Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
It’s Patch Tuesday again, and Microsoft has released a set of updates for all supported versions of Windows 10.

The updates bring the following fixes and improvements:

For Windows 10, version 1903 and 1903 Microsoft is releasing KB4549951 (OS Builds 18362.778 and 18363.778) which brings the following fixes and improvements:

Highlights
  • Updates to improve security when using Microsoft Office products.
  • Updates to improve security when Windows performs basic operations.
  • Updates for storing and managing files.
Windows 10, version 1903 and 1909

This security update includes quality improvements. Key changes include:

Addresses an issue that prevents certain apps from installing if they are published using a Group Policy Object.
Security updates to the Microsoft Scripting Engine, Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Windows Cloud Infrastructure, Windows Virtualization, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Kernel, Windows Media, Windows Shell, Windows Management, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Virtualization, Windows Storage and Filesystems, Windows Update Stack, and the Microsoft JET Database Engine .

This release also contains updates for Microsoft HoloLens (OS Build 18362.1057) released April 14, 2020. Microsoft will release an update directly to the Windows Update Client to improve Windows Update reliability on Microsoft HoloLens that have not updated to this most recent OS Build.

Known issues in this update
Microsoft is not currently aware of any issues with this update.

The update can be found in the Windows Update Catalogue here.

Last edited:

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
vfR8jmz.png

;)

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I tried a few times checking for updates and no file was downloaded. But the installation proceeds even to 100% and give the error message I posted above. I think I got a corrupted downloaded file.

I can't find the file in the Download folder. Does anyone knows where is that file being stored on the drive? I would like to get rid of it and re-download again.

Thanks

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
To delete the corrupted updates, follow these instructions:

1. Go to This PC and open the partition you have your Windows installed on (it’s usually C:)
  2. Go to Windows folder
  3. In Windows folder, find the folder named Softwaredistribution and open it
  4. Open sub-folder Download and delete everything from it (you might need an administrator permission)
  5. Now go to Search, type update and open Windows Update Settings
  6. Go to Advanced Options and set Notify to schedule restart under Choose how updates are installed

Source

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi

I followed your instructions and deleted all the files in the Download folder. I then re-download using Windows update. The download was flawless and it installs till 100% after which the same error message (see above) pops up again. I tried that twice and the result is the same.

Then I did a manual download and a manual install with the link given by @SeriousHoax and it gives the following error

Looking at the 2 error messages it's apparent that some files could not be installed.

1586924345153.png

Attachments

• 1586924347207.png
    1586924347207.png
    119.5 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

sirius777

Level 2
Oct 24, 2019
I defer these updates for 4 days. Why? Well... often these updates cause problems, and then in the weekend (about 4 days later) they either pull back the updates or deliver patches to fix the problems caused by the updates. How? Local Group Policy Editor > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Windows Update for Business > Select when Quality Updates are recieved. And I do the same for feature updates but then for feature updates I select 365 days.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
O ye of little faith! Whatever is up with all of you who are delaying Patch Tuesday updates?!!!!!

I'm picturing a day sometime not too far into the future when just about anybody who knows how to delay Patch Tuesday updates will be doing so. So that the only people with totally borked devices will be those who don't know how to reverse the procedures and wait for a patched patch to replace the failed patch, but they can't download the patched patch on a borked device. A world with say 80% of devices borked while many of us are under lockdown isn't one I really want to contemplate!

Is this a conspiracy by computer techies to create a multiplicity of work opportunities?!

OK, I'll come clean, all Windows devices here are under strict instructions not to go anywhere near Patrch Tuesday updates until a few positive reports filter through.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Krebs on Security:
Now for my obligatory disclaimers. Just a friendly reminder that while many of the vulnerabilities fixed in today’s Microsoft patch batch affect Windows 7 operating systems — including all three of the zero-day flaws — this OS is no longer being supported with security updates (unless you’re an enterprise taking advantage of Microsoft’s paid extended security updates program, which is available to Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 enterprise users).

If you rely on Windows 7 for day-to-day use, it’s to think about upgrading to something newer. That something might be a computer with Windows 10. Or maybe you have always wanted that shiny MacOS computer.

If cost is a primary motivator and the user you have in mind doesn’t do much with the system other than browsing the Web, perhaps a Chromebook or an older machine with a recent version of Linux is the answer (Ubuntu may be easiest for non-Linux natives). Whichever system you choose, it’s important to pick one that fits the owner’s needs and provides security updates on an ongoing basis.

Keep in mind that while staying up-to-date on Windows patches is a must, it’s important to make sure you’re updating only after you’ve backed up your important data and files. A reliable backup means you’re not losing your mind when the odd buggy patch causes problems booting the system.

So do yourself a favor and backup your files before installing any patches. Windows 10 even has some built-in tools to help you do that, either on a per-file/folder basis or by making a complete and bootable copy of your hard drive all at once.

As always, if you experience glitches or problems installing any of these patches this month, please consider leaving a comment about it below; there’s a better-than-even chance other readers have experienced the same and may chime in here with some helpful tips. Also, keep an eye on the AskWoody blog from Woody Leonhard, who keeps a close eye on buggy Microsoft updates each month.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
my network yesterday is being disconnected a lot after this update installed . i suspect because of this update may be i will uninstall it soon

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
The only problem I’m seeing at this early date involves installation errors 0x80070008 , 0x800f0985, 0x800f0986, and 0x800f081f. Those are all pretty common. Usually retrying the installation clears up the error. But it always amazes me when people freak out because a Patch Tuesday patch doesn’t install. Given that there are no pressing security holes this month, you should be glad that the installer didn’t work

Patch Tuesday bugs appearing already – after installing today’s Office patches, you may trigger a VBA “Compile error: Can’t find project or library”

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.