pablozi

Level 25
Verified
Trusted
iCloud Family Plan (shared 200GB) is also a good choice for multiple user devices. Is that the one you use?
Yes, exactly.
I also have Microsoft 365 Personal subscription with 1TB of OneDrive space in case of disaster.

Marko :)

Level 16
Verified
That's exactly what Android fanboy would say :)
I choose for iPhone because what's really important for me is well optimized OS and support for security updates.
All the Android's bells and whistles? Guess I am too old to give a s****.
Just don't update too early mate! We both know what happened in past. 😉

That's the different kind of insurance - it is mandatory for every house owner but in case of "emergency" you can claim your damaged mobile devices, TV's etc.
I'm not sure if it's mandatory here though. But you do have an option to insurance all your devices. I don't have an insurance for my devices, because I don't actually need any. Never broke a phone or any other electronics I own in my life. 😎

I know - privacy is and illusion once you are connected to the Web, however I trust Microsoft and Apple more than I trust Google.
I trust Google and Apple more than I trust Microsoft. I can't trust company that made "privacy-oriented" browser that collect user data more than other browsers.

jackuars

Level 24
Verified
That's not how it works. You should read the madaidan link about root and how it easily can abused.
You only reduce your security drastically without any advantages. For what did you root? Afwall? Can be easily bypassed.
VPN beside adblock? Use private (encrypted) DNS instead of adblock
Backup? Use ADB

Custom ROMs, recovery, .. are a security desaster and make more problems then they should solve. Security isn't part of them.
Most Android phones have a warranty of 1 year or so. They get outdated much faster than iPhones and doesn't get crucial updates after a period. Custom ROM's breathe new life into old phones post their warranty. Like I said before, these are the reasons why I root my phone:

1. Better battery life - Hibernating apps in the background with Greenify is one reason I get better battery life. Secondly underclocking CPU and GPU during normal usage gives me more SOT than even a fresh new device.
2. Zero bloatware - Why waste storage space on your device? Why should you painstakingly hide and disable apps when you can completely remove them? For the ones you can't, force stop them from being in the background forever.
3. Custom ROMs - best part of rooting and my primary reason. Did you know that these developers can often bring updates and features to your Android device than the manufacturers? Not to forget all the custom flavours you can have with the multitude of choices, just like Linux distro's!
4. Latest Android version - A lot of Android devices stop supporting higher Android versions after few cycles. Rooting and installing a custom ROM, let's you stay updated with the latest android version.
4. Backup - since you asked, the default non root backup is decent, however with root you can backup preferences & entire apps, including Nandroid system images.
5. Performance - i don't need to stress this, but using a custom kernel gives you a much better touch experience with latest NVT drivers, not to mention faster charging speed and battery life.
6. Customization - not a few tweaks, must insanely mad customization, which makes Android special, including Magisk modules.
7. Automation & power - Tasker is probably the most useful app on an Android device with the amount of automation it can do in your daily life.
8. Gaming goodness - For a gaming enthusiast like me, overclocking my phone, gets all the juices flowing with the performance I get on graphic heavy games
9. Host level adblocking - Adaway says it all

Like I said a person who's unlocking the full potential of an Android device needs to know what they are doing when rooting their phone. You can deny any superuser request you want, but you need to know what to and what not to.

Security geeks will stay paranoid no matter how many layers of security they have. Like forcing a home user to buy commercial licenses of antivirus when free versions are good enough.

Have a look at my beautiful rooted Xiaomi POCO F1 with AncientOS ROM and Optimus Drunk custom kernel having modified colors for every QS tile.

Screenshot_20200807-205558_Evie.pngScreenshot_20200807-212711453.jpg

Last edited:

security123

Level 24
Verified
I get your points and if you're fine with that, good. I use custom ROMs for many years (since CyanogenMod, then the switch to LineageOS) and i get several problems, stress moments and even loss data. Even from backups but they sometimes doesn't work. I also hate always what my low cost device only get so less update support from vendor.
After all the years usage and much reading, i finally found GrapheneOS and switch to Google Pixel 3a and love it. Runs a lot! better then any ROM i used before and it's also so easy to install and use that it's ridiculous.
My story.

Just a info: You don't need ROOT for installing a custom ROM.
Your second screenshot show Android 10 native feature ;)

Marko :)

Level 16
Verified
Most Android phones have a warranty of 1 year or so. They get outdated much faster than iPhones and doesn't get crucial updates after a period. Custom ROM's breathe new life into old phones post their warranty.
Two year warranty in the minimum in the EU.
Like I said before, these are the reasons why I root my phone:

1. Better battery life - Hibernating apps in the background with Greenify is one reason I get better battery life. Secondly underclocking CPU and GPU during normal usage gives me more SOT than even a fresh new device.
2. Zero bloatware - Why waste storage space on your device? Why should you painstakingly hide and disable apps when you can completely remove them? For the ones you can't, force stop them from being in the background forever.
3. Custom ROMs - best part of rooting and my primary reason. Did you know that these developers can often bring updates and features to your Android device than the manufacturers? Not to forget all the custom flavours you can have with the multitude of choices, just like Linux distro's!
4. Latest Android version - A lot of Android devices stop supporting higher Android versions after few cycles. Rooting and installing a custom ROM, let's you stay updated with the latest android version.
5. Backup - since you asked, the default non root backup is decent, however with root you can backup preferences & entire apps, including Nandroid system images.
6. Performance - i don't need to stress this, but using a custom kernel gives you a much better touch experience with latest NVT drivers, not to mention faster charging speed and battery life.
7. Customization - not a few tweaks, must insanely mad customization, which makes Android special, including Magisk modules.
8. Automation & power - Tasker is probably the most useful app on an Android device with the amount of automation it can do in your daily life.
9. Gaming goodness - For a gaming enthusiast like me, overclocking my phone, gets all the juices flowing with the performance I get on graphic heavy games
10. Host level adblocking - Adaway says it all

Like I said a person who's unlocking the full potential of an Android device needs to know what they are doing when rooting their phone. You can deny any superuser request you want, but you need to know what to and what not to.
1. You can actually do all of that without the root;
  • Greenify works on non-root devices
  • You can underclock the CPU and lower its usage by just using battery saving mode all the time.
2. Bloatware can be removed by using ADB. All you need is phone, USB cable and the PC. So, this can also be done without root.
3. Root isn't a requirement for installing custom ROM. Also, it's important to keep in mind that a lot of custom ROMs released are buggy and have some problems. There are ROMs like LineageOS and others, but these are limited to certain devices.
4. Again, if a popular ROM is available for your device, you will get recent Android version. BUT, if your phone isn't supported, chances are you're only getting buggy custom ROM from random forum. That not only means some things might not work after installation, but you have to trust that developer too.
5. Most apps have some kind of backup option; either by exporting to a file or by connecting with an account. I have my ways how I do simple backup/restore.
6. My Xperia is really fast, works without lag and freezing. Even battery lasts very long. After two years of using it, I haven't experienced deterioration in battery life.
7. I'm not really into customizing things; I use default launcher with default icons. Only change wallpaper from time to time and that's it.
8. Not using Tasker or any app like it. Though, I did always want to try Tasker. Maybe now is the right time.
9. Not a gamer; not on phone, not on PC. Overclocking CPU is the least important thing for me.
10. I'm sorry to say this—AdGuard Premium eats your AdAway for breakfast, even without the root. Literally the best app I have on my phone! 😁

Security geeks will stay paranoid no matter how many layers of security they have. Like forcing a home user to buy commercial licenses of antivirus when free versions are good enough.

Have a look at my beautiful rooted Xiaomi POCO F1 with AncientOS ROM and Optimus Drunk custom kernel having modified colors for every QS tile.
While I am security geek, I'm not paranoid.

Rooting has few downsides that aren't mentioned. Like, some apps cannot be used on rooted devices. And I don't feel like unrooting the device every time I want use certain apps. There are a lot of (local Croatian) apps that don't work on rooted device for security reasons. Even if, let's say, those apps can be used while faking root status, it's just not worth for me. I would hardly get any real benefit from it. I can only risk bricking the device; that's all.

But, I do understand why you root the device and install custom ROM. I would do it too if I had Chinese phone.

CyberTech

Level 32
Verified
Production in India may lower the tariff costs, but have to wait and see how Apple/Government plays it out.

You're slightly mislead.

The price you see is not the price we pay. $399 = £305 (exchange rate) .

£399 is not $399, but ($522), but they converted back to sterling to give that familiar £398~

An iPhone SE 64GB costs £420 ($550) including 20% tax in the UK. The UK, EU and the rest of the world still pay considerably more than the US.

A $400 Phone will cost us near $550 for a person in the UK with the country tariff fees and taxes.

Taxes varies from state to state in America, so it may be 399 or it may be more.
an iPhone SE 64GB 2020 it was $400 its now around $480-500 due to the VAT here recently which it sucks! mine its $480

jackuars

Level 24
Verified
Two year warranty in the minimum in the EU.

1. You can actually do all of that without the root;
  • Greenify works on non-root devices
  • You can underclock the CPU and lower its usage by just using battery saving mode all the time.
2. Bloatware can be removed by using ADB. All you need is phone, USB cable and the PC. So, this can also be done without root.
3. Root isn't a requirement for installing custom ROM. Also, it's important to keep in mind that a lot of custom ROMs released are buggy and have some problems. There are ROMs like LineageOS and others, but these are limited to certain devices.
4. Again, if a popular ROM is available for your device, you will get recent Android version. BUT, if your phone isn't supported, chances are you're only getting buggy custom ROM from random forum. That not only means some things might not work after installation, but you have to trust that developer too.
5. Most apps have some kind of backup option; either by exporting to a file or by connecting with an account. I have my ways how I do simple backup/restore.
6. My Xperia is really fast, works without lag and freezing. Even battery lasts very long. After two years of using it, I haven't experienced deterioration in battery life.
7. I'm not really into customizing things; I use default launcher with default icons. Only change wallpaper from time to time and that's it.
8. Not using Tasker or any app like it. Though, I did always want to try Tasker. Maybe now is the right time.
9. Not a gamer; not on phone, not on PC. Overclocking CPU is the least important thing for me.
10. I'm sorry to say this—AdGuard Premium eats your AdAway for breakfast, even without the root. Literally the best app I have on my phone! 😁

While I am security geek, I'm not paranoid.

