Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeN

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
May 10, 2011
Outpost Firewall Pro
Outpost Firewall Pro is an advanced and essential solution to maintain online safety. Its advanced protection components make sure you're reliably defended on the Internet against the major risks, while performance optimizations keep your system running at full speed without significant performance hit.
Due to predefined applications security policies and the system for optional collaborative access rules creation called ImproveNet, the program is really easy to use and suitable for inexperienced home users. The integrated anti-spyware module defends against the broad range of malicious programs, including Trojans and worms. Subsequent file scans complete much faster because the technology at the heart of it, called SmarScan 3, will examine only the items altered since the last scan.
The award-winning firewall guards users' network access, keeping them safe from inappropriate or malicious connections, loss of private data, unwanted program activity, automated probes. Furthermore, this firewall includes the Attack Detection engine that will protect networks against internal breaches as well as eavesdropping.
The Host Protection module takes a new approach to combating malware: it pre-empts the infection by examining system activity and controlling which operations are permitted. This type of defense-in-advance approach helps halt unknown malware before it can activate its destructive payload. Special tamper-proof technologies that safeguard the integrity of Outpost components ensure protection cannot be deactivated by targeted attacks.
USB block will restrict access to remote storage devices to keep the PC safe from viruses and data leak. The versatile Web Control module safeguards you against the Internet's darker side by steering away from blacklisted sites, limiting your exposure to potentially unsafe web properties and blocking display of Internet clutter such as ads and pop-ups.
Online Armor Premium
Best Personal Firewall - Online Armor Premium Firewall protects your money, identity and your data weather you're browsing, transacting or receiving email; Online Armor can protect you.
This award winning software is easy to use right of the box. Online Armor Premium comes with "Banking Mode" that secures your internet banking session therefore protecting you from keyloggers and Phishing techniques that might want to either record your login details or redirect you to a fake website.
Online Armor also comes with a powerful "HIPS" functions, which is designed to stop all unrecognised programs from running on your computer, makes it possible to protect yourself against new threats and attacks. In standard mode, most decisions are made completely automatically based on Online Armor's whitelist - users never need answer a complex firewall prompt again.
Online Armor protects your passwords and private information from being stolen by blocking keyloggers as they try to activate. Online Armors behaviour detection ensures that even specially created or new keyloggers are detected and prevented.
The Premium version of Online Armor has also many more protection features like Run Safer, Webshield, Mail shield and Phishing Filter and many more. Other Features: Kernal Mode Security Execution Protection Termination Protection Script/Worm Protection Process Guard Tamper Protection Online Armor is basically for all internet users who want to protect your money, identity and your data.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I've tried Outpost Firewall Pro in the past(1 year ago)..and it was using a good amount of CPU.....maybe they fixed that with their latest updates...

OA and Outpost both generate a good amount of pop ups which I find unacceptable if we take into account the fact that this are paid products.IF I had to choose one I would good with Online Armor since it has a feature(which is disabled by default) that can dramatically increase the level of security on your PC.

"Run safer unknow programs by default" ...Go here and read all about "Run Safer"

[attachment=298]

Nevertheless COMODO Firewall is free and can be a better solution for those who are looking for a solid standalone third-party firewall.

Attachments

• 123.png
    123.png
    107 KB · Views: 721

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Outpost Firewall Pro 7.1 (Simple mode)

I've installed Outpost Firewall Pro on my system..just to see how it is....
When installing I've selected the "Simple mode" , because I remember that last time I've tested Outpost I used the "Expert mode" and basically start asking me on every major action ... :p
[attachment=249]

So after the reboot I've seen this pop-up:
[attachment=250]
And then I've started opening my programs to see if it will generate pop-ups in "Simple Mode"... I've tried to open Steam > CS and Left4Dead2,FileZilla,SandboxIE,CCleaner,my web cam and Yahoo messenger (which OA blocked when was searching for the latest updates.) ...and that's it,because on my testing pc I don't have that many programs :)

[attachment=251]
[attachment=252]
[attachment=253]
[attachment=263]
[attachment=254]
[attachment=255]

The alerts while very informative , just like in OA , are very hard to understand for a newbie and don't give a clear rating and help ...so when taking a decision on a pop-up you'll always have to spent some time investigating that alert.

I've tried also to install a software to see if it will generate any alerts..So I've downloaded Defraggler and I've managed to install it with no alerts from Outpost.The fact that it didn't generate any alerts is most likely due to the "Simple mode" option...

Next I've run the Comodo Leak Test ... 270/340 .You can find the report in the attachment bellow.

Next I wanna see how it will impact on the resources...and after 10 minutes of "Idle" , I've tooked this screenshot :

[attachment=261]
Overall ..it's 4/5 on resource usage..I don't feel any major slow down.. :)

Here are some extra screenshots for the product :

[attachment=257]
[attachment=256]
[attachment=258]
[attachment=260]
[attachment=259]
[attachment=256]
IF you want to see a specific setting just ask..and I'll provide the screenshot.

