Status
Not open for further replies.

Amiga500

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Hi,
I tried out palemoon browser the other day and i quite liked the experience.Its quick and very light on the system.It worked with most sites very well and overall it seems a good browser.
I used the extract and run method of using palemoon and may install it .
I have a few concerns however trivial they may seem and apologies to moonchild.
On the palemoon forum it seems very active with long term goals etc which is very good to see,Can it be safely asserted that maintenance will be kept up for a substantial amount of time as im sure maintaining a browser is a big job to take on and moonchild does seem to keep up with the aid of others.

My impression of palemoon was very good and i like the browser very much,in fact i like it a bit more than chrome and firefox.
Are any other palemoon users able to give some input on issues and any other opinions.
Thanks.:)

Rohugh

Level 2
Verified
Jul 11, 2014
I have used Pale Moon for a number of years as my default browser, it is fast, reliable and, imo, how Firefox should have evolved. A spin off that is better than the original.

The forums are active and helpful with Moonchild always around to help with problems, if any bugs are found in the browser they are quickly resolved but that doesn't happen often as the updates and upgrades are always well tested before release.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
I've been using Pale Moon for a long time and it won't stop being great. In the past people was calling it a dead project and that it was destined to die soon, yet today is even more popular and has become very handy as my main browser. There are even complete themes at Pale Moon - Add-ons - Complete Themes who could think of this in the past? I mean, who will ever think there would be complete themes for Pale Moon such a underrated browser, but in present Pale Moon is one of the best native x64 Browsers outhere. It's very stable compared to FF, my own experience with both has proved to me that Pale Moon just runs better than FF on my x64 machine, nothing I can do about it more than just use Pale Moon over FF. You gotta play with it a bit, it has it's downsides like the sync system which tend to get down more often since they use an old version of sync server due to security and privacy issues, FF uses the latest one. However, there are some methods to save your data if you can't live without sync serv up 24/7/365.

Last edited:

Amiga500

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
I do however have some concerns in regard to the direction that palemoon is going.From what i understand palemoon may eventually go totally on its own without reliance upon mozilla.
How will this affect website compatibility,majority of websites will not recognise palemoon as a separate entity.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
I do however have some concerns in regard to the direction that palemoon is going.From what i understand palemoon may eventually go totally on its own without reliance upon mozilla.
How will this affect website compatibility,majority of websites will not recognise palemoon as a separate entity.

Only time can answer that, but Pale Moon devs already said they will try to keep compatibility as much as they can. In the meanwhile you can still use Pale Moon heheh ;)

Amiga500

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Seems to be av warnings in regard to palemoon.
Clam av detects palemoon as a http exploit...!!:(

Should i be seriously concerned..?;)

Rohugh

Level 2
Verified
Jul 11, 2014
Seems to be av warnings in regard to palemoon.
Clam av detects palemoon as a http exploit...!!:(

Should i be seriously concerned..?;)

I don't know where they have come from, I don't get any problems with Bitdefender - I can even download and run the betas without problems.

What is Clam AV? Never heard of it.

Reactions: darko999

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Ok.
so why do other web browsers not issue such a warning.Why palemoon in particular.?

Maybe you got it from non official source, if not the case; it's a FP on linux version, Windows version is clean as it has always been.

One of the reports you shared says:

"The file is infected by a polymorphic file infector virus." which would make sense in your particular case, cheers.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Ok.
so why do other web browsers not issue such a warning.Why palemoon in particular.?
You should always download software from known sites.
Softpedia and Downloadcrew are 2 sites i use to download software.
Both sites in their reviews about a software are telling you
if there is something inside the installer that you don't need such as a toolbar;)

Amiga500

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
I downloaded the tarball directly from the palemoon site itself.Research shows this has been a problem in the past for palemoon.New users will be put off this browser unless some explanation is given.I tried the forum and was laughed off stage.

Not so sure this browser is legit anymore.:eek:

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
If you downloaded the installer from the official website, then it's most probably clean.
Also, from Pale Moon - Frequently Asked Questions
My antivirus software complains that Pale Moon is a trojan, keylogger, PUP, PUA, ...
Some Antivirus software is a little too paranoid in their scanning for potentially dangerous programs. It seems scanning with what is called "heuristics" is still something extremely difficult for antivirus suites to implement properly, and as a result, some AV scanners are rather paranoid whenever a complex piece of optimized software is encountered, especially if it interacts with multiple other programs and the Internet (like the plugin container does). Pale Moon has been scanned by several leading and independent software distributors and found to be 100% clean and safe.

If your anti-malware package keeps complaining and your system is otherwise clean, please report it to your security software vendor as a false positive. Reporting it to the browser author serves no purpose as it's the malware detector's scanning engine that needs fixing.

A critical note: the popular AVG and Norton scanners seems to be particularly paranoid about Pale Moon and have, in numerous cases, "fixed" what wasn't broken, i.e. deleted parts of the browser resulting in a broken or destroyed browser. It's therefore recommended to never let an AV suite "automatically clean" your system. There are plenty of free-for-home-use antivirus packages available to verify the detection and get a "second opinion" if you don't trust what you downloaded.

Amiga500

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Im sorry but that comment on the forum does not cut the mustard.
Firefox does not trigger alerts like that.in fact other browsers in general dont so i see no reason why palemoon should be doing it.
If moonchild wishes his browser to be embraced by more people then antivirus software giving alerts is not the way to do it.

I was going to install and use it however im not so sure now and others will feel the same.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Im sorry but that comment on the forum does not cut the mustard.
Firefox does not trigger alerts like that.in fact other browsers in general dont so i see no reason why palemoon should be doing it.
If moonchild wishes his browser to be embraced by more people then antivirus software giving alerts is not the way to do it.

I was going to install and use it however im not so sure now and others will feel the same.
I'm running EIS 10 with BB enabled. Granting that EIS's BB is very good, the BB doesn't alert me of anything against palemoon.exe. :)
It's probably good to report it to Clam AV. Then, they will most probably tell you of their analysis whether the file is malicious or not. :)

Amiga500

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
I downloaded the tarball from the palemoon site so in theory it should be clean unless palemoon itself is hosting malicious downloads although it seems unlikely.

My concerns have still not been satisfied to a degree where palemoon will be installed.God knows what it is doing which we are unaware of..

Im on the fence of doubt waiting for a resolution.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.