OnePlus phones will have Facebook services pre-installed and cannot removed

pablozi

Level 27
Verified
Trusted
Jun 14, 2011
People constantly moan about iPhones being non-customisable or "too expensive". But in reality it's a great, reliable and affordable phone with zero preinstalled third party apps. It's probably one of America's finest product that you can buy to date, next to Tesla.

It does exactly what a phone should and more, with 5-6 years of security and OS updates.

On Android, you're waiting for updates months after original release, and may not even get the next OS version.
That's exactly what I am talking about. :emoji_beer:

upnorth

Verified
Staff member
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2015
Why is this news, lots of phone manufacturers come with pre-installed, non-removable apps. My Xperia came with Facebook, but doesn't mean you should boycott it. Just disable its components, if you don't want it.
I can't speak for other users and their phone brands/vendors, but on my own phone I simply click and disabled 3 network options for Facebook and it's built-in service/s. Mobiledata, Backgrounddata and Roamingdata. That works.

The OnePlus brand has a much bigger issue then pre-installed apps.

Deletedmessiah

Level 24
Verified
Content Creator
Jan 16, 2017
Same problem on my Note 10+ in Romania, bought it in January, i cannot uninstall Facebook app, only deactivate it LOL. Facebook messenger i can uninstall, but this is some BS, i wonder if i root my phone, any risk to damage it?
I would also recommend adb to uninstall facebook and other garbage instead of rooting. I don't dislike rooting, but rooting trips knox in Samsung devices. Its some kind of hardware fuse in motherboard. And even if you unroot your phone back and install stock OS again, you'll not be able to use some Samsung features like S-Health, Samsung Pay, Secure Folder etc. Personally I don't care about other features but I wouldn't sacrifice Secure Folder. Great feature. You can install OneUI based custom ROMs to keep using those features while rooted but this maybe risky for inexperienced users.

Upendra19

Level 5
Mar 5, 2019
you'll not be able to use some Samsung features like S-Health, Samsung Pay, Secure Folder etc. Personally I don't care about other features but I wouldn't sacrifice Secure Folder. Great feature.
Secure Folder is feature I like most in Samsung mobiles. I don't think there is any replacement app for secure folder. You can create work profile but still Secure Folder is best and easy option and Samsung is providing this feature on mid-range devices too.

jackuars

Level 26
Verified
Jul 2, 2014
To make it even less secure? No please not.
Not really. When I root my phone, I'm in total control of it, and not the manufacturers. To be honest, if someone know what they are doing, before rooting their phones, deciding whether to install a new custom ROM or kernel etc, they can stay secure as long as they want.

It's important that the user installs only trusted applications from Playstore and deny superuser permission to every untrusted application. Just like how you use Windows. Mostly I go with custom ROM's that's regularly updated and implements custom security patches.

In the end I'm in a win-win situation: no bloatware, better performance, better battery life and finally lots of custom flavours.

jackuars

Level 26
Verified
Jul 2, 2014
People constantly moan about iPhones being non-customisable or "too expensive". But in reality it's a great, reliable and affordable phone with zero preinstalled third party apps. It's probably one of America's finest product that you can buy to date, next to Tesla.

It's true that it's one of America's finest and a great phone. In reality, iPhones aren't actually affordable in most the developing nations around the world. It costs almost the same as a gaming PC, and is around 200$-220$ more than it's price in US for just the base model. This actually hurts deep where value of currency in most countries is less than half of that of US. In our case it's 1/70th that of US dollar.

This is why people say it's an expensive piece of hardware.

Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
Jan 8, 2011
It's true that it's one of America's finest and a great phone. In reality, iPhones aren't actually affordable in most the developing nations around the world. It costs almost the same as a gaming PC, and is around 200$-220$ more than it's price in US for just the base model. This actually hurts deep where value of currency in most countries is less than half of that of US. In our case it's 1/70th that of US dollar.

This is why people say it's an expensive piece of hardware.
Android and Chinese Phones are most popular in developing nations, because of how cheap they can manufacture these devices.

FYI, My comments always relate to developed countries. Therefore I stand with my opinion that iPhones are affordable, the cheapest brand new is 400$.

Upendra19

Level 5
Mar 5, 2019
Android and Chinese Phones are most popular in developing nations, because of how cheap they can manufacture these devices.

FYI, My comments always relate to developed countries. Therefore I stand with my opinion that iPhones are affordable, the cheapest brand new is 400$.
Yes iPhones can be affordable in developed nation. But same iphone of 400$ is priced 570$ in my country. They can be affordable in US or UK but not everywhere. I hope this will change when Apple moves its production in India.

