Outlook 2007 - restoring .ost and .pst files from backup, and how to handle the profile issue

Discussion in 'General Apps' started by JohnHud7, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnHud7

JohnHud7 New Member

Aug 31, 2015
    My OS is win 7 prof 64 bit and I use Outlook 2007. During a virus attack on my pc, my data files got affected and after the clean up, I reinstalled my msn email again, but it looks like some folders or emails were lost. In a Q here at EE, the below was suggested, and in order not to piggy back my original Q, I am posting it as a separate Q.
    How do I do the below suggestion, are there any step by step instructions to do this? Thank u.

If you have a backup prior to problem, you can restore .ost and .pst files from backup and then re-attach them. You may have a profile issue though
  2. cruelsister

cruelsister Level 32

Apr 13, 2013
    John- Outlook 2007 will save your stuff in something called a Personal Storage Table file (.pst). This is normally stored in two places- C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\ and in C:\Users\%username%\Documents\Outlook.

1). go to both of these places and see if you have a pst file (usually in the form of "youremail".pst.
    2). Check the dates and file sizes. Hopefully only one was trashed (the good one will be the higher file size)
    3). If you ever did an Outlook backup, search your computer for archive.pst

If you found anything useful, import the pst file back into Outlook using the Import function:

How to Import Your .pst Files Into Outlook 2007 - TechFleece

Hope this helped.

frogboy likes this.
  3. done

done Level 5

Mar 19, 2015
    outlook is saving it using ost file. you can try to import the ost file
    if you have backup you should find it as mention above