Panda Dome Firewall

Slyguy

Level 34
OS
Other OS
The question now is since we know that the firewall is very powerful, is the AV/Malware blocking side of Panda as good as places like AV-C say? Basically near perfect results since July of last year.
Good question.

Also we should ask how good is it with the firewall, signatures, and if the datashield and application control are set to DENY instead of the default ask? That's the million dollar question right now because in theory, unauthorized processes should have no execution facilities under those deny settings.

OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Isolation
Good question.

Also we should ask how good is it with the firewall, signatures, and if the datashield and application control are set to DENY instead of the default ask? That's the million dollar question right now because in theory, unauthorized processes should have no execution facilities under those deny settings.
Yeah this is more important, if all the components as you say work together and lock everything down, then the protection would be very high.

So far the performance for me at least is really good. I can open a big folder on my HDD and there are no delays with loading files. With Windows Defender it is quite slow. Doesn't seem to take up much resources looking in Task Manager.

Slyguy

Level 34
OS
Other OS
So far the performance for me at least is really good. I can open a big folder on my HDD and there are no delays with loading files. With Windows Defender it is quite slow. Doesn't seem to take up much resources looking in Task Manager.
The performance is amazing on Dome. I have it on a test machine at home I am hammering and like you said, no issue loading large directories. I have a directory with 10,000 files in it, and it opens it VERY fast compared to any other AV I have tested. (including G Data and FortiClient)

I have the Panda box on a DMZ here. Zero firewall protection, isolation. The method we have is we all use this system to 'do stuff' and after a week I do a full evaluation of it. Stuff comes down to anything anyone wants to do, anything they want to surf, anything they want to download.. I encourage risk on that DMZ'd machine. So Panda is sitting there now and my son is trying junk out from CNET.. :unsure:

OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Isolation
The performance is amazing on Dome. I have it on a test machine at home I am hammering and like you said, no issue loading large directories. I have a directory with 10,000 files in it, and it opens it VERY fast compared to any other AV I have tested. (including G Data and FortiClient)

I have the Panda box on a DMZ here. Zero firewall protection, isolation. The method we have is we all use this system to 'do stuff' and after a week I do a full evaluation of it. Stuff comes down to anything anyone wants to do, anything they want to surf, anything they want to download.. I encourage risk on that DMZ'd machine. So Panda is sitting there now and my son is trying junk out from CNET.. :unsure:
Definitely report back and let us know how Panda does against all that junk.

Slyguy

Level 34
OS
Other OS
Some important things about the Panda Firewall.. Keep in mind I am still refining and testing this and will surely make adjustments in the coming days, especially after I see what happens on my DMZ Honeypot w/Panda.

Panda's firewall was clearly designed by someone that has an enterprise networking background because it uses cascade policy based execution of blocks. Those up and down arrows are there for a purpose, they are there to allow you policy based restrictions of your system via firewall rules. So in the case of Panda, your BASE rule should be DENY ALL for ALL PROGRAMS. Since the rules are processed top to bottom, your known good applications will process before the DENY ALL and therefore pass through. ALL OTHER applications will be denied because the top to bottom rules will be ignored, only triggering at the DENY ALL.

For example here is a basic filter policy for a UTM, all rules are processed top to bottom, so anything allowed starts at the top, and goes down. The bottom rule is always DENY ALL. That way anything not explicitly allowed, dies at the bottom. Panda functions exactly like this except the left out the Deny All, which I added back in. So any process not explicitly permitted is going to get denied. Period.

So in this illustration, I created a DENY ALL policy blocking ALL PROGRAMS not listed and allowed in the previous policies/rules.

Deny All.png

Another change I made - expanding the data shield out to encompass more critical system areas and to encompass a larger scope of files extensions I want to protect from manipulation. This should effectively nerf most malware from doing much other than being useless.

datashield.png

Last edited:
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
G Data
Panda is classified as an auto-rule firewall. From what we can tell it does a signature+cloud+reputation validation of a file requesting outbound access, if the file is legitimate and safe it will apply an auto-generated 'Allow outgoing' rule to the list. At that point you can restrict the item by toggling it to Allow Inbound, Allow Outbound, Allow Both, Deny. Whatever.