Cortex

Level 25
Verified
Aug 4, 2016
I never buy phones under contract, I always buy iPhone/iPad's for example the model before the current one or earlier, these can be had in UK around for a quarter the price of latest or less - These are new phones in sealed Apple boxes, the weird thing is when you choose to sell them you get around the same money as you paid - Two of my daughters have an 11 & the differences between mine are small, the OS is the same anyway - I don't need the latest phone.

One of the rules of capitalism come into force with Apple products, that's how much do you sell an item for? It''s nothing to do with the cost of manufacturing an item: You sell it for the amount people are willing to pay: That's it

Last edited:
Reactions: Upendra19

SecurityNightmares

Level 35
Verified
Jan 9, 2020
Not really. When I root my phone, I'm in total control of it, and not the manufacturers. To be honest, if someone know what they are doing, before rooting their phones, deciding whether to install a new custom ROM or kernel etc, they can stay secure as long as they want.
That's not how it works. You should read the madaidan link about root and how it easily can abused.
You only reduce your security drastically without any advantages. For what did you root? Afwall? Can be easily bypassed.
VPN beside adblock? Use private (encrypted) DNS instead of adblock
Backup? Use ADB

Custom ROMs, recovery, .. are a security desaster and make more problems then they should solve. Security isn't part of them.

Mostly I go with custom ROM's that's regularly updated and implements custom security patches.
Custom ROMs miss firmware updates so your device is still insecure and even 1 month is enough to get compromised by a attacker. As devices are used for years which custom ROMs this is only very dangerous.

Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
Jan 8, 2011
Yes iPhones can be affordable in developed nation. But same iphone of 400$ is priced 570$ in my country. They can be affordable in US or UK but not everywhere. I hope this will change when Apple moves its production in India.
Production in India may lower the tariff costs, but have to wait and see how Apple/Government plays it out.

You're slightly mislead.

The price you see is not the price we pay. $399 = £305 (exchange rate) .

£399 is not $399, but ($522), but they converted back to sterling to give that familiar £398~

An iPhone SE 64GB costs £420 ($550) including 20% tax in the UK. The UK, EU and the rest of the world still pay considerably more than the US.

A $400 Phone will cost us near $550 for a person in the UK with the country tariff fees and taxes.

Taxes varies from state to state in America, so it may be 399 or it may be more.

Last edited:

Marko :)

Level 18
Verified
Aug 12, 2015
More like another reason to stay away from Android.
JRr4Bfm.gif

I mean mainstream Android which often comes loaded witch a bunch of crap (like Samsung, LG etc.)
There are great systems built on top of Android - Graphene OS for example - but let's be honest, they are not targeting average user for which iOS might be the most convenient option.
As an Android user, I can honestly say that I don't care about bloatware. I just uninstall the updates, disable it and that's it. I would care if the bloatware itself would take significant space on the device though, but that isn't the case. And I don't feel like I should run ADB just to free few MB of space. That's just not worth for me.

On the other hand, you have to understand that Apple's products are really expensive. And not everyone can afford them. Personally, I can afford them, but I wouldn't get one even if it was free.

Why is this news, lots of phone manufacturers come with pre-installed, non-removable apps. My Xperia came with Facebook, but doesn't mean you should boycott it. Just disable its components, if you don't want it.

THIS

I have to disagree.
It pisses me off when I buy a smartphone and it comes with non removable crap - it makes me feel like I am not really the owner of it.
That's why I ditched Android in favor of iPhone.
And it doesn't piss you off that you can't expand storage? Or that you can't get admin rights legally? Or that, when your device breaks, you have to pay expensive repair?

I never owned and iPhone, nor I'm planning to. But I do know a lot of them that has it so I know the limitations they face. And, whenever I asked "why not Android?", I never got concrete and reasonable answer (always "it doesn't lag", "5 GB free iCloud storage" and etc.)

No, because people look for particular features from a manufacturer (brand loyalty), that others don't provide. And you won't know what is preinstalled unless you're the first buyer in your region. Review units aren't always the final product.
I really don't see what could Huawei or Xiaomi provide me that my Xperia couldn't. I think brand loyalty is valid only for Apple fans; just ask them "why not Android?". You won't get any normal answer why they prefer iPhone. Trust me...

It does exactly what a phone should and more, with 5-6 years of security and OS updates.

