Security News Over 850,000 Devices Affected by Unpatched Cisco Zero-Day

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
A scan of Cisco networking devices from around the world has revealed that hundreds of thousands of devices are vulnerable to an unpatched security issue that allows attackers to retrieve data from the equipment's memory.

Cisco has recently acknowledged that a cyber-offensive toolkit leaked online by a group of unknown hackers is also affecting its current device models after initial analysis said that only older (discontinued) PIX firewalls were affected.

The tool, named BENINGCERTAIN, leaked in August when a group calling themselves The Shadow Brokers put it online along with tens of other hacking utilities they claim to have stolen from the server of a cyber-espionage entity named the Equation Group, which some security vendors said to be the NSA.

BENINGCERTAIN could extract VPN keys from Cisco devices
Initial analysis by Mustafa Al-Bassam, aka tFlow, co-founder of the LulzSec hacking crew, showed how someone could use BENINGCERTAIN to extract VPN keys from Cisco PIX firewalls.

Last week, a month after BENINGCERTAIN was leaked, Cisco announced that the tool was also effective against current devices running IOS, IOS XE, and IOS XR software.

At the time of writing, there still is no patch available against BENINGCERTAIN (or Pix Pocket) exploitation.
Researchers used IKE packets to discover vulnerable devices
At the technical level, the exploit (CVE-2016-6415) employs a vulnerability in how the firmware of certain Cisco firewalls deals with IKEv1 and IKEv2 (Internet Key Exchange) packets.

The Shadowserver Foundation, with the help of Cisco engineers, has conducted a scan of the entire Internet for Cisco devices vulnerable to this exploit.

"We are querying all computers with routable IPv4 addresses that are not firewalled from the internet with a specifically crafted 64 byte ISAKMP packet and capturing the response," the company explained.

Over 850,000 devices currently exposed online
The scan is carried out at regular intervals, and according to the Shadowserver Foundation, on September 25, 2016, at 00:12 GMT, there were 850,803 vulnerable Cisco devices online.

Over 250,000 of these devices are found in the US, followed by the Russian Federation, the UK, Canada, and Germany.

The large number of devices, along with publicly available exploit code makes them easy-pickings for any threat actor that wants to compromise enterprise networks.

Cisco has previously advised network admins to protect affected equipment by placing them behind firewalls.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I wonder if Edward Snowden participated in this kind of hacking, if he did then he is just as much to blame, but he never tells us what he did whilst with the NSA.

Reactions: frogboy and DardiM

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I wonder if Edward Snowden participated in this kind of hacking, if he did then he is just as much to blame, but he never tells us what he did whilst with the NSA.
I beg to differ, he does say what his job was as a private contractor for the NSA.
He was a programmer, and before that contracted for Dell
He was born in Elizabeth City NC, not too far from Charlotte NC where I lived and went to high school.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
So, if he was a programmer, what kind of programs did he work on, it would be hacking etc., as that's what the NSA does. If I joined the CIA I would know that my job would involve hacking, following and monitoring the world, if you don't want to do it, why go and work for the NSA. He knew what he was getting in to, one would imagine he was told prior to starting, security clearance, job description.

bobby holla

Level 2
Verified
Oct 30, 2014
How can someone protect he's or herself from such exploits attacks. is anyone able to advice me on best security software to use?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.