Granular control is impressive. For example you can simply set all auto-generated rules to default to BLOCK ALL and manually allow each individual one as needed. You can restrict individual programs, ports, protocols at a pretty nice granular level.

However, where there could be a viewed fault is it DOES NOT NOTIFY. That's where it comes in as a quiet auto-rule generating firewall. No constant nags, and the downside is, there is no way that I can find to turn on constant nagging. Blocked firewall traversal does show up in the reports and firewall activity list, but doesn't 'pop up' alerts. Is that a deal breaker? Not really, since you still have granular control beyond the auto-rule system. I just wish they'd rework it to provide a 'noisy' option.
This is a great explanation. Unfortunately it is a deal-breaker situation for me as I keep a very strict policy on which apps connect to the internet. Even if they are marked as safe, I do not want any telemetry/auto update apps to connect. It is illogical to check for which rules Panda dome has created, everyday. An "Ask User" option would be perfect for this scenario.

Also noticed that there's no option to "allow/block both" as you've suggested.

Slyguy

Level 34
OS
Other OS
This is a great explanation. Unfortunately it is a deal-breaker situation for me as I keep a very strict policy on which apps connect to the internet. Even if they are marked as safe, I do not want any telemetry/auto update apps to connect. It is illogical to check for which rules Panda dome has created, everyday. An "Ask User" option would be perfect for this scenario.

Also noticed that there's no option to "allow/block both" as you've suggested.
Think of Panda as always on 'learning/training' mode. I suspect they do this to avoid incessant popups and false positives for the 'average joe'. Keep in mind you should never have to blacklist anything more than one time. Just run and use your PC as normal, the rules will auto-populate on SAFE applications. Then go in and DENY OUTBOUND on anything you choose to deny on.

Allow/block both is there, but not in the way you think. Since it is a policy based firewall you simply create another policy for the same application and apply a different rule to it and move it next to the other one with up/down arrows.

Slyguy

Level 34
OS
Other OS
Panda Parental Control in Dome serves a great purpose beyond parental control.

It serves as your monitoring of forward and backend HTTP/HTTPS activity. It also serves as a fairly effective ad/tracking blocker. If you turn on parental control, set it to custom, it will monitor all activity which you can review later in a nicely laid out fashion. Also you can utilize parental control area to block specific domains as needed.

Finally, if you tick off 'Advertisements and Popups' it functions as an extremely lightweight additional ad/tracker filter.

Pandaweb.png

davisd

Level 16
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Cylance
Panda Parental Control in Dome serves a great purpose beyond parental control.

It serves as your monitoring of forward and backend HTTP/HTTPS activity. It also serves as a fairly effective ad/tracking blocker. If you turn on parental control, set it to custom, it will monitor all activity which you can review later in a nicely laid out fashion. Also you can utilize parental control area to block specific domains as needed.

Finally, if you tick off 'Advertisements and Popups' it functions as an extremely lightweight additional ad/tracker filter.

View attachment 185405
Nice, how efficient is Panda's ad/track in comparison to Kaspersky's Anti-banner? I always found when I enabled it, many pages got broken. How's with Panda? I want to move on from uBlock/Adguard, does Panda use some inhouse made or prebuilt filters? I suppose user can't manage them, right? Appreciate your input about Panda, waiting for your next detailed discovery about some of it's modules in Dome Advanced. :)

Faybert

Level 22
AV-Tester
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
G Data
I think that ZoneAlarm Free only run auto updates once a day, but You may run them manually...
Yes, you are right, it automatically is once a day, but it can always be updated manually, the free version has this limitation, also does not have cloud access and threat emulation, but comes with Firewall and Behavior Blocker, although I have not tested it well to know if it is effective.

bjm_

Level 3
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Microsoft
The sos Panda Dome Essential giveaway which includes this firewall is still active but today is the last day so hurry if you want it.
I picked up Essential giveaway, yesterday. I installed Dome Essential and did not see Firewall as described in this thread. I did receive several connection alert popups... but, did not find Firewall with Settings as this thread describes.
2634.png
IDK....maybe, I'll try Dome reinstall ?