Not open for further replies.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Is the Vpn from Panda or is it a rebranded one from a Vpn provider?:)

Updated:Just found it was from Hotspot shield;)Sorry guys.

Reactions: HunterKhajiit

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
VirusTotal :

TlDkUmVN_o.png

lordman

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 18, 2013

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
That's a pity. I recently joined their Protection Advanced to test it out.

Application control works similar to Avast Hardened mode - blocking anything new/unrecognized. Which is big win. However, 3EUR/month for unlimited would be bargain and I secretly hope it will continue.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
That's a pity. I recently joined their Protection Advanced to test it out.

Application control works similar to Avast Hardened mode - blocking anything new/unrecognized. Which is big win. However, 3EUR/month for unlimited would be bargain and I secretly hope it will continue.

But is their whitelist any good? Coz avast!'s one is spectacularly good.

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
But is their whitelist any good? Coz avast!'s one is spectacularly good.
So far so good. I have only tested it for few hours, will continue to do so :)

It displayed warning about beta software I used (which is indeed pretty new, that was expected) and Chromium Woolyss. Other than that - no warnings what so ever. I believe their whitelist to be quite huge since their Collective Intelligence has been in place for a decade now?

Personally I see it quite good contender for "default deny" like solution for average computer users. No nag screens etc since it's paid version. The thing I am worried about the most is upgrade - they tend to lag behind when it comes to incremental program updates (e.g 18.03.00 to 18.04.00).

Panda Free is another story - that I am not too sure I would use (but have installed in couple of computers - so far so good).

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
So... yeah, I've ditched Panda.

I don't know why, but it felt heavier than F-Secure Protection (beta). Also it hick-up my machine while booting VMware... That was first sign of no-go.

Still, I believe the Application Control is really effective and offers great protection. For advanced users, that is.
What I did not like?
- A bit more heavy than F-Secure (which is very light in my opinion, literally light)
- URL scanner is not correctly implemented (requires you to install toolbar??? Which can be uninstalled, but come on...)
- Heavy on VMware.
- So-so UI. All these animations turn me away: it is slow.
- Behaviour blocker is so-so.
- Requires internet for full functionality (limited databases)
- Not sure about future updating - does it happen fast? I wouldn't set my hopes high. For example Avast updates program in much faster pace.

What I liked?
+ Quite easy to install
+ Kinda set and forget solution.

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
Thanks for the update @Lord Ami. Appreciated. (y)

No problem :)
I just wanted to share my experience. By no means it's bad AV. It's just not my taste. It has ransomware protection, Application Control (kinda default deny for unknown files). But of course I used paid product, Panda Protection Advanced. Free has none of the mentioned things.

Still it amazes me how it performs on AV-Test and AV-Comparatives.

By no means did I fully evaluate the product. It was just my opinion after less than month of running it.

Reactions: upnorth

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
no chancelog yet....i hate this
here is the changelog:
  • Creators Fall compatible ( security center)
  • Quarantine file restoration changes.
  • New: VPN

I installed 18.05 on top of 18.04 because there was no autoupdate. It rebooted my laptop and started its installation. It caused a memory leak and used 100% of my RAM -> crashed -> BSOD & forced reboot -> after 3 reboots, I managed to install v18.05 but all my settings in v18.04 was erased
:mad:(n)

Last edited:

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
here is the changelog:

I installed 18.05 on top of 18.04 because there was no autoupdate. It rebooted my laptop and started its installation. It caused a memory leak and used 100% of my RAM -> crashed -> BSOD & forced reboot -> after 3 reboots, I managed to install v18.05 but all my settings in v18.04 was erased
Does Panda still have the same problem as always? When there is a new update of the program, you have to go to the site to download and do a new installation, since the update by the program is impossible.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Does Panda still have the same problem as always? When there is a new update of the program, you have to go to the site to download and do a new installation, since the update by the program is impossible.
yes, you are right
I clicked update but nothing happened. I must have downloaded the installer and installed it manually
it requires uninstallation of the previous version first -> a reboot and install the newer version while explorer.exe hasn't loaded yet
unhappy

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
all Panda needed is a new VPN indeed..

here is the changelog:

ouch

Reactions: brambedkar59

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Apologies if it's already been mentioned but sharewareonsale are currently offering Panda Dome Essential free for six months. I'd put a link up but I don't think SOS links are allowed here. Been trying it out (no in depth testing) and initial impressions are pretty good. Here's a review:
Panda Dome 2018

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
they emailed and asked me to review their product on Trustpilot. I did
Rating: 2/5

Pros:
- very light (without the adware panda safe web)
- set-and-forget

Cons:
- installed adware: Panda safe web, which redirected search engine
- no autoupdate, must download and install the new version manually
- updated without uninstalling the previous version -> caused memory leak & BSOD
- all the settings after updating was wiped out
- no active internet traffic filtering. Only has a browser-based extension
- signatures are below average and behavior blocker is also average
- quite sluggish UI
- Forum support is quite unhelpful

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.