Update Panda Free Antivirus 18.0 Free

Discussion in 'Panda' started by Mops21, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Mops21

Mops21 Level 22
    Trusted

Oct 25, 2014
    Official Website:
    http://www.pandasecurity.com/germany/homeusers/solutions/free-antivirus/
    Build version:
    Hi all

Panda Free AntiVirus 18.0 Free
    • New UI completely redesigned.
    • Improved subscription and device management integrated in the product. Users can manage their subscriptions and their anti-theft protection (My Devices area) from their products.
    • Fully compatible with the new Windows 10 Anniversary Update.
    • Engine improvements for better protection and performance.
    • Other improvements requested by Panda Community.
    Panda Free Antivirus 18.0 brings redesigned UI, better protection and performance

With best Regards
    Mops21

Polygon, uninfected1, Wave and 14 others like this.
  2. Evandro

Evandro Level 2

Dec 20, 2014
    DBA Oracle Administrator.
    Porto Alegre, Brazil.
    Windows 10
    Doctor Web
    I Will test it soon... thanks

Polygon, uninfected1, kev216 and 3 others like this.
  3. spaceoctopus

spaceoctopus Level 10

Jul 13, 2014
    Distant galaxy
    Windows 10
    ESET
    Great news, great product!:)

4. Maziar Ansari

Maziar Ansari Level 1

May 15, 2016
    Iran
  5. kev216

kev216 Level 18
    Content Creator Trusted

Aug 6, 2014
    Belgium
    Windows 10
    Sophos
    Nice visual update. Did the other products (AV Pro, Internet security, Global protection, etc) also get this makeover?

Polygon, uninfected1 and spaceoctopus like this.
  6. Petrovic

Petrovic Level 61
    Trusted

Apr 25, 2013
    Somewhere In nowhere
    Polygon, uninfected1 and spaceoctopus like this.
  7. Music4Ever

Music4Ever Level 2

Aug 4, 2016
    Hospice
    Sheffield UK
    Windows 10
    ESET
    Any idea when updates will be available for other Panda products? I use Anti-Virus Pro & I'm extremely pleased with it.

8. jamescv7

jamescv7 Level 61
    Trusted

Mar 15, 2011
    Web and FileMaker Developer
    Philippines
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    So far the current UI is based on 2016, no wallpaper background style compare on free version.

9. spaceoctopus

spaceoctopus Level 10

Jul 13, 2014
    Distant galaxy
    Windows 10
    ESET
    #9 spaceoctopus, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    Usually the normal installer is available, before, it is automatically updated on systems that Panda is already installed.Like they explain on their forum.

Panda Security Forum - View topic - [CLOSED] Auto update never does work, must install every version manually

''...we meant that the upgrade will take place once the upgrade is certified and published, not when the new version is published''

I think it will be available for upgrade very soon. :) I guess those procedures are important to tackle any problems that may arise at the last minute. Some other brands usually release the new version in some countries only, and available globally in a week or two.

Polygon, uninfected1 and kev216 like this.
  10. Music4Ever

Music4Ever Level 2

Aug 4, 2016
    Hospice
    Sheffield UK
    Windows 10
    ESET
    Thanks for that ! Paul

uninfected1, spaceoctopus and kev216 like this.
  11. blueblackwow65

blueblackwow65 Level 11

Dec 19, 2012
    Testd this and protection was awful ,anyone else see this?

Polygon and uninfected1 like this.
  12. RejZoR

RejZoR Level 7

Nov 26, 2016
    Security Software Guru
    Europe/Slovenia
    Windows 10
    Avast
    Panda Free (Panda Cloud) basically nose dived ever since "pbust" left the team. He was the only one who kept communication on a reasonable level.

I mean, their current policy is just stupid.

- most of the times, no changelogs what so ever for new versions
    - dropped out of all AV-C and AV-T tests despite having phenomenal results most of the time
    - the URL blocker is still the stupid toolbar thing despite the fact they have an integrated URL scanner!?
    - stupendous forcing of the registration and account is really annoying

I just don't get their policy. Do they want to push users away or excite them to invite more people to use it?

