I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Google Chrome: Ublock Origin, Ip and Domain
Maintenance tools
Analysis: Process Explorer, Autoruns, PeStudio
File and Photo backup
Backed up externally regularly
System recovery
I utilize a copy of Windows Media creation tool on a flash drive for "repairs" and "wipe/reformat's" when necessary.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
It is recommended to introduce Macrium Reflect etc and periodically back up the system image.
I do not feel the necessity when System is in good condition, but it will be easier to deal with in case of trouble.

Thank you for sharing:)

I

illumination

Thread author
It is recommended to introduce Macrium Reflect etc and periodically back up the system image.
I do not feel the necessity when System is in good condition, but it will be easier to deal with in case of trouble.

Thank you for sharing:)
Thank you for your recommendation. I utilize a copy of windows 10 media creation tool on a flash drive as opposed to using system images, which can become unstable/corrupted. I prefer to wipe the drive and clean install windows 10 from scratch or run repairs when needed this way. I keep all personal information on external drives backed up regularly, so I'm covered.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Thank you for your recommendation. I utilize a copy of windows 10 media creation tool on a flash drive as opposed to using system images, which can become unstable/corrupted. I prefer to wipe the drive and clean install windows 10 from scratch or run repairs when needed this way. I keep all personal information on external drives backed up regularly, so I'm covered.
I used to do that before.
However, applying new updates with Windows and applying updates ... will be bound a lot of time before getting into a familiar environment.
Recovery with "restoration" is often the case that the consistency of the time of each file collapses and it does not go well. Especially security software seems to tend to be so.

I

illumination

Thread author
I used to do that before.
However, applying new updates with Windows and applying updates

Another good reason to wipe and reformat over using system images. How many times have you seen MS push an update, that cripples systems, and another update be pushed to correct this first update issue finally getting it corrected but causing issues/corruption while doing so. I make it a practice to reformat every time a major update/change comes down the pike, it lessons chances of these type issues above rearing their ugly heads. With Windows 10, I find that even doing a full reformat, and having to place all personal items back on, and setting up applications again, is not as time consuming as say, doing so with Windows 7 or earlier. I can tear this system apart fully, and have it back to the state it was, in around 3 to 4 hours, small price to pay to have everything correct and working as should be.

I

illumination

Thread author
I second this, system image backups can save a lot of headache.
Thank you for your recommendation as well.

I prefer to still do things the old ways, as many are just better, time tested. Convenience of images that can become corrupted/unstable vs clean installs, I will choose clean installs every time. Because something is easier does not make it better. I have seen many times where images, have failed, leaving the user that relied upon their easy method, losing personal items, and much time. It is why I use both methods of personal information being exported externally to devices, as well as the separate media creation tool on a flash drive for repairs and reformats.

I

illumination

Thread author
Out of curiosity, are those commenting and recommending actually reading my configuration? It is quite obvious I'm not a novice, and as such, understand exactly how to secure my system and information.

Even after explaining that I back up my personal info via external devices and keep a updated often copy of windows 10 media creation tool for repairs and clean wipes, and that system images can become unstable/corrupt many of you are still trying to convince me to use one, why?

It would serve you all well, not to follow the Masses, sometimes the "M" is silent.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Out of curiosity, are those commenting and recommending actually reading my configuration? It is quite obvious I'm not a novice, and as such, understand exactly how to secure my system and information.

Even after explaining that I back up my personal info via external devices and keep a updated often copy of windows 10 media creation tool for repairs and clean wipes, and that system images can become unstable/corrupt many of you are still trying to convince me to use one, why?

It would serve you all well, not to follow the Masses, sometimes the "M" is silent.

That's because the backup is definitely a standard security set like a lunch menu.
You seem to be choosing a buffet lunch yourself, not a generally generous set.
It is important to decide and choose according to your own will. I also suggested backing up, but I felt there was no problem knowing what you intended.
For those who wish to build a clean environment, the problem of Windows 10 update, which frequently causes problems, :unsure:may have influenced the concept of previous backups.:unsure:

I

illumination

Thread author
That's because the backup is definitely a standard security set like a lunch menu.
In my book, a back up is a back up, whether it be an image, or external back ups, reformatting ect. I certainly agree that back ups are necessary and certainly the back bone of any security configuration.
For those who wish to build a clean environment, the problem of Windows 10 update, which frequently causes problems, :unsure:may have influenced the concept of previous backups.:unsure:
Problems arise with Windows updates regardless if you reformat cleanly or use images. I tend to find those issues can be generally sorted out properly on a clean install as opposed to dealing with an image that is potentially corrupted. If one spends enough time with images, the will find themselves doing clean installs eventually, so why not do it from the start.

I

illumination

Thread author
@PathFinder: Your config will remain temporally in Caution unless You add an Image System Backup solution to Your system, nothing personal, just section rules :)

Apart from that, secure config, thanks for sharing :)
It is all good, and can remain with a caution tag, as I prefer my method as opposed to using images. I was just curious why some were so adamant about using system images as opposed to manually/custom back up routines. Thank you for your feedback. :)

I

illumination

Thread author
Both: System Image BackUp solution, and in the second priority, backup important data to external devices, are taken into account...
It is interesting how perception can play such a roll in communication. :)

I find backing up personal data to be foremost priority, while system is secondary for me. If all my personal information is backed up and the system crashes ect, I have lost nothing, but time repairing the system, and can also access that externally stored data from any device. This part is well covered. If my system were to become corrupt/unstable, I can then utilize the media creation tool via flash drive to either run repairs or wipe and reformat the machine. It is not as convenient as a image, more time consuming, but in my eyes, is still the correct way to approach maintaining a system. As mentioned above, images can become unstable/corrupted, and then at that point, you have no choice but to reformat, so why not utilize the media creation tool for repairs, and also have on hand in case of necessary formatting.

I

illumination

Thread author
Probably my previous words are not exactly what I was meaning, obviously personal data has 1st priority when backuping...
It was a play on words and why I wrote how perception can play a roll with communication :)

Sure, but inside a full System Back Up image (frequently updated) You have also Your personal data...
I want to ask what criteria are not covered from not using image software and manually either repairing the current installation or reformatting with a portable media creation tool. It seems to me that the system would be covered either way. If I lacked knowledge to repair my installation, or to wipe and reformat, then I would probably utilize images, but this would not be the case and I prefer the method I use. My personal data is backed up very often on separate external devices.

I

illumination

Thread author
Removed: