Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Agnitum announced the official launch of the Outpost 7.5 product line of proactive protection tools.
Packed with new functionality and performance improvements, the latest versions of Outpost Security Suite Pro, Outpost Firewall Pro and Outpost Antivirus Pro speed up overall system performance by minimizing resource loads without impacting protection levels.

Highlights of Outpost 7.5 include:

• 3x times faster web content filtering with the reworked Web Control and Firewall modules
  • 2-5x faster performance thanks to the consolidation of signature databases

All Outpost 7.5 products include Smart Decision, a non-signature malware detection engine, as well as clipboard protection to address the evolving ID theft techniques, extended support for the latest mobile broadband devices to protect laptops and netbooks, and a host of other improvements.

30-day trial versions of the Outpost 7.5 solutions are available for download at http://www.agnitum.com/products/; users are encouraged to share impressions at the Agnitum group on Facebook. Bucking industry trends to shorten evaluation periods to 15 or even 7 days, Outpost Pro can be used free of charge for a full month.

What’s new in Outpost 7.5?

I. Emphasis on performance improvements to enhance user experience:

• Updated anti-virus engine — version 5.3
    With the anti-virus engine updated to version 5.3, the Outpost 7.5 antimalware module delivers even greater detection accuracy, in particular against unknown malware.
  • Faster on-access and on-demand scanning
    Internal tests have shown that on-access scanning is twice as fast and on-demand scanning is up to 2.5 times faster than earlier versions.
  • 3x faster web page filtering
    In the ongoing struggle to balance ease-of-use with optimal performance, Agnitum engineers have reworked the Web Control and Firewall modules and have achieved lesser PC resource load and 3x faster web page filtering compared to the previous versions. Additionally spyware-site filtering engine is now up to 100 times faster.
  • SmartScan 4 Speed-Up
    The fourth iteration of SmartScan technology enables 3-5 times faster subsequent scans of files and folders for malware.

II. Enhanced security detects sophisticated malware:

• New! SmartDecision technology
    One of the most exciting new developments, SmartDecision uses non-signature detection to rate every executable file against a number of criteria to determine its authenticity or potential for damage. This technology employs multi-level risk measurements and enables Outpost to provide visual guidance as to the best way to proceed (allow or block), along with a corresponding color code — red, yellow or green.
  • New! Clipboard and screen content protection
    Clipboard content protection (part of Outpost’s award-winning anti-leak technology) now resists so-called "clipboard-loggers", which can grab personal data from the clipboard during a cut-and-paste operation and "screen-loggers" that can send randomly-grabbed screenshots from a user’s PC to an unauthorized recipient.
  • Improved! Antimalware / eXtended Heuristic Analyzer
    HAX (eXtended Heuristic Analyzer) now includes increased — by a factor of more than ten — numbers of indicators and parameters for suspicious programs, which in turn increases the analyzer’s coverage and detection rates.
  • New! Antimalware / USB protection
    To combat malware spread via USB drives through exploitation of the Windows auto-run vulnerability, Outpost 7.5 now includes specific USB protection that can be configured to provide different levels of security from completely blocking the device to freezing particular unverified executables.
  • New! Firewall protection for the latest mobile broadband devices
    Outpost 7.5 provides enhanced filtering for the traffic generated by mobile broadband devices (such as 3G modems) to further safeguard laptops and other portable devices.

The final release versions of Outpost Security Suite Pro, Outpost Firewall Pro and Outpost Antivirus Pro 7.5 are available now at http://www.agnitum.com/products/.

The newly added SmartDecision technology looks very promising and it will manage to make the Outpost products more user friendly.

