Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Content Creator
Oct 25, 2014
Hi all

Panda Free AntiVirus 18.0 Free
  • New UI completely redesigned.
  • Improved subscription and device management integrated in the product. Users can manage their subscriptions and their anti-theft protection (My Devices area) from their products.
  • Fully compatible with the new Windows 10 Anniversary Update.
  • Engine improvements for better protection and performance.
  • Other improvements requested by Panda Community.
Panda Free Antivirus 18.0 brings redesigned UI, better protection and performance

With best Regards
Mops21

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Any idea when updates will be available for other Panda products? I use Anti-Virus Pro & I'm extremely pleased with it.
Usually the normal installer is available, before, it is automatically updated on systems that Panda is already installed.Like they explain on their forum.

Panda Security Forum - View topic - [CLOSED] Auto update never does work, must install every version manually

''...we meant that the upgrade will take place once the upgrade is certified and published, not when the new version is published''

I think it will be available for upgrade very soon. :) I guess those procedures are important to tackle any problems that may arise at the last minute. Some other brands usually release the new version in some countries only, and available globally in a week or two.

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Usually the normal installer is available, before, it is automatically updated on systems that Panda is already installed.Like they explain on their forum.

Panda Security Forum - View topic - [CLOSED] Auto update never does work, must install every version manually

''...we meant that the upgrade will take place once the upgrade is certified and published, not when the new version is published''

I think it will be available for upgrade very soon. :) I guess those procedures are important to tackle any problems that may arise at the last minute. Some other brands usually release the new version in some countries only, and available globally in a week or two.

Thanks for that ! Paul

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Panda Free (Panda Cloud) basically nose dived ever since "pbust" left the team. He was the only one who kept communication on a reasonable level.

I mean, their current policy is just stupid.

- most of the times, no changelogs what so ever for new versions
- dropped out of all AV-C and AV-T tests despite having phenomenal results most of the time
- the URL blocker is still the stupid toolbar thing despite the fact they have an integrated URL scanner!?
- stupendous forcing of the registration and account is really annoying

I just don't get their policy. Do they want to push users away or excite them to invite more people to use it?

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
- the URL blocker is still the stupid toolbar thing despite the fact they have an integrated URL scanner!?
I still wonder about it. Like you said, they have integrated (driver level or something) URL scanning that is independent from the toolbar. Also, some AVs detect components of that toolbar as Adware - which I think it is really. It was denied by their staff that this toolbar or its components snoops behind their users, but actually I don't believe it that much. Why else bundle it with free version? It adds no protection, no usability what so ever. Toolbars themselves are LONG dead.

I believe it is to make some money out of free users... I could be wrong tho.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
I still wonder about it. Like you said, they have integrated (driver level or something) URL scanning that is independent from the toolbar. Also, some AVs detect components of that toolbar as Adware - which I think it is really. It was denied by their staff that this toolbar or its components snoops behind their users, but actually I don't believe it that much. Why else bundle it with free version? It adds no protection, no usability what so ever. Toolbars themselves are LONG dead.

I believe it is to make some money out of free users... I could be wrong tho.

In the Free version you need to install the toolbar to get the url protection, you have no choice if you want to get the url protection. But the paid versions it is already integrated in the product. You don't need to install the toolbar, simply unselect during installation:) It is true that many AVs detect it as a PUP, hope they improve something concerning that toolbar soon. The best thing would be that they remove it. Obviously, like some other free AVs it is used for some sort of tracking and revenue. Been using the Panda Internet Security 2016 on a work Pc for about a year now, and personally i think it is one of the best product on the market. Fast, light and effective.

On the management and communication side they really need some work, underlined by RejzoR just above. Sometimes it's annoying that they don't provide proper changelogs about their product. You have to ask on their support forum to get the details about those changelogs.This has to be fixed.
I also think that they should get back in some independent test, because it is good for business, selling their product and for a good company image.
The registration is pretty standard for many AVs today. You need that registration to activate your product and also for anti-theft features for example.

The free version is a bit basic, but the Antivirus pro, Internet security or Global protection are really good products. Many testers often test the free version only and not the paid versions. Perhaps that is why it is often a highly underrated product. :)

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
In the Free version you need to install the toolbar to get the url protection, you have no choice if you want to get the url protection. But the paid versions it is already integrated in the product. You don't need to install the toolbar, simply unselect during installation:)
That is needed, yes. But it can be removed afterwards and it does not affect the web scanning at all - rendering it useless junk in the first place. Why they implement it? That is a mystery to me (or one can agree with my statement above - some sort of revenue generator).

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
That is needed, yes. But it can be removed afterwards and it does not affect the web scanning at all - rendering it useless junk in the first place. Why they implement it? That is a mystery to me (or one can agree with my statement above - some sort of revenue generator).

Obviously it is for revenue. Like in some free antivirus, you can't disable Ads and announcements. Same principle, it is a way to generate money. Not many people would uninstall it later after installation.
Also the fact that the product is free.......or ''Free'';) , it is difficult to bargain about what you get and what is not given to you. It is also about marketing, other brands use the same tactics. They don't offer a paid version for nothing.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
But URL blocking is essential protection layer. Without it, you're effectively removing a large chunk of protection capability.

Yes you are right, Url protection is important. But again, the product is Free, they decide what they want to give you.:) Free is not really free. Still you can have protection against phishing and dangerous websites. It is already integrated in your browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.