Advice Request OSArmor and Exe Radar Pro -- temporary alternative?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If anyone is having issues with these NVT products on Windows 10 1809, and is looking for a temporary alternative, you might want to check out ReHIPS 2.4, free version.
ReHIPS
There are no reported issues on Win 10 1809, and the FREE version -- AKA "demo" version -- will do a lot of the things that OSA and ERP do. (The only limitation of the demo version is how many isolated processes you can run in the same session.)
Hey, guys, I am not implying that ReHIPS is a bona fide replacement for your favorite NVT product, because that would be comparing apples to oranges. I am just saying that you can get much of the same protection, that's all...

Tip: If you use the free version, and you want your multi-process browser (Chrome, Firefox, etc) to work normally, you should set the main executables (the ones that are isolated by default) to these settings:

Annotation.png

You can further tweak the browser protection, even on the free version, but that is beyond the scope of this post.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hmm, this thread is kind of quiet. I guess people are concerned about the learning curve with ReHIPS. I admit there is a learning curve, but ReHIPS 2.4 free version has fine-grained anti-exe + strong sandboxing for Office apps, PDF readers, etc. That's a lot for no money.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Personally I'm quite happy with my current setup of KSC free and Comodo Firewall at CS's settings.
So I'm not really looking for something new.
I don't know how to fit it in my current setup.
And I'm afraid that it's too complicated for me.
Do you think it would be beneficial to my setup?
Are there any tutorials how to configure and use ReHIPS?

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Personally I'm quite happy with my current setup of KSC free and Comodo Firewall at CS's settings.
So I'm not really looking for something new.
I don't know how to fit it in my current setup.
And I'm afraid that it's too complicated for me.
Do you think it would be beneficial to my setup?
Are there any tutorials how to configure and use ReHIPS?
You don't need it, if you have Comodo Firewall. I would not recommend a combo of ReHIPS and CFW @CS.
If I was you, I would install the @Andy Ful Hard_Configurator, set SRP to default/allow, and enable most of the "Sponsors". (That is what they call vulnerable processes.) This will improve script protection, which is what OSA basically is.
Tip: Hard_Configurator protects best if you use a Standard user account.

By the way, SRP at default/allow is pretty easy to set up and use. All you need to do is figure out which Sponsors not to block -- for instance, blocking runonce.exe will cause problems with some software.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I tried to install ReHIPS, but once done I got a message like "the service can't be found" and the SW didn't run...
Well, that's a bummer.
I think that happened to me once, too. I don't know why, or what the solution is, but maybe @SHvFl knows, or @Recrypt surely knows, or you could just get on their forum and ask...
ReHIPS forum - Index

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Yes, I'm on Windows 10 Home with admin account. I have Windows Defender only
And the message is exactly service can't be found? If that is the case i have never seen such message so i can only suggest a reinstall. If that doesn't work either you need to contact support.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
message like "the service can't be found"
If you can provide the exact error message, it will help a lot to troubleshoot it. :)

Maybe it said "service link busy"?
That is the most common error message, and I will try and guess why it happened.
You installed ReHIPS in user account A.
You rebooted and logged into user account B.
This will cause a one-time service link error, because Windows by default will start user account A in the background (Windows remembers the account you used last, and starts it automatically). ReHIPS is running in that background account. If you reboot, and sign into user account B, ReHIPS will work normally.
Just a guess...

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
If you can provide the exact error message, it will help a lot to troubleshoot it. :)

Maybe it said "service link busy"?
That is the most common error message, and I will try and guess why it happened.
You installed ReHIPS in user account A.
You rebooted and logged into user account B.
This will cause a one-time service link error, because Windows by default will start user account A in the background (Windows remembers the account you used last, and starts it automatically). ReHIPS is running in that background account. If you reboot, and sign into user account B, ReHIPS will work normally.
Just a guess...
In attachment a screenshot of the error. It was mentioned here ReHIPS
I only have my admin account on my home PC.

ReHIPS.png

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
In attachment a screenshot of the error. It was mentioned here ReHIPS
I only have my admin account on my home PC.

View attachment 199235
I tried to install ReHIPS yesterday and got the same error first, but I figured out the reason in my case...
It's seems to be related to my Firewall (W10FC), ReHIPS service was blocked there, after allowed the service to connect, all gets installed succesfully!

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I tried to install ReHIPS yesterday and got the same error first, but I figured out the reason in my case...
It's seems to be related to my Firewall (W10FC), ReHIPS service was blocked there, after allowed the service to connect, all gets installed succesfully!
Wow. That's the last place I would have looked. Normally, ReHIPS doesn't even connect out, not even for updates or license checks or anything. Must be something connected to installation.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Wow. That's the last place I would have looked. Normally, ReHIPS doesn't even connect out, not even for updates or license checks or anything. Must be something connected to installation.
Yes you have to allow ReHIPS service. Last time I tried ReHIPS, same thing happened to me with simplewall. ReHIPS didn't connect out to any website, maybe it was loopback connection or something else. I have had issues with loopback connections in simplewall with some other apps too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.