Advice Request Panda Free AV and COMODO Firewall - Is this a good combo?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jashin

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 27, 2016
Hello people! I currently using AVG IS but i decided to combine 2 engines for the best protection possible(also free for the public). Im very satisfied about AVG detection but why not testing out a new security for my pc. So PANDA AV is light and good and COMODO FW is pretty damn good actually. Through the many testings that i have dove it appears that both the AV and COMODO with everything turned ON works perfectly fine.What do u think about that combination of products?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
panda has good signatures but is weak in behavior blocking. Also, Panda depends on cloud.
However, if you have COMODO firewall properly configured, then you don't even need AV. So anything you use is good. If Panda works for you, use it!

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Actually it really does not matter what AV will be run with Comodo (as long as there are no conflicts, of course). With no AV at all the Sandbox will do all of the work; with the best AV (fill in your favorite here) the Sandbox will do less work. Either way you will be protected and this is the goal of any security setup.

But Panda would be fine if only for the cute panda face in the tray.

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

panda has good signatures but is weak in behavior blocking. Also, Panda depends on cloud.
However, if you have COMODO firewall properly configured, then you don't even need AV. So anything you use is good. If Panda works for you, use it!
Actually Panda has a very good behavior blocker but not the greatest signatures.

S

Sr. Normal 2.0

Yes, it's really a good combo, you can get an excellent defense by combining Comodo Firewall with Qihoo, Bitdefender free, Panda ... or just install it on your Comodo Internet Security computer.

All these are very good options and very light. Everything depends on the desire you have to configure your defense. If you do not want to make too many decisions, follow the @cruelsister settings in Regarding Comodo and add the AV you want from the list above.

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

AMSI is for script files. The behavior blocker monitors many more file types. One cannot expect the behavior blocker to detect all of the malware alone, for a behavior blocker the Panda's one is a good one. I have tested it with samples many times and have saw it blocking many malware files after executed. I have also saw it miss some ransomware and other threats, as you can expect from a behavior blocker. It cannot detect all of the malware and if you throw many files against it, there is always the chance to miss. Not defending Panda, but it is a good antivirus. One of the innovators to use autonomous behavior analysis + pioneer in the use of cloud infrastructure for antimalware purposes. There is no such thing as "best antivirus", at least in this world. I am using Avast currently and it doesn't have a behavior blocker at all, will get one after the AVG beta.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
AMSI is for script files. The behavior blocker monitors many more file types. One cannot expect the behavior blocker to detect all of the malware alone, for a behavior blocker the Panda's one is a good one. I have tested it with samples many times and have saw it blocking many malware files after executed. I have also saw it miss some ransomware and other threats, as you can expect from a behavior blocker. It cannot detect all of the malware and if you throw many files against it, there is always the chance to miss. Not defending Panda, but it is a good antivirus. One of the innovators to use autonomous behavior analysis + pioneer in the use of cloud infrastructure for antimalware purposes. There is no such thing as "best antivirus", at least in this world. I am using Avast currently and it doesn't have a behavior blocker at all, will get one after the AVG beta.
I agree with you. After some years, I now went back to Panda to give it a new try and I have to say they improved much. I really like their idea of the collective intelligence, but it still has some room for improvement and optimisation. The signatures are ok, but already better than in the past. The behaviour blocker is indeed not bad, but what I like about the product is that you can have full control of what is going on on your computer. I'm not talking about the free version now, but in the PRO and Internet security version, if you enable the application control, you get the same effect as Avast in strong hardened mode. It will not allow any executable that is not verified or not trusted by Panda's collective intelligence and it will ask you what to do. In the internet security, you also have the data shield, which will warn you when a ransomware passed the signatures and is trying to lock your files. It won't allow it to do so until you give the permission, which of course you never want to do. You can also immidiately set it to block instead of asking and you need to configure it a bit to get full profit from it. The web blocking of Panda is excellent and it already saved me multiple times, and no, you don't need the toolbar. Also in the process monitor of Panda, you can easily see which applications are accessing internet and which pages they visit and other interesting details. So in my opinion, the free version is easily to bypass and also on default settings, but if you use the internet security, once configured and once you have enabled the components I talked about, it's really a good AV and even for advanced users, because it will let you to control it and give you detailed reports, instead of the AV itself that have full control. You even don't need to buy it, just go to the giveaway page of Panda here on MT and grab your 180 day trial which you can install again and again.

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
I think is a fuly compatible combo. I like try and try whith comodo but sometimes are very tired

DC47561

Level 3
Verified
Feb 3, 2017
Pretty decent combo to me. I would set the COMODO auto-sandbox mode so that it automatically blocks unknown applications and marks them as either "Un-trusted" - limited user access or blocked.

R

Rodney74

yes. I liked it... I wonder about Immunet and Comodo Cloud AV together.

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

you may get infected by CCAV because malwares can be marked as safe by mistakes by analysts via Valkyrie. I got 1 malware bypassed CCAV because of that reason
CF doesn't have valkyrie so it's a lot better
Err... what? :eek::confused:o_O Marked as safe by analysts? Isn't it the other way around, marked as undetected by product and then fixed by analyst? Phew, what time we live in!!

About Panda and Comodo, i've said it more than once, it's an excellent combination. Panda is a great innovator and has revolutionised the industry not once actually. It has been using autonomous behavioral detection with machine learning since 2004. One of the pioneers. Also it was the first one to use the cloud in the IT security industry back in the days when the word "cloud" still only symbolised flying blue things in the air (2007). And still today it is the only company i know that uses "reverse definitions" and runs the real scanning "in the cloud" instead of only using it for hash calculations and reputation. F-Secure is another such company. And some companies (mainly the bigger ones) today say - "Hey, this is a revolutionizing way of us to protect you, with A.I. machine learning and behavior blocker technologies." F-Secure had a great series of posts about that. Unfortunately these two companies are not that famous like the bigger ones. Maybe because they value technology more than marketing.

Comodo is not the best at the above features, but it is very good in the firewall department and they are the company which pushes auto-containment as an effective security layer in the industry. Not exacly the most easy way to do it but a pretty sure method of protecting. But their website detection, behavior and signature technologies aren't that great. They have maybe the best classic HIPS which is still under development/in support today. Combined they are very good.

Emmanuellws

Level 3
Verified
Mar 11, 2017
ok, Panda Free AV and Comodo Firewall....In my own personal oppinion Panda Antivirus alone is not really great and its detection update in Virustotal is a little bit slow. I have never use Comodo firewall before..but based on the name it seems like you are focusing on Antivirus and Anti Network Instrusion combination. If it is what you are looking for from this two product..i'd say it is a good one. But if your concern is more on zero-day and unknown malware and sophisticated malware, if Comodo does not offer Application Whitelisting and Sandbox technology...then it is not the right one. You can try Voodooshield + Panda Free AV or like my home computer is protected with AVG + Voodooshield. What you need to combat against new, unknown and most sophisticated malware/ransomware while protected against all known malware - is VoodooShield + any free AV. It is very rare these days hackers hack your ports directly..instead, they use targetted attacks through emails, or websites that will trick you to download and execute malware. Seriously, it is up to you as long it has all the features that you want and can really protect you against zeroday or fresh malware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.