Opera 55 offers better control of web pages and more accessible bookmarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Thread author
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
It has been a big summer for us at Opera, and today we are excited to unveil Opera 55.

The new stable build of our browser includes a smarter layout for the settings page, an expanded security badge and page information pop-up for better page control, easier Chrome Web Store extension installation and more accessible bookmarks.

Our busy and exciting summer continued on July 27 when we became a listed company on the Nasdaq market and enjoyed a successful initial public offering. This was a major milestone for our company, and one we could not have accomplished without the support and trust from you, our users! A week later, Opera launched as a snap in the Snap Store for Linux systems.

In the meantime, our desktop team has been hard at work to produce Opera 55 for you. Please read on to learn to more. Enjoy!

Opera55_Mockup_Mac-1-700x438.png

New layout of settings page with dark theme support

Opera 55’s settings page has been restructured into four sections to help you locate and adjust the browser’s features, security options, wallpapers and more. In addition, Opera’s dark theme will be applied to the settings page if you have it enabled for the browser.

The four sections of the settings page include Basic, Privacy and security, Features and Browser.

Basic appears when opening settings and includes the most popular features and options in Opera. This section includes options for blocking ads, wallpapers, appearances, the sidebar, synchronization, search engines, changing your default browser and browser startup options.

The remaining three sections are nested in Advanced. You can click Advanced in the left sidebar of the settings page to reveal them.

Privacy and security includes preferences for privacy and security and webRTC.

Features includes options for Opera’s VPN, battery saver, Instant Search, My Flow, search pop-up, video pop out, personal news and Opera Turbo.

Finally, Browser includes options for the start page, the user interface, languages, downloads, system, shortcuts and for reset settings.

Use the search bar in the top-right corner of the settings page if you are having trouble locating something.

The settings page can be opened by clicking the cogwheel icon in the left sidebar of Opera’s start page. You can adjust common settings in Opera by opening Easy Setup in the top-right corner of the start page.

Stable_New_Settings-2-700x438.png

Better control of the pages you visit with an expanded badge pop-up menu

Security badges in Opera provide important security and page information about the current website or web page you are viewing. They tell you if a page has a secured connection, what kind of certificate it has and which content settings are used.

Opera 55 improves the page information pop-up by providing all security and content information about the page in one place, as well as offering shortcuts to Opera’s settings page for adjusting the page’s content settings. Now, for example, if you wish for a website to stop tracking your location, you can choose to have Opera always block location tracking from the pop-up instead of going to the settings page.

To open the page information pop-up for the web page you are viewing, click the badge just to the left of the web address in the address and search bar. The top of the pop-up will show if the web page is on a secure or an insecure connection. Certificates and cookies used for this page can be viewed in detail by clicking their respective links in the pop-up.

You can adjust content settings for an entire website from the security badge pop-up. Click on the Site settings button to open the content settings page and customize how Opera will handle content such as Flash, camera and microphone access or ad blocking for the website.

Stable55_Site_Settings-700x438.png

Easy installation of Chrome extensions

Extensions from the Chrome Web Store are now easier to install on Opera 55. The next time you visit the extensions web store, you will be offered to click the Install Extension button found at the top of the page. This will allow you to quickly add extensions from the Chrome Web Store onto Opera.

Adding Chrome extensions is simple. Browse Chrome’s catalogue for the extension you want and click the + Add to Opera button. To complete the installation, you will then go to Opera’s extensions manager and confirm the installation by clicking the install button.

Please note that some extensions require APIs (applications programming interfaces) that are not fully supported in Opera. Follow through with the extension’s installation onto Opera to confirm its compatibility.

The Chrome Web Store icon will appear in the address and search bar after you install the web store extension.

Stable55_ChromeExtensions-700x438.png

Easier access to your bookmarks

The bookmarks bar is turned on by default for Opera 55 so you can access your bookmarks at anytime while browsing.

To add a web page to the bookmarks bar, click the heart icon on the right side of the address and search bar and select Bookmarks Bar from the dropdown menu. You can later edit, open or delete the bookmark by right-clicking or Ctrl+clicking it and opening its context menu.
There are also other ways to add page to bookmarks bar – in Settings or Easy Setup.

If you have not enabled the bookmarks bar before updating to Opera 55, there will be five suggested bookmarks for popular websites in your country. These bookmarks will not appear and your original bookmarks will remain if you already have the bookmarks bar enabled.

