option.
People constantly moan about iPhones being non-customisable or "too expensive". But in reality it's a great, reliable and affordable phone with zero preinstalled third party apps. It's probably one of America's finest product that you can buy to date, next to Tesla.

It does exactly what a phone should and more, with 5-6 years of security and OS updates.

On Android, you're waiting for updates months after original release, and may not even get the next OS version.

Android (Samsung S20 128gb) ~$800 over 3 years of supported updates.
iOS (iPhone 11 128gb) ~$800 over 5 years of supported updates.

Throwing this in there about Custom ROM - Why Graphene OS may not be suitable for you..