OptimusPrime Quest to Become Prime

OptimusPrime

Thread author
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
Hi all,

My current basic setup at the moment, hoping to get input from users as to what I can add (Sandbox, DNS), if I need to. I'd like to do some malware testing on a VM, so if anyone has some input on that it would be much appreciated.

Added: Ghostly, Sandboxie, Window Backup, Ninite

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Do you have a method for backing up your data?

As for browser add-ons, ever heard of or tried an add-on such as Ghostery?

OptimusPrime

Thread author
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
Thanks MrX.

I don't at the moment but was going to ask what is the best local backup technique+software I could use. Would only just take a copy of my system drive as everything else is stored on external drives and it's very important, and would probably have to buy more drives haha.

Just added Ghostery to Chrome, seen that being used around here :)

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
OptimusPrime said:
Thanks MrX.

I don't at the moment but was going to ask what is the best local backup technique+software I could use. Would only just take a copy of my system drive as everything else is stored on external drives and it's very important, and would probably have to buy more drives haha.

Just added Ghostery to Chrome, seen that being used around here :)

There are various types of backup software, some just backup your regular files such as music, pictures and docs and others do a full system backup (which is what I prefer incase the system becomes inoperable).
Forget system restore, useless in most cases.

Windows includes a built in backup utility that lets you create system images, Since you have external hard drives I'd recommend you make a backup. I use the built in tool aswell with my external hard drives and it works great for me. As for 3rd party software I haven't used such in a long time, Perhaps Paragon if you want to go there but there really is no need.

Link related : http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-7/

OptimusPrime

Thread author
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
Thanks :) I'm going to give that a go. Would rather use this instead of a 3rd party app.

Do most people use incognito mode in Chrome with all the addons enabled? Or is it safe enough to just use normal mode with mentioned addons?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
What are you using as your password manager?

OptimusPrime

Thread author
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
I'm using standalone KeePass at the moment as we use it at work. I see a lot of people using Lastpass here integrated into the browser?

Might need to work on some more Real Time protection, seem to be getting quite a few PUP's at the moment and MSE isn't detecting much.

Keep up the good work with the video's on YouTube McLovin :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
We have some useful information regarding Malware Testing in a VM:
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Protecting-Host-Machine-from-Malware-escaping-a-VM

OptimusPrime

Thread author
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
Thanks Earth :)

Last night after getting Chrome semi locked down with some add-ons and updating a few applications with SUMo I managed to get infected with the RelevantKnowledge PUP, could have been when I browsed one site to download a windows theme but I thought something would have mentioned the site had a bad rep or something. MSE didn't detect anything, Chrome did notify that it tried to install into the browser but by that time it was already in full swing.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The default installer for SUMo, comes bundled with Adware and as you've figured out it's RK. Malwarebytes should be able to remove this PUP. I suggest reading up on the software you use before using them.

IMO, Potentially Unwanted Programs are greyware and your AV may or not warn you about it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You might like, although I myself haven't used it, https://ninite.com

Looking at your config, a lot of the software you've mention have their own updaters, so do you need a 3rd party tool to check for updates. Just a thought. :D

OptimusPrime

Thread author
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
That looks like a great little program Earth. Secunia never works on my comp hence why I tried Sumo as recommended in an article somewhere here. I'll give it a go and let you know how it goes.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.