13. Lord Ami

Lord Ami Level 15
    Trusted AV Tester

Sep 14, 2014
    Estonia
    I still wonder about it. Like you said, they have integrated (driver level or something) URL scanning that is independent from the toolbar. Also, some AVs detect components of that toolbar as Adware - which I think it is really. It was denied by their staff that this toolbar or its components snoops behind their users, but actually I don't believe it that much. Why else bundle it with free version? It adds no protection, no usability what so ever. Toolbars themselves are LONG dead.

I believe it is to make some money out of free users... I could be wrong tho.

14. spaceoctopus

spaceoctopus Level 10

Jul 13, 2014
    Distant galaxy
    Windows 10
    ESET
    In the Free version you need to install the toolbar to get the url protection, you have no choice if you want to get the url protection. But the paid versions it is already integrated in the product. You don't need to install the toolbar, simply unselect during installation:) It is true that many AVs detect it as a PUP, hope they improve something concerning that toolbar soon. The best thing would be that they remove it. Obviously, like some other free AVs it is used for some sort of tracking and revenue. Been using the Panda Internet Security 2016 on a work Pc for about a year now, and personally i think it is one of the best product on the market. Fast, light and effective.

On the management and communication side they really need some work, underlined by RejzoR just above. Sometimes it's annoying that they don't provide proper changelogs about their product. You have to ask on their support forum to get the details about those changelogs.This has to be fixed.
    I also think that they should get back in some independent test, because it is good for business, selling their product and for a good company image.
    The registration is pretty standard for many AVs today. You need that registration to activate your product and also for anti-theft features for example.

The free version is a bit basic, but the Antivirus pro, Internet security or Global protection are really good products. Many testers often test the free version only and not the paid versions. Perhaps that is why it is often a highly underrated product. :)

Polygon and kev216 like this.
  15. Lord Ami

Lord Ami Level 15
    Trusted AV Tester

Sep 14, 2014
    Estonia
    That is needed, yes. But it can be removed afterwards and it does not affect the web scanning at all - rendering it useless junk in the first place. Why they implement it? That is a mystery to me (or one can agree with my statement above - some sort of revenue generator).

Polygon, kev216 and spaceoctopus like this.
  16. RejZoR

RejZoR Level 7

Nov 26, 2016
    Security Software Guru
    Europe/Slovenia
    Windows 10
    Avast
    But URL blocking is essential protection layer. Without it, you're effectively removing a large chunk of protection capability.

Polygon, spaceoctopus and kev216 like this.
  17. spaceoctopus

spaceoctopus Level 10

Jul 13, 2014
    Distant galaxy
    Windows 10
    ESET
    Obviously it is for revenue. Like in some free antivirus, you can't disable Ads and announcements. Same principle, it is a way to generate money. Not many people would uninstall it later after installation.
    Also the fact that the product is free.......or ''Free'';) , it is difficult to bargain about what you get and what is not given to you. It is also about marketing, other brands use the same tactics. They don't offer a paid version for nothing.

kev216 likes this.
  18. spaceoctopus

spaceoctopus Level 10

Jul 13, 2014
    Distant galaxy
    Windows 10
    ESET
    Yes you are right, Url protection is important. But again, the product is Free, they decide what they want to give you.:) Free is not really free. Still you can have protection against phishing and dangerous websites. It is already integrated in your browser.

tim one and kev216 like this.
  19. kev216

kev216 Level 18
    Content Creator Trusted

Aug 6, 2014
    Belgium
    Windows 10
    Sophos
    If you are more of an extensions fan instead of the old toolbar, you can also install their extension: Panda Safe Web
    It's a bit like Avast or Avira has.

spaceoctopus, tim one and frogboy like this.
  20. Mops21

Mops21 Level 22
    Trusted

Oct 25, 2014
    spaceoctopus likes this.