Opera is about to be sold to a Chines group, even antivirus Qihoo 360.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrs30

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016

Jrs30

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Google Translator serves happily

Thanks for links
Very good, this extension for Firefox helps me a lot to understand WHAT you write (s3google translator) :D
I do not know anything about English :/
Google translator helps me a lot :D

Last edited:
Reactions: CySecy825

Elizabeth23

Level 1
Feb 10, 2016
I have never used opera, and until microsoft stopped supporting xp, I had never used anything other than IE, so now I am using firefox, in the future, if firefox stops supporting xp and opera is acquired by Qiho, then I might give it a try if they supply an English version, since qiho is still supporting xp.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
First of all, I am sorry for this rather long post, but I just felt the need tot share my opinion about this atm.

I used Opera for years now, and it was always a leader in the browser industry for me. There were in the past problems with the Presto engine, but they were the innovators of the web. Without Opera, there were no tabs, no sync, no bookmarks in the way they are now, no mouse gestures and I can go on for a while with this.... So many things have been invented by Opera and other browsers just copied it over the time. Without Opera, the internet would not be the same as it is now.
There was a time there were only 2 browsers, and that was Opera and Internet explorer (and later Netscape), so they were in from day one and even then, they were innovating and they were offering much more features than the competition. That's the reason why I use Opera for so long. Even after the Chromium swith, which I actually was happy with, since it was very annoying that lot's of webpages were broken or didn't show up like they were supposed to be, I used it and I never used something else.
Those were the months that there were no bookmarks, no sync and other "critical" functionalities in it, which they invented and were known from. Of course I missed it and the development was rather slow (I took 10 versions until there were bookmarks again), but I never felt the need of going to another browser vendor, since I trusted Opera, and I was using it for so long that I just didn't want to use something else, even in if it was in that state.
Those were also not the simplest times at Opera (also the times right before the switch). Their founder, Jon, left the company because he was not pleased with decisions that were made at Opera for different things. But slowly and step by step Opera found the right path again to evolve to a good browser again. Also the fact that Jon created a new browser (Vivaldi) with lots of former Opera employies was rather good for Opera, because the new competition pushed them to create new things and speed up the development quite a bit. But again, even if Vivaldi had (and has) the features of Opera 12, and Opera stil not (tab stacking for example), I keep using Opera.
Other than using the browser, I also hunted for bugs and reported them and there is not a single blogposts of them, that I haven't read, so it was more than 'just a browser to surf on the internet' for me.
Now we are in 2016 and we are on version 36 (beta atm), and Opera is back in business. With fully function sync, a nice bookmark manager, and a fast browser, they are among the best browsers imo. I've always loved the Opera browser and they have done things and made decisions that I didn't liked, but I still use it.
I was a happy user until yesterday that I read this news. I've always give them the benefit of the doubt, since I trusted them, but this is one step too far for me. I cannot understand that Opera, a company with such a history, is just sold for the money and on top of that to a Chinese company which with a rather questionable reputation. I am not saying at all that Qihoo is a bad company and that they have bad products, but they were accused for privacy related issues and the fact that it is a Chinese company and Opera is a European company with a very good reputation, is a bridge too far for me. I just can't understand it, that years of great development and innovation are just thrown away now. And of course development will go on, but I am just so dissapointed in the way that the future will be for Opera if the deal will be finished. And I think I'm not alone. If I look around the internet lots of users are also with questions about privacy and the future for Opera now if the deal will be closed, but as I looks now, I think it's close to a final sale to Qihoo.

Opera was always my number 1 browser and I've almost never used something else, but if I say now that I've already installed Vivaldi this afternoon, made it the default browser and that I wrote this post using it, I think that me as a very very dissapointed user said enough.

mal1

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2015
When @kev216 broke the news yesterday Will Opera Software be acquired by Qihoo or AOL? this was still rumors. and both AOL and Qihoo were reportedly interested in the purchase. I would use Opera, the AOL subsidiary (AOL's parent company is Verizon), but Opera, the Qihoo subsidiary? I think I'd rather start looking for an alternative to Opera to be my secondary browser (Chrome is my primary browser)

K Atari

Level 2
Verified
Jan 10, 2015
One of the last companies I wanted to see a web browser be sold to is Qihoo. Qihoo's 360 browser was....well you know.... I will miss Opera. It is not my main browser, but it has always been an alternative I had installed on both my PC and phone. R.I.P. Opera as we know it.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Have no problem with the people of China, just some of the companies (as I do with companies in my own country). Qihoo isn't welcome on my computer, and now, neither is Opera. Too bad too... really like Opera Mail. Just waiting till Vivaldi is ready to go with its mail client/browser combo. One hell of a browser - including its impressive support for Chrome extenstions. A month ago, Xmarks started working on Vivaldi (which was the only one I needed to work). I was like a kid in a candy store. lol I'd imagine a lot of Opera users might flock to Vivaldi.

Some takeovers make sense and are better in the long run. But most these days just hurt - this one included. As long as you have a wad of cash in your pockets, who cares, right Opera?

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
The demise of Opera started when they changed their product to a chrome clone. Old Opera had its own unique identity but now its lost among the numerous Chrome clones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.