You can disable the bookmarks bar in Opera’s settings page, in the bookmark bar’s context menu with Hide Bookmarks Bar or in Easy Setup. You can edit or remove bookmarks in the bookmarks page, accessible from the heart icon in the sidebar of Opera’s start page.

Opera 55 includes Chromium version 68.0.3440.106 .

Review the developmental life cycle of Opera 55 in the changelog here.

Happy browsing!

Installation links:

Source: Opera 55 offers better control of web pages and more accessible bookmarks - Opera Desktop

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
The new settings page is quite bad. It just feels so damn cluttered. I don't understand why the hell everyone needs to follow retarded Google design models. THEY AREN'T FREAKING GOOD AT ALL! But if Google makes it, it sure has to be great. Not everything Google makes is gold. They make a lot of turds that are praised by masses just because they are made by Google.

Otherwise, yeah, Opera is currently by far the best browser. People are freaking out over Chinese ownership, but at least the browser is super functional and you don't have to add tons of crap to make it half usable like all other browsers. And they make one of the best browsers for mobile devices.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
The new settings page is quite bad. It just feels so damn cluttered. I don't understand why the hell everyone needs to follow retarded Google design models. THEY AREN'T FREAKING GOOD AT ALL! But if Google makes it, it sure has to be great. Not everything Google makes is gold. They make a lot of turds that are praised by masses just because they are made by Google.

Otherwise, yeah, Opera is currently by far the best browser. People are freaking out over Chinese ownership, but at least the browser is super functional and you don't have to add tons of crap to make it half usable like all other browsers. And they make one of the best browsers for mobile devices.
I kinda like it, on beta 55 now

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Didnt no coin stop it?
Code:
https://windscribe.com/miner
NoCoin in Opera stable version dosen't block it ( Open Operas built-in Task Manager, Shift+Esc then open the url and watch the CPU for the Windscribe tab ) and sure I even tried Adblock Plus as that also has the NoCoin list but possible to edit, without success. One could also report the url on NoCoins Github page but that advice was testing my patience too much.

Opera has the NoCoin list built-in so it shouldn't IMO be my responsibility as a user to try fix a feature that's broken or not fully working in Opera. After spent way too much time and energy on the issue I more or less gave up after getting no where with the Opera team and on Operas Forum, when someone higher up at Opera actually did acknowledge through a mail that the issue is in Opera as the browser does not block the mining ( exactly what I was trying to point out ) and promised me a fix but that was 2 updates back.

The only thing that blocks the mining in Opera, what I know about is the software Heilig Defense MinerOff but it dosen't work automatic and on my last test the page freeze when I killed the mining and I'm forced to close the page/tab. It feelt a bit more effective a few weeks back.

The new setting page actually feels more organized and especially with the Dark theme available. I also have to test the VPN again. Thanks @Moonhorse for the info! (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: vtqhtr413

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I also use the built-in Adblocker along with NoCoin and it still dosen't block/kill the mining but what happens with your CPU when you visit that url/link? Can you please post a screenshot on your Operas Task manager? Click Shift+ESC on your keyboard or go through Menu/Developer.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I also use the built-in Adblocker along with NoCoin and it still dosen't block/kill the mining but what happens with your CPU when you visit that url/link? Can you please post a screenshot on your Operas Task manager? Click Shift+ESC on your keyboard or go through Menu/Developer.
opera3.png

So does this mean its mining still?

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
No! I wouldn't really consider that mining but this is how it looks for me.

Thtj02ml_o.png

Do you have the Nano blocker also enabled?

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Hmm let me try disable NoCoin and just use the default adblock...

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Hmm let me try disable NoCoin and just use the default adblock...
I thought their no coin list were out of date, but it seems default filters are blocking mining. You can also add filters manually, but i just prefer nano to avoid adblock detection. Actually i could go for built in + fanboys annoyances and just dont care about detect, would make some sites not to break that easily.

edit: operan built-in adblocker + malwarebytes + privacy possum = works very great

Last edited:

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Fanboys list seems to be better then NoCoin's filter list. Same as for some other lists which are default. Also the ones used and recommended by Evjl's Rain are also suitable for blocking Crypto Mining attempts.

~LDogg

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Fanboys list seems to be better then NoCoin's filter list. Same as for some other lists which are default. Also the ones used and recommended by Evjl's Rain are also suitable for blocking Crypto Mining attempts.

~LDogg
Yes, can just add most of default lists that ublock origin uses and achieve huge memory savings compared to having 3rd party blocker. Or just go with default + has some kind of pop-up blocker

@upnorth i bet aliens, aliens everywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.