Rooting has few downsides that aren't mentioned. Like, some apps cannot be used on rooted devices. And I don't feel like unrooting the device every time I want use certain apps. There are a lot of (local Croatian) apps that don't work on rooted device for security reasons. Even if, let's say, those apps can be used while faking root status, it's just not worth for me. I would hardly get any real benefit from it. I can only risk bricking the device; that's all.

But, I do understand why you root the device and install custom ROM. I would do it too if I had Chinese phone.
Since I don't have much time to comment today, I'll brief my words. You can do some of these on a limited basis while your phone is not rooted, and I stress it, *limited basis*, I was totally unhappy with the limitations, being a power user. As an example, Greenify works without root, but not really the way you want it to, it's like running your car at 60% of its top speed.

Another example, true backup is achieved when user has to do little to nothing when you are setting up your phone. If you ever need to factory reset your phone, (or switch custom ROM'S in my case) with root, how do you like when you simply flash a zip file, that all the apps along with the preferences and in app settings, and even your system level settings is restored in 2 minutes and you don't even have to re-install any of these apps from the Playstore or tinker with the settings?

You can literally run any app on your phone using the Magisk hide option. It's the first thing you install when you root your phone. ROM's that passes ctsProfile and basicIntegrity with or without Magisk is what I use. While Lineage is an age old ROM, there are plenty of ROM's that are fairly stable and much better.

No software is without faults or bugs, that is why they get updates. It's important to use ROM's that gets timely updates. It's true that rooting is not for everybody, but whn you are experienced to do it, you unlock your phone's potential in ways you never thought it would.

Last edited:

Deletedmessiah

Level 23
Verified
Content Creator
LineageOS revived my old phone which had Android 6 as final update and to my surprise it(Android 9) was pretty stable and performed better than stock OS on such old device. Unfortunately the phone died because of hardware damage or else I'd still be using it. Even without root, Lineage's wifi/data control per app and privacy guard were very nice features.
And magisk hide can bypass safetynet unless you install Xposed. Although Google is planning to introduce some hardware based safetynet so it may not be possible for the future devices. I don't need root these days but losing custom roms or getting them crippled will be very unfortunate.

security123

Level 24
Verified
Lineage's wifi/data control per app and privacy guard were very nice features.
And magisk hide can bypass safetynet unless you install Xposed.
Both aren't working.
LineageOS wifi/ data control can be circumvented by apps with e.g. using download manager (same with Afwall). While not perfect, GrapheneOS internal network permission is a much better solution.
Google can still detect that a custom ROM is used, so it doesn't matter if Magisk try to spoof SafetyNet or not.

Deletedmessiah

Level 23
Verified
Content Creator
Both aren't working.
LineageOS wifi/ data control can be circumvented by apps with e.g. using download manager (same with Afwall). While not perfect, GrapheneOS internal network permission is a much better solution.
Google can still detect that a custom ROM is used, so it doesn't matter if Magisk try to spoof SafetyNet or not.
The apps which I denied wifi and data connection couldn't connect to internet to show ads and online related features didn't work so the control was working? I use IDM+ download manager which wasn't working on data so control was working there too. Unless I got lucky and the apps I use don't bypass these methods of circumventing? Or simply the apps developers didn't bother with it since custom roms users are pretty niche? The bypasses maybe out in the wild, I don't know, but its not useless feature as long as its not exploited by developers.

Its not about whether Google can detect customs roms or not but its about whether those safetynet apps work or not. Since it shows netflix on playstore and LG home app was working after turning on magisk hide so I'd say it mattered and not useless. Even android pay's said to be working but I don't use it and have no experience with it. Lineage without root didn't fail, rooting Lineage with its own SU failed so I installed magisk and enabled magisk hide then it didn't fail anymore.
Now as I mentioned above of hardware based safetynet, it may not work in newer devices in near future but thats yet to happen.

Cortex

Level 22
Verified
Don't care about the storage - 128GB + 200GB iCloud storage suits me well.
Why should I ever need to gain admin rights? I am not a 16yo fascinated by new icons and themes.
Don't care about device being damaged either - everyone living in The Netherlands knows why (inboedelverzekering ;))

I was using almost all of the mobile platforms except for PalmOS and Balckberry, I was using budget, mid-range and high end devices and at this point in time iPhone is my smartphone of choice. Might it change in the future? Sure it can! I am not Apple's fanboy but I simply don't like Google's tentacles tangling around every single aspect of my life.
I agree with you 100% - As for me I would have to be paid to use an android, I've used them but never again :):)