Advice Request Password manager: Question is simply - why did you choose the one you are using now?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Hi,

My girlfriend wants a password manager. I don't use a password manager (I use weird passphrases with the association I have with the websites name and purpose). So what better place to ask for advice than MalwareTips forum? Don't want it to make it an A versus B discussion, I thought it may be better to ask

1. For which compelling reason did you choose your password manager?

2. What do you like especially about your password manager of choice?

3. What else should I know about the password manager of your choice?

Thanks in advance

Context: she wants to use it on her personal Android Phone and work iPhone and on her Windows aptop.

Lenny

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Since 2014, LastPass. Cannot remember the reason, but it's done good for 6 years.

Use on Android without a Premium subscription. Has it's own LastPass Authenticator app for 2FA with Backup function.

It works.

=====
Edit: Using a Google account on an Android device is a no-brainer. If passwords are saved in Chrome sync, you can set Google as Auto-Fill default in the Android settings...... Allows you login to Sites and Android apps without another Password manager.

I actually use it regularly alongside LastPass, both are great options.

https://passwords.google.com/intro

Last edited:

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Well because i have alot of forums different username/password which some of my passwords are weak i read some news about hacks, expose my account etc which some sites have my account they can see my personal information i was in shock i use 1password for the first time because i want strong password later after a few years i left 1password to use Bitwarden its one of best free password manager.

by the way, dont put bank account in password manager write down in the note. make new account for work stuff...

toto_10

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
1. I'm convinced that the average user here at MT are using Bitwarden. That's my reason why I picked Bitwarden.

2. I like everything about this password manager. I have used it for approximately 1 year and I regret I didn't tried out a password manager earlier. I like how simple it is to create a login. My 2 favorite settings are auto-fill and dark theme :)
I'm not the biggest security-geek, but as I'm reading here in MT the security is top-notch.

3. Enjoy Bitwarden. The sync with my iPhone is brilliant.

Bitwarden is on my top 3 must-have-app-list. One last notice, I don't have my email and bank information stored in Bitwarden. Those information are buried deep inside my brain :LOL:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
KeePass.
  1. I chose it because I'm uncomfortable putting all of my passwords on some company's servers, and concerned about reported vulnerabilities affecting its competitors.
  2. Truth be told there's nothing I like about it. It's ugly, feels archaic and lacks the convenience features of its competitors.
Not exactly a glowing recommendation I know, but my first point fully explains my continued usage.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Well, I am using two password managers. First, Enpass and I really like it. I have a lifetime license. It is light, it works flawlessly with Firefox, Chrome, Chromeedge, Opera, Vivaldi, Waterfox and Palemoon. I sync my vault to Koofr using WebDav, so I do not need to worry if they get hacked. To be honest, I do not know how secure their architecture is, but it works for me. Regarding Sticky Password, which I also have a lifetime license for, it is one of the best especially because it allows you to sync you vault across devices using your local Wifi. The most annoying thing about it is that it does not support many browsers and it is somewhat heavy on resources (in comparison with other password managers). System impact is not common among password managers (even those who offer desktop clients such as 1Password and Roboform). I am not a fan of neither LastPass nor Bitwarden. I do not like the way they work (standalone extension). I prefer how Sticky Password and Enpass works; bot install a desktop client and browser extensions connect to your desktop client and the process requires authentication for security purposes. I have used 1Password for a very long time and I admit that it is one of the best password managers. I like the design, its lightness and the Backup kit (some kind of extra information needed for security; you're given a security key that you will need on top of your master password to be ab;e to access your vault. If you want my advice, no one can recommend you a password manager that you will like and that will work for you. Download and try as many as you can and see which one works for you the best. I know it is time-consuming, but that way you ensure you found the right one.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I'm also using two password managers: Keepass on my desktop for all my passwords. I have a copy of my database on an external disk and a copy in OneDrive ( personal vault). For my tablet and my phone, I use Enpass with only the passwords I need for those two devices. I have a lifetime license. Very easy to sync and use.
Each year I print a copy of all my passwords and put it in a safe.

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
I've tried others, but Keepass is the one for me. It's portable, it's open source, it has a good plugin ecosystem, it's well-maintained, it integrates well with portable browsers without browser extensions, it keeps the database locally, it can import a wide variety of DB formats, and it's packed with useful features like a strong password creator. The UI isn't pretty, but I don't mind at all.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
BitWarden - free and open source and it usually works really well, though there have been a couple of times recently when I couldn't sign into it for brief periods.

I've tried various password managers in the past with varying degrees of satisfaction. I liked LastPass a few years ago but there have been lots of leaks from them over the years, one leak is too many, the number that LastPass has suffered is inexcusable for a security app. Roboform was the first PM I used extensively - 15 years ago or more, it seems clunky to me now. I wanted to like Keepass but @Arequire sums up my views on it well. Enpass was another that I tried and wanted to like but it didn't seem to come up to the mark for me. DashLane was just so-so in my view; nothing special.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I have picked Bitwarden, because of autocomplete feature. I did not want it to be saved within the browser. 1-click autofill is also very convenient for passwords and prevents browser's autofill exploits (the user has to click). But I still use an offline Keepass with TCATO for sensitive passwords.
also, if you want, check your accounts & passwords: sec.hpi.de
Thanks, much better than haveibeenpwned, more detailed.

Attachments

• capture_04082020_093039.jpg
    capture_04082020_093039.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 310
  • capture_04082020_094038.jpg
    capture_04082020_094038.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 309
  • capture_04082020_094912.jpg
    capture_04082020_094912.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 325

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I have picked Bitwarden, because of autocomplete feature. I did not want it to be saved within the browser. 1-click autofill is also very convenient for passwords and prevents browser's autofill exploits (the user has to click). But I still use an offline Keepass with TCATO for sensitive passwords.

Thanks, much better than haveibeenpwned, more detailed.
While I agree and have used the service https://sec.hpi.de/ilc/search myself, what to do with the first one?
Password leaked in unknown collection; you don't know what password, from the other accounts below?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.