Advice Request Panda installation blocked by voodooshield

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I personally just run Windows Defender with VoodooShield. I think it's enough
But WD is not as light as Panda right? Anyway, there are two reason that I don't use WD in it's current state. 1- you need to use 3rd party tools to configure it and to maximise its protection which I don't like at all even if the tools are safe and functional but I don't like the whole concept. 2- WD impacts system performance miserably at least for me.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
But WD is not as light as Panda right? Anyway, there are two reason that I don't use WD in it's current state. 1- you need to use 3rd party tools to configure it and to maximise its protection which I don't like at all even if the tools are safe and functional but I don't like the whole concept. 2- WD impacts system performance miserably at least for me.
I edited my previous post, then saw this one. Yes, Panda may be lighter, but do we really need it with its poor detection on zero days? It really kept having low detections since I started looking at windows security, so for me it's not a valid option.
So, my final suggestions are to learn better how VS work in case you are new to the product (it's really important to know how yours security software works and not use things blindly), learn to use VirusTotal.
If you want, add a third party AV but it's not really needed with a default-deny setup

L

Local Host

I edited my previous post, then saw this one. Yes, Panda may be lighter, but do we really need it with its poor detection on zero days? It really kept having low detections since I started looking at windows security, so for me it's not a valid option.
So, my final suggestions are to learn better how VS work in case you are new to the product (it's really important to know how yours security software works and not use things blindly), learn to use VirusTotal.
If you want, add a third party AV but it's not really needed with a default-deny setup
Panda problems are far from only 0-day, it fails to detect even old malware, makes no sense to look for protection against 0-day in a Home
Environment either way (not to mention WD also has poor 0-day protection, especially with default settings).

VS comes with VT reports for a good reason, default-deny doesn't detect malware whasoever, it "stops" all programs from running without consent, if the user can't tell if the specific program is malicious or not is just as useless.

Roadjet

Jul 28, 2019
Hi guys,
I was installing panda free in search of a lightweight free antivirus when voodooshield was triggered saying that one of the panda files is suspect.
It's a false positive?
Should i worry about panda free?
View attachment 217509
Have to be careful on just about any 'free' offer, developers still want to get paid. VS should always be put in 'Training ' mode when you REALLY Trust what your installing. BTW using VT to scan file prior to download as just SOP just makes sense. I still scan with MB prior to running installation.

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
Immunet has better and faster signatures. don't worry, you just need a little wingman for voodooshield and no fortress ;)
I had for a long time the same combo -> panda free + voodooshield free + syshardener.
Should be enough for a home user without bad habbits.
AVAST is more tweakable...did you already test any of the 3 av's?

@Evjl's Rain and @imuade can share their experiences too with immunet av

ddave

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 17, 2014
Immunet has better and faster signatures. don't worry, you just need a little wingman for voodooshield and no fortress ;)
I had for a long time the same combo -> panda free + voodooshield free + syshardener.
Should be enough for a home user without bad habbits.
AVAST is more tweakable...did you already test any of the 3 av's?

@Evjl's Rain and @imuade can share their experiences too with immunet av
Good to know about immunet. I thought, maybe wrongly, panda was better.
I used avast years ago but I uninstalled it because I prefer an antivirus that only does the antivirus and nothing else. Also I really dislike the policy of avast in privacy matter.

Do not combine VoodooShield and COMODO cloud, they really use both a default-deny technology and it's not needed to use both together.
I suggest Windows Defender (it has improved a lot) or Kaspersky free (if you look for strong signatures)
Windows defender and kaspersky really slow down my pc.

Both are basically the same but AVG’s hardened mode is medium only, no aggressive. I prefer AVG’s UI and it’s not quite so vigorous on the upselling. It provides plenty of protection. (y)
Avg violates privacy less than avast? Is it less "I do everything" than avast?
Avg is better than immunet?

Maybe Avira free? Just make sure not to install the junk with it.
Avira tries to install too many bloatware, imho.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Good to know about immunet. I thought, maybe wrongly, panda was better.
I used avast years ago but I uninstalled it because I prefer an antivirus that only does the antivirus and nothing else. Also I really dislike the policy of avast in privacy matter.

Windows defender and kaspersky really slow down my pc.

Avg violates privacy less than avast? Is it less "I do everything" than avast?
Avg is better than immunet?

Avira tries to install too many bloatware, imho.

You said that WD and Kaspersky do slow your PC and I agree. Avast and AVG don't respect your privacy. Avira Free is the better alternative and I believe you can choose not to install the junk.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.