On Android, you're waiting for updates months after original release, and may not even get the next OS version.
Honestly, for a device that cost around 13.000 HRK ($2.060, €1.743) and more in Croatia, I would expect at least 5 years of warranty and support. At least. For God's sake, you can buy a car for that price! Heck, you can go to luxury cruise on Adriatic coast for 8 days and more!

And, just for a reference. Minimum wage in Croatia is €435,55 (that's what you get when you pay all taxes). Average wage (with taxes paid) is €887.

I can't speak for other users and their phone brands/vendors, but on my own phone I simply click and disabled 3 network options for Facebook and it's built-in service/s. Mobiledata, Backgrounddata and Roamingdata. That works.

The OnePlus brand has a much bigger issue then pre-installed apps.
I keep avoiding all Chinese manufacturers because of security and privacy issues. You cannot expect that from Chinese phones. Like every month or so Chinese phones are in hot water because they found another security/privacy issue.

Just disable the app, i have disabled most of google apps on my oneplus 5t that i dont ever use...

But its nokia for me next i guess, in 2 years probably...
FiecBgC.gif

This is not accurate in my experience. iPhones are no way near affordable in my developing nation. iPhones are great but still overpriced.
Apple devices may be affordable only in a few countries, but in majority, they are expensive as St. Peter's scrambled eggs, as we say here.

Last edited:

pablozi

Level 27
Verified
Trusted
Jun 14, 2011
And it doesn't piss you off that you can't expand storage? Or that you can't get admin rights legally? Or that, when your device breaks, you have to pay expensive repair?
Don't care about the storage - 128GB + 200GB iCloud storage suits me well.
Why should I ever need to gain admin rights? I am not a 16yo fascinated by new icons and themes.
Don't care about device being damaged either - everyone living in The Netherlands knows why (inboedelverzekering ;))

I was using almost all of the mobile platforms except for PalmOS and Balckberry, I was using budget, mid-range and high end devices and at this point in time iPhone is my smartphone of choice. Might it change in the future? Sure it can! I am not Apple's fanboy but I simply don't like Google's tentacles tangling around every single aspect of my life.

Marko :)

Level 18
Verified
Aug 12, 2015
Don't care about the storage - 128GB + 200GB iCloud storage suits me well.
Why should I ever need to gain admin rights? I am not a 16yo fascinated by new icons and themes.
So, to summarize, iPhone is for people who want Apple to pick what's best for them.

Don't care about device being damaged either - everyone living in The Netherlands knows why (inboedelverzekering ;))
We have insurance of mobile devices too, although, not many people have it. I guess mobile phones aren't that important to us...

I am not Apple's fanboy but I simply don't like Google's tentacles tangling around every single aspect of my life.
I'm sorry, but that's something Apple fanboy would say (I was given that as an answer once). 😆

Apple is spying too. If you think that Apple is really a privacy company, just check their privacy policy. They are as private as Microsoft is.

And, you can turn off anything you don't like about Google. You're free to do so. 😉

Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
Jan 8, 2011
Why would they do this? Is Facebook paying OnePlus to do this?
Likely, but it is not a big deal.

I think brand loyalty is valid only for Apple fans; just ask them "why not Android?". You won't get any normal answer why they prefer iPhone. Trust me...

Or that, when your device breaks, you have to pay expensive repair?
I disagree, but that's your opinion about Apple users.

There was a survey done (somewhere on the Internet/YouTube) and most people keep their phones until it breaks, then replace with a new phone.

If users have existing Microsoft 365 Office subscriptions they can use the OneDrive app to backup their Photos for both Android and iOS.
Don't care about the storage - 128GB + 200GB iCloud storage suits me well
iCloud Family Plan (shared 200GB) is also a good choice for multiple user devices. Is that the one you use?

Reactions: pablozi

pablozi

Level 27
Verified
Trusted
Jun 14, 2011
So, to summarize, iPhone is for people who want Apple to pick what's best for them.
That's exactly what Android fanboy would say :)
I choose for iPhone because what's really important for me is well optimized OS and support for security updates.
All the Android's bells and whistles? Guess I am too old to give a .
We have insurance of mobile devices too, although, not many people have it. I guess mobile phones aren't that important to us...
That's the different kind of insurance - it is mandatory for every house owner but in case of "emergency" you can claim your damaged mobile devices, TV's etc.
Apple is spying too. If you think that Apple is really a privacy company, just check their privacy policy. They are as private as Microsoft is.
I know - privacy is and illusion once you are connected to the Web, however I trust Microsoft and Apple more than I trust Google.

Reactions: CyberTech