Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
What's new in Opera Web Browser 40.0.2308.54
September 20th, 2016

Today, we launch Opera 40 with our new free, unlimited, no-log browser VPN service. With this launch, Opera becomes the first major browser to release a built-in VPN service. When turned on, the browser VPN creates a secure connection to one of Opera’s five server locations around the world. The VPN lets you choose where to appear on the internet, giving you online privacy and security a boost while making content easier to access.
  • We strongly believe that if more people knew how the internet truly works, they would use a VPN – and we hope that by making our browser VPN free and easy to use, it will become an essential tool for everyone.
  • Until now, VPNs have largely been used by people who have a good understanding of how the internet works. Only every second person we asked in a global survey knew what a VPN was. Still, more than 80% of the people questioned in the USA and Germany were concerned about their online privacy. More than 70% of people who knew what a VPN was but still didn’t use one, when asked why, said it was because they found VPN services difficult to use and were not willing to pay for the subscription.
Using the free VPN in Opera
  • After downloading the browser, enabling VPN is easy. Go to “Settings” (or “Preferences” on Mac), choose “Privacy & Security” and then toggle the free VPN. An icon labeled “VPN” will appear in the browser, from which you can toggle VPN on and off, and choose a location.
  • Users can also let the Opera browser intelligently select the optimal server location based on factors such as network speed, latency, location and server capacity. When in automatic location mode, browsing via the VPN is always at maximum available speed.

Under the hood:
  • Our free browser VPN secures all traffic through Opera (but not other browsers or apps you have installed).
  • Since the initial developer release, Opera has added some new features to the browser VPN. In this version, you can choose whether to turn VPN on for everything the browser shows, or only use it when browsing using private windows. Also, new virtual locations – Singapore and the Netherlands – have been added to bring you even more privacy options.
More features in Opera 40
  • Automatic battery saving:
  • You’ll be able to enjoy the power saving mode automatically whenever your laptop is unplugged. We’ve also added new power saving settings, so you can configure the threshold for when automatic mode should kick in. We’ve added the estimated remaining battery capacity to the user interface so you can keep track of your power.
Chromecast support
  • We love using Chromecast, so we found a way to make it work with Opera. To use Chromecast with Opera, first download and install the Chrome extension from the Opera catalogue. Then you will be able to install the Google Cast extension from the Chrome web store. Once it’s installed, and you have the special device attached to your display and are operating on the same Wi-Fi network, the device should be detected and you can begin streaming.
Video pop-out improvements
  • Further improvements have been added to the video pop-out feature. Even more video sites and players are now supported. We have also tweaked it so the video pop-out button is less intrusive, and is disabled for short videos. Closing the video is now much simpler – just a single click.
  • Newsreader with RSS support:
  • The personal newsreader now has support for RSS. This means you can add any RSS-based feed as well asour selection of sources. Custom RSS can be read in both timeline and stacked view, the same way other news is displayed in the personalized newsreader. The only difference is that the estimated reading time will not be available for those sources.
  • To use the personalized newsreader, click the News icon on the left-hand side of the Speed Dial and then click the “+” button. You can then paste a URL into the search field. Once the URL is recognized as valid source, you can add it.
Updated browser engine:
  • As you probably know, the underlying engine that renders web content in Opera Desktop is called Blink. Opera works very closely with Google and other contributors, committing heavily to improve web standards support in the engine to make it more efficient.
  • Opera 40 runs on Chromium 53.0.2785.101. Some under-the-hood improvements include:
  • Improved to allow unicode
  • Shadow DOM v1 to allow developers to make their own custom HTML elements and ensure styles are encapsulated. (This is part of a wider suite of specifications collectively known as “Web Components”.)
  • Promise-based getUserMedia. The navigator.mediaDevices.getUserMedia() API, which returns a promise, is now supported.
  • Unprefixed CSS filter. The CSS filter property is now supported in its unprefixed form. A demo featuring SpongeBob SquarePants is available. For now, -webkit-filter is still supported as an alias for filter to aid backwards compatibility. The prefixed version may be removed in future.
  • HTTP/0.9, the predecessor to HTTP/1.x, is now deprecated and will be removed in a future release. Its replacement, HTTP/1.0, was standardized 20 years ago, and HTTP 2 is just around the corner, which will mean a faster web.
  • Support for DHE-based TLS ciphers has been removed after being deprecated in Chromium 51 & Opera 38. Servers should upgrade to ECDHE ciphers instead.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
This sounds great if it works effectively and does not slow the browser.
Opera is shaping up nicely from the looks of it.
Cool share Bora, Thanks

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I would like to see some posts from US users too, to gauge the
speeds of the servers from US locations. It is so cool that they did this.

Y

yigido

Actually, lets say there is no extensions from now on.. the only browser that I will use "Opera"
Great built-in features :cool: aren't they?
Stay tuned for 64bit version of Opera in stable v41.
Edit: Best release I have ever used.

Last edited by a moderator:

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Great built-in features :cool: aren't they?
I actually disabled built-in adblock as it doesn't block some adds I've used not to see with uBlock Origin enabled. And uBlock Origin is faster. I've only added LastPass as extension.

Reactions: Rebsat
Y

yigido

I actually disabled built-in adblock as it doesn't block some adds I've used not to see with uBlock Origin enabled. And uBlock Origin is faster. I've only added LastPass as extension.
I also do not use the built-in adblocker, it cannot block my local ads. So I added Adguard, too ;)
But many users are not MT member :D We know 3rd party alternatives but those avarage Joe's can like that adblocker idea ;) IMHO

Rebsat

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
I am always using Opera Beta since it's the best version and it already beated all of my previous browsers I've tested in the past in terms of performance, stability and compatibility. Long Live Opera :cool::)

Stay tuned for 64bit version of Opera in stable v41.
Edit: Best release I have ever used.
@yigido I have Opera Beta 40 (September 14, 2016) release. I also checked the changelog from Opera Blog but I couldn't find any news on 64bit version. Could you please let me know where did you hear about that? Thank you bro ;)

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Opera being under on Blink Engine where ; the performance, compatibility and expenses area already well managed. (KISS principle)

I wonder why people choose Chrome over Opera when fact, the browser Opera itself can perform better due to accurate responsiveness.

Reactions: Rebsat
Y

yigido

Opera 64bit version will be ready in version 42. Previously, it was announced "it will be released in v41"
nitial benchmarks test show that x64 builds might be faster than x32 version. We are preparing to launch x64 builds in final version O42. In O41 development and stabilization cycle besides regular browsing, we are also testing if regular auto update and installation work well. If you are using x64 version, please let us know if your previous build updated properly to recent x64 release.

Opera 41 Beta Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.