Sep 12, 2013
New Features
  • new.gif
    Orbit Downloader 4.1 can download WebM Video and other
    HTML5 video from youtube.com
  • Tag make you manage your download files easily
  • The top downloader manager of Windows 7
  • Grab Pro - Download RTMP protocol video
  • Download e-mail and forum attachments with great speed!
  • Maximum possible download speed, up to the fastest download manager!
  • Download social music and video include Youtube, Pandora, Myspace easily
  • Support all streaming media protocol include RTMP/ MMS/ RTSP
  • Support all popular browsers include Firefox 3
[CAUTION: Software performs malicious functions such as forced web browser homepage changed and the ability to perform DDoS/Botnet-like functions, software has been removed from reputable file sharing sites such as Softpedia because of this, use with caution, instead you should find an alternative!]

Try it here : hxxp://www orbitdownloader com/

Last edited by a moderator:

trainbus120

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Sep 12, 2013
It seems so. I read this on one of the sites :

Funding and controversy
Although Orbit Downloader is free, it is an advertising-supported product since it may change the web browser's homepage upon installation and also offers to install software that are not critical for its operation.[2] Also it has begun to display built-in ads inside the program main window and when a dialog of a finished download appears.

Furthermore, it has been proved that since version 4.1.1.15 Orbit Downloader includes a botnet-like module which performs DDoS attacks without the user knowledge or permission. Because of this dubious behavior, it is being detected as a virus by some security companies and its uninstallation is recommended.[5]

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Oh.... this peice of software is still around?

Reactions: Malware1

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Brothersoft is the only download site where you can still download Orbit Downloader, it has been removed from all other download sites.
Brothersoft by the way is owned by the same company as Orbit Downloader, go figure why it is still offered there.

Thanks. :D

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I once was a user of Orbit Downloader. Fortunately, I changed to IDM before all the issues arose.

Reactions: Malware1

MidniteRider

Level 1
Verified
Sep 15, 2013
I used Orbit some time ago. Back then, it was a great download manager. But then, I started to experience some weird behaviors (it would eat up at my connection even when there wasn't anything being downloaded). Well, I guess we all know how that ended.
BTW, I don't use DMs anymore (only the one bundled with Firefox).

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
SiteAdvisor scans the sites for potential unwanted software or malware, if the site does not host any files, nothing malicious will be detected. So green flags? Safe site? Safe downloads? Safe software?
Note, I do not know exactly what service or how McAfee uses to scan websites, and remember not all Antivirus can flag a PUP by default.

They do have a file on their site and is flagged by 2 vendors, but not McAfee. You can Google search OpenCandy.
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...b013d3f4ff972a9d58721b35/analysis/1398522844/

trainbus120

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Sep 12, 2013
SiteAdvisor scans the sites for potential unwanted software or malware, if the site does not host any files, nothing malicious will be detected. So green flags? Safe site? Safe downloads? Safe software?
Note, I do not know exactly what service or how McAfee uses to scan websites, and remember not all Antivirus can flag a PUP by default.

They do have a file on their site and is flagged by 2 vendors, but not McAfee. You can Google search OpenCandy.
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...b013d3f4ff972a9d58721b35/analysis/1398522844/
I agree, though while accessing it sometimes alerts as " this site is know to engage in spreading potentially unwanted software. If they have such alert mechanism, probably they have either not tested orbit or do not consider it to be a junkware!!!

Reactions: YogiTek
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.