Advice Request Opera Popup Message and Can't Find the Root Cause

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

plat

Level 29
Thread author
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Today I use my default Opera (latest v. 72.0.3815.148) and this message appears below the address bar:
opera popup.PNG
I looked around and this issue was reported previously, with some comments just within the past hour. At first I thought it was uBlock Origin so I switched it off but the message persisted if I opened a new tab. I disabled all extensions and enabled just the Opera inbuilt adblocker and the message persisted. Same message with no extensions enabled and Opera closed/reopened. Anyone else experiencing this? It seems some others have this but there's been no fix. I looked in the forum also.

I'm a little spooked about uBlock Origin and Manifest v.3 but the message is there whether any extension is enabled or not and appears to go away, then return if Opera is closed, then reopened. Also, there's a new version of uBO but it's not available in the Opera add-ons store yet. So, what is this? :unsure:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Confirmed also here. Seems to be some general issue and doubt it's version related, other then I didn't see this before 72.0.3815.148. Even re-installed to previous and still the same.
dancing in the lift GIF

Update :

A member on Operas forum suggested to set a preset page when Opera start. That specific link did not work for me, but I seem to been able to suppress the big drop down message by add : opera://extensions/ Restart Opera and press the update button. Restart Opera again. That seems to done the trick, even if the small red dot in the left sidebar is still visible. That is much less annoying and one can even hide the sidebar if needed.

This is merely a workaround and I would guess we will pretty soon see another official update from Opera. 🤞

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Thread author
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
OK, yes. It's annoying, that little message, like a cloud of gnats around one's head. Went back to the Opera forum and it had exploded over the past several hours with posts. But there is a fix there also, which I followed carefully since Opera's path is different on here versus others'.

Hopefully, yeah, Opera does something cuz I have absolutely no clue what I just did here.

opera fix.PNG

Source

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
We’re sorry for that issue. It was caused by one of our internal extensions. A fix has already been released, and the message should no longer appear.
Personal I still have the red dot update notification in the sidebar, but as said before, that is much less annoying.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.