SmartDecision at work :

Green alert
[attachment=432]
Yellow alert
[attachment=433]
Red alert
[attachment=434]

The UI looks the same as in build 7.0.
[attachment=435]

Price tag

• Outpost Antivirus PRO - $29.95
  • Outpost Firewall PRO - $39,95
  • Outpost Security Suite PRO -$59.95

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    152.4 KB · Views: 651
  • 2.png
    2.png
    134.4 KB · Views: 606
  • 4.PNG
    4.PNG
    20.1 KB · Views: 620
  • 3.png
    3.png
    134.2 KB · Views: 636

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I like how it looks native to the OS, but in the previous versions I never fully understand the layout/usage of the pop-ups. From the screen-shots, it's looks more simpler to understand, but I don't think I would use Outpost.

Outpost Free is still on version 7.1

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
A +1 for their new feature SmartDecision technology surely this will understand the popup. Corresponding color can understand for its means of popup.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
jamescv7 said:
A +1 for their new feature SmartDecision technology surely this will understand the popup. Corresponding color can understand for its means of popup.
Yes,it's useful but would you spend $59.95 for Outpost Security Suite PRO?
While this new additions are ok , lets not forget that Outpost is using the VirusBuster antivirus engine...which is not really the best.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well on the case of price, its expensive. They made some features great however the engines they used isn't a top notch until now.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I think this isn't new to anyone but not only Virusbuster as their strategic partners.

Link

G

Guest28

I'll never use outpost especially when they don't update the free version to 7.5. Outpost has never been that great. :s

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
ryan said:
I'll never use outpost especially when they don't update the free version to 7.5. Outpost has never been that great. :s
Outpost has it's fans :p .. I have seen a few who love their firewall, I for one I can't find anything special in this product.I've used it and when compared with OA or CIS ..well,it falls behind.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Honestly I don't know that like AVG, Sophos and other were partners with Outpost.

G

Guest28

I wish they would give the software a GUI lift and improve the alert system on it's next release. I'v tested it but i just didn't like how it preformed.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
More improvements arrived with Outpost 7.5.1

Outpost 7.5.1 is the minor release introducing the following improvements:

Enhanced detection and quarantining abilities for archives
Higher compatibility with third-party products

Link

I

illumination

I am using 7.5 right now. It is growing on me.. If I were novice user and just downloaded this software and ran it straight "as is" I would not be that impressed. I have found, if you set all settings on maximum, you cant sneeze without setting of an alert!

Upon install i set the firewall to "auto learn mode", this is supposed to run like this for a week, I left it on for about two hours to train.. I then set the firewall to "block Most".. I have the real time protection cranked up to maximum, which utilizes the heuristics during scanning. I also set the web control to maximum, which at first, would drive most crazy with the amount of pop ups, but have found once trained, does a thorough job of blocking un safe content. I cranked up the IDS to maximum and set block intruder for 10 minutes and also block intruder subnet.. With these settings, I felt a slight performance hit while I was training it, once trained, my system was back to normal.. This is my 6th day with it on, and have been all over the net with it, done my scans with hitman and malwarebytes,ect... have not found one thing on my system. So over all, I personally think this is a decent product in the right hands.. As i said earlier in this comment, if you were a novice, and just left it stock, it would be at best, a mediocre suite, but like most other suites, if you tweak it's settings, you will find it offers pretty good protection.

darkelixa

Jul 3, 2011
Says the campagin to get the free suite has expired yet I just got my key? Ah so its for 7.5 not 7.5.1

I

illumination

darkelixa said:
Says the campagin to get the free suite has expired yet I just got my key? Ah so its for 7.5 not 7.5.1

Yes it is odd, i just went and confirmed, not only can you still grab a key, but the download links are still active! And yes it is for 7.5 and not 7.5.1

darkelixa

Jul 3, 2011
thewolfsmith72 said:
darkelixa said:

Yes it is odd, i just went and confirmed, not only can you still grab a key, but the download links are still active! And yes it is for 7.5 and 7.5.1

A free license should include free software upgrades..thats so missleading

Installed it to see if it would activate and now it wont uninstall!

I

illumination

darkelixa said:
thewolfsmith72 said:
darkelixa said:

Yes it is odd, i just went and confirmed, not only can you still grab a key, but the download links are still active! And yes it is for 7.5 and 7.5.1

A free license should include free software upgrades..thats so missleading

Installed it to see if it would activate and now it wont uninstall!