Product details

Price : Lifetime License (Single License — 1 PC) $49.95

Attachments

• 0.png
    0.png
    89.7 KB · Views: 638
  • 1.png
    1.png
    1,000.9 KB · Views: 758
  • 2.png
    2.png
    243 KB · Views: 695
  • 3.png
    3.png
    490.9 KB · Views: 686
  • 4.png
    4.png
    697.8 KB · Views: 749
  • 6.png
    6.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 562
  • 7.png
    7.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 571
  • 12.png
    12.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 671
  • 11.png
    11.png
    126 KB · Views: 671
  • 14.png
    14.png
    130.2 KB · Views: 684
  • 15.png
    15.png
    111.3 KB · Views: 644
  • 18.png
    18.png
    113.2 KB · Views: 649
  • ram.png
    ram.png
    213.6 KB · Views: 760
  • 16.png
    16.png
    108.6 KB · Views: 678
  • clt log (01-11-20 PM 05.19.2011).html
    5 KB · Views: 620

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I would have to say that I would go for Online Armor Premium. When i had used it in the past it provided me with a good firewall.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Today I have uninstalled Outpost Firewall Pro......please note that on the long run I did feel like Outpost was lagging a little my system....

Online Armor Premium 5.0.0.1100

Now I have installed OA Premium and because I didn't try OA for so long I was surprised to see a new UI...anyway makes sense since Emsisfot bought this company

[attachment=290]

I've opened again : Steam > CS and Left4Dead2,SandboxIE,CCleaner,my web cam and Yahoo messenger and I only manage to see 1 alert from OA Firewall in which was aking me if I want to allow Steam to connect to the internet.

[attachment=291]

Then I've tried to install Defraggler..and again no alerts what so ever...

OA manage to get a perfect score on Comodo Leak Test : 340/340 (see attachment bellow)

Next,after 10minutes of "Idle" I've tooked this screeshot just to see how much Ram is using..Overall again I didn't feel any slowdowns..but I'll keep testing it and report if I see any major slowdown.

[attachment=292]

Here are some extra screenshots for the product:

[attachment=296]
[attachment=295]
[attachment=294]
[attachment=293]

Price : Single PC - $40/year

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    130.8 KB · Views: 637
  • 4.png
    4.png
    128.8 KB · Views: 720
  • 5.png
    5.png
    120.6 KB · Views: 653
  • 6.png
    6.png
    104.2 KB · Views: 611
  • 8.png
    8.png
    110.2 KB · Views: 689
  • clt log (09-49-03 PM 05.20.2011).html
    5 KB · Views: 694
  • 1.png
    1.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 695
  • save1.png
    save1.png
    239.8 KB · Views: 725

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Excellent comparison Jack.

I have used both in the past and from my experience from long-time usage of both, I voted Outpost.

Simply because Outpost doesn't have near as many bugs as Online Armor does.
All firewalls with HIPS features will have bugs from time to time. Some bugs will be small and you won't be able to notice them if you are not looking for them.
But other bugs can cause major problems with your system.

To myself the most important factor you should consider before choosing a security software is compatibility and stability. All the protection features and leak tests, anti-virus tests, etc. don't make much difference to me if the product is not stable.

Outpost and Malware Defender are more stable than most firewalls with HIPS features. Malware Defender is very complicated and not for novice but has very little bugs.

Thanks.:D

GabiCRX

Level 8
Verified
Jun 24, 2011
Great comparison
I vote for Outpost Firewall Pro, I used it with NOD32, only one thing passed, Backdoor.Poison Ivy
If you know how to configure it, you can do 340 at Comodo Leak Test.
Online Armor and Outpost Firewall Pro have two problems, they eat al lot of resourses and their alerts are hard to understand for a beginner !

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
Close call this. It's really hard to have a clear winner with these ultra-capable competitors.

Both offer outstanding HIPS and excellent Firewalls. Speed and system impact-wise they are pretty close. Usability is also very good, but their inherently "suspicious" nature can test your patience and resolve sometimes.

OA allows blocking traffic during system boot and loads very early during startup, unlike OF which does seem a bit too slow to load. On the other hand, OF does have the Attack Detection functionality. Both can protect against keyloggers, with latest OF expanding the protection against screen and clipboard loggers as well. Both have File and Registry Guards.

One problem I'm having with OF would be the slight unpredictability of its HIPS performance. Just an hour ago I updated from 7.5 to 7.5.1 [all existing settings imported] and now I'm intermittently getting different tests failing when running CLT, which 7.5 was passing 100%.

So it's a question of reliability, confidence in the performance and compatibility that will decide which one is right for you [there are no losers here, both are extremely capable] - I'm running both purely because of compatibility issues on different systems I'm using.

Voted for Online Armor.

P.S. I've posted a bit more detailed reply on OA and OF in Security Discussions » Security Products » Emsisoft » Online Armor 5.1 Public Beta, apologies for posting there, instead of this thread.

I

illumination

Although I have still not taken Online Armor for a test run yet, I have used Outpost Firewall a couple times, when configured in "Expert Mode"with a few other tweaks, it is quite capable of providing protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.