Outlook “mail issues” phishing – don’t fall for this scam!

CyberPanther

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Here’s a phish that our own security team received themselves.

Apart from some slightly clumsy wording (but when was the last time you received an email about a technical matter that was plainly written in perfect English?) and a tiny error of grammar, we thought it was surprisingly believable and worth writing up on that account, to remind you how modern phishers are presenting themselves.

Out are the implied threats, the exclamation points (!!!) and the money ($$$) you might lose if you don’t act right now; in are the happy and unexceptionable “here’s a problem that you can fix all by yourself without waiting for IT to help you” messages of a sort that many companies are using these days to reduce support queuing times.

Yes, you ought to be suspicious of emails like this. No, you shouldn’t click through even out of interest. No, should never enter your email password in circumstances like this.

But the low-key style of this particular scam caught our eye, making it the sort of message that even a well-informed user might fall for, especially at the end of a busy day, or at the very start of the day after.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I've found that for example PayPal scam mails are getting better all the time, of course checking the URL shows they are scam quite a few in UK are still getting caught, PayPal are usually pretty good but we have to beware.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
One of the advantages of a password manager, it will not offer you to auto-fill on a fake webpage! That would be a pretty big red flag for me. 🙃

Attachments

• capture_08222020_134320.jpg
    capture_08222020_134320.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 84

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Always keep this option "Off" in any browser.

Good idea. I generally just use Edge Chromium built-in for password management but trying to shift that over to KeepassXC which I use as well. Re-connecting to database with Keepass is a bit tedious as it links with desktop one but just trying to have something reliable with TOTP capability for two-factor authentication. Hmm, time to do some research on good free options though KPXC is fairly good Hmm, food for thought anyway. I should take a leaf out of @oldschool book and disable auto-fill.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I should take a leaf out of @oldschool book and disable auto-fill.
In Edge it's "Sign in automatically" > Off.

BTW, I only keep a couple of passwords, e.g. MT in the browser. "Little Black Book" has the rest.

This site has some good info on creating passwords, which is one way to make remembering them much easier.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.