I agree, they should allow for the latest upgrade! To uninstall, you have to go through the add/remove programs to do so, it uninstalls fairly clean, have already tested this..

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
thewolfsmith72 said:
I agree, they should allow for the latest upgrade! To uninstall, you have to go through the add/remove programs to do so, it uninstalls fairly clean, have already tested this..

Uninstalling from Add/Remove could sometimes cause a lot of damage. You've been one of the lucky ones to get it to uninstall this way :). It works on some of my PCs and results in BSODs on restart on others [and the only solution is restoring an image :( ]. After playing with 7.1 / 7.1.1 I actually made a mental note that they've managed to fix this issue, only to get it again 2 days ago, trying to upgrade 7.1.1 FREE to 7.5 PRO.

Agnitum have a KB article where they recommend booting in Safe Mode and running the clean.exe. This has actually always worked really well for me.

Another thing to consider if you have issues with the installation [I had an instance over the weekend with very slow pop-ups and high CPU usage] is to boot in Safe Mode and run the installer again, it really works and will reinstall properly. The only issue is that regardless of what components you select during installation, the whole suite will be installed.They've done a very good job of deactivating their own components to provide better compatibility [hats off for that], so depending on what else is running on your machine you may end up with a few turned off modules, but you'll still be alerted about their status, e.g. definitions are out-of-date, etc.

It runs fast and light. I can not comment on their claims about the improved performance for on-access/on-demand scanning or the web control, because I don't use these [Firewall and Proactive Protection is all I want out of OSS], but it seems faster and more responsive than 7.1.x - maybe it's just my subjective perception.

I like the more informative and detailed pop-ups, the clipboard and screen content protection, and you can finally purge the non-existing entries in Application Rules...

D

Deleted member 178

Damn !!! A software like this one who need to be uninstalled in safe mode has no place in my system when you can have better and simpler similar products. thanks :D

I

illumination

NathanF1 said:
thewolfsmith72 said:

Uninstalling from Add/Remove could sometimes cause a lot of damage. You've been one of the lucky ones to get it to uninstall this way :). It works on some of my PCs and results in BSODs on restart on others [and the only solution is restoring an image :( ]. After playing with 7.1 / 7.1.1 I actually made a mental note that they've managed to fix this issue, only to get it again 2 days ago, trying to upgrade 7.1.1 FREE to 7.5 PRO.

Agnitum have a KB article where they recommend booting in Safe Mode and running the clean.exe. This has actually always worked really well for me.

Another thing to consider if you have issues with the installation [I had an instance over the weekend with very slow pop-ups and high CPU usage] is to boot in Safe Mode and run the installer again, it really works and will reinstall properly. The only issue is that regardless of what components you select during installation, the whole suite will be installed.They've done a very good job of deactivating their own components to provide better compatibility [hats off for that], so depending on what else is running on your machine you may end up with a few turned off modules, but you'll still be alerted about their status, e.g. definitions are out-of-date, etc.

It runs fast and light. I can not comment on their claims about the improved performance for on-access/on-demand scanning or the web control, because I don't use these [Firewall and Proactive Protection is all I want out of OSS], but it seems faster and more responsive than 7.1.x - maybe it's just my subjective perception.

I like the more informative and detailed pop-ups, the clipboard and screen content protection, and you can finally purge the non-existing entries in Application Rules...

Thank you for your insight into this.. I have uninstalled it twice on my main machine without a problem, found two empty folders and one registry key afterwards.. I will put this on my old 32 bit system to see if i get the same results..

This is my first trial of this suit, so do not know how older versions responded, but can say i am pleased with the performance on my machine..

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
thewolfsmith72 said:
This is my first trial of this suit, so do not know how older versions responded, but can say i am pleased with the performance on my machine..

Yes, no complaints about the performance, I'm even considering running it [the Firewall & HIPS components] alongside Avast on a single-core netbook [Windows 7 Starter].

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.