Not open for further replies.

amico81

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
I wonder how they make money with this bad properties.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Panda have finally updated their outdated antivirus products which had not been updated for some time and have renamed them too. The new names are as follows:
  • Panda Dome Advanced (formerly Panda Internet Security)
  • Panda Dome Complete (formerly Panda Global Protection)
  • Panda Dome Premium (formerly Panda Gold Protection)
  • Panda Dome Essential (formerly Panda Antivirus Pro)
Previously, you had to use the free version of Panda, or purchase a monthly subscription, to get a current product.

The changelog is as follows:
New features:
  • VPN conection
New Interface:
  • redesigned and customizable
There does not seem to be any information from Panda about this at the moment, but the new releases are all listed at Softpedia.

I just installed Panda Dome Advanced and was able to activate it with my Panda Internet Security key. I had not installed Panda Internet Security itself, because it had not been updated in a long time.

Also, Panda released a minor update to their old products a few days ago to make them compatible with the upcoming Fall Creators Update (Redstone 4) for Windows 10. This seems pointless, now that they've released the new Dome versions.
Version 17.00.02 has been released to make the product compatible with the new requirements for Windows 10 RS4.

It also includes the correction of certain incidents that were reported to us.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

How is Dome working out? The interface is gorgeous from what I can see.

Panda offered me a $20 a year unlimited devices deal and I may take them up on it. Not for me necessarily but for friends/family who pester me about AV's. Possibly even for Android Devices, since Panda has a really functional non-bloated Android App with GREAT anti-theft and applocker.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Protip: If you have an existing 'cheap' Panda Protection Advanced account ($2.99 a month unlimited devices), you are grandfathered in to Dome at that price as long as you maintain the account.

I love grandfathered stuff.. I'm grandfathered in 'forever' with Untangle's $50 a year Home Ultimate package, which is basically the expensive enterprise kit.

You can install Dome straight away from here; (and use your cheap Panda Advanced Account - grandfathered)
http://acs.pandasoftware.com/Panda/PPC/190480/PPC.exe

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Lab guys tell me with Data Shield Enabled (and set to deny), along with Application Shield Enabled (and set to deny), the force is strong with this one. It acts as both an SRP and Anti-Exe in that mode I am being told.

Has anyone tested this in the hub with both of those features enabled?

Reactions: amico81 and ZeroDay

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Lab guys tell me with Data Shield Enabled (and set to deny), along with Application Shield Enabled (and set to deny), the force is strong with this one. It acts as both an SRP and Anti-Exe in that mode I am being told.

Has anyone tested this in the hub with both of those features enabled?
last time i tested it, it was mediocre at best, but if you try it now and say its decent, i might spin it up and see what's up.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

last time i tested it, it was mediocre at best, but if you try it now and say its decent, i might spin it up and see what's up.

Did you test it with both data shield and application control set to deny? They're just running it through some basic tests as part of the yearly product testing. I usually don't hear much about AVG or Panda, but this year I've heard a few whispers. :D

Also, they've gone beast-mode the firewall, it's got full IPS/IDS, along with DNS protection, DHCP pool spoil prevention, ARP poisoning mitigation, Quantum detection via TCP packet modification and some other tricks.. Not a bad firewall taking place there...

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Did you test it with both data shield and application control set to deny? They're just running it through some basic tests as part of the yearly product testing. I usually don't hear much about AVG or Panda, but this year I've heard a few whispers. :D

Also, they've gone beast-mode the firewall, it's got full IPS/IDS, along with DNS protection, DHCP pool spoil prevention, ARP poisoning mitigation, Quantum detection via TCP packet modification and some other tricks.. Not a bad firewall taking place there...
Interesting to hear they polished their firewall. In the past, it was so-so and not really configurable. From what I know from previous versions, the data shield was just a protection where you can set protected folders and if an unknown program (ransomware for example) will try to modify files, Panda will alert you. Application control is great for advanced users. It's just an anti-exe. If files are not in their collective intelligence cloud, it will alert you when something unknown is running. You can also set it so auto-block (like I did in this test a did a while ago: https://malwaretips.com/threads/29-11-2016-6.65961/#post-570660) Anyone know if they have changed the data shield and the application control since then?

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017

yes, it made no difference, ransomware got through even when a folder was protected
i remember it was asking for actions on potential malware, and it let the executable keep executing ##### while the prompt was open.

"this is a ransomware, want to stop it? ransomware keeps encrypting stuff meanwhile you decide"

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
there is no way to try the product for free unless you want to buy a month with paypal/credit card
thank you Panda, no thanks, another McAfee.
they surely have something to hide
m3Tz4N.png

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

there is no way to try the product for free unless you want to buy a month with paypal/credit card
thank you Panda, no thanks, another McAfee.
they surely have something to hide
m3Tz4N.png

Sure there is, the first month is free.. Try it all you want on unlimited devices for no-charge for the first 30 days. Even your screenshot says 'Including 30-day free trial'. You ARE NOT billed beyond 30 days unless you allow it. But yes, to 'try' it, you DO need to enter either paypal or CC. But it's still a 30 day trial.

FMF.png

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Sure there is, the first month is free.. Try it all you want on unlimited devices for no-charge for the first 30 days. Even your screenshot says 'Including 30-day free trial'. You ARE NOT billed beyond 30 days unless you allow it. But yes, to 'try' it, you DO need to enter either paypal or CC. But it's still a 30 day trial.

View attachment 184770
I understand the concept, it's just flat out disgusting. only Panda and McAfee does this.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I understand the concept, it's just flat out disgusting. only Panda and McAfee does this.

I don't know why they do it, but to be honest, even if someone 'forgets' to cancel, it's till only $2.99 or whatever. I suspect their logic is that they have a free offering if you want to run it long term, and 30 day trial on the paid offering. It's a pretty useless paywall to be honest.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

One of the lab guys noted Panda sometimes had a long delay in processing unknown applications so he wrote a quick little piece of malware that kept relaunching itself and every Panda box we tested it on became virtually bricked as Panda tried to kill the process over and over essentially locking up. It even did this on a Threadripper test machine..

You can test this yourself without a specially crafted file. Set the application control to Deny on an application that will quickly try to relaunch itself and watch it very nearly brick a machine.

So they still have some work to do. But they've come a long way.. Get to work Panda.

D

Deleted member 65228

To be fair, Panda and McAfee may be the only services with such payment ways in the AV industry but there's many services that do it outside the AV industry. Pretty sure Netflix for one do that? As in first month free, payment happens unless you cancel within 30 days sort of thing.

Reactions: ZeroDay and roger_m

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
One of the lab guys noted Panda sometimes had a long delay in processing unknown applications so he wrote a quick little piece of malware that kept relaunching itself and every Panda box we tested it on became virtually bricked as Panda tried to kill the process over and over essentially locking up. It even did this on a Threadripper test machine..

You can test this yourself without a specially crafted file. Set the application control to Deny on an application that will quickly try to relaunch itself and watch it very nearly brick a machine.

So they still have some work to do. But they've come a long way.. Get to work Panda.
now it makes sense why they put that "block unknown process for x seconds" option, i found it hilarious, now it's just a bandaid to cover the bad design

Reactions: ZeroDay
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

All Panda Dome free and up installers have been updated to v18.06.00, no changelog yet available, but at first glance didn't see any new features introduced, probably just bug fixes. More info should be up in next coming hours/days.

pandadome-1806-06.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Bug Note: During May testing, Panda’s protection rate fell below its usual standard. After the test, when we provided Panda with the relevant test data, they discovered a bug in their products caused by a recent update. This meant that some few malware samples were reported in the logs, but not blocked or warned about. Panda rapidly fixed the bug, and Panda products now protect fully against all their missed test cases.

AV-Comparatives: Real-World Protection Test – May 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.