Outlook 2007 - restoring .ost and .pst files from backup, and how to handle the profile issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnHud7

Thread author
Aug 31, 2015
My OS is win 7 prof 64 bit and I use Outlook 2007. During a virus attack on my pc, my data files got affected and after the clean up, I reinstalled my msn email again, but it looks like some folders or emails were lost. In a Q here at EE, the below was suggested, and in order not to piggy back my original Q, I am posting it as a separate Q.
How do I do the below suggestion, are there any step by step instructions to do this? Thank u.

If you have a backup prior to problem, you can restore .ost and .pst files from backup and then re-attach them. You may have a profile issue though

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
John- Outlook 2007 will save your stuff in something called a Personal Storage Table file (.pst). This is normally stored in two places- C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\ and in C:\Users\%username%\Documents\Outlook.

1). go to both of these places and see if you have a pst file (usually in the form of "youremail".pst.
2). Check the dates and file sizes. Hopefully only one was trashed (the good one will be the higher file size)
3). If you ever did an Outlook backup, search your computer for archive.pst

If you found anything useful, import the pst file back into Outlook using the Import function:

How to Import Your .pst Files Into Outlook 2007 - TechFleece

Hope this helped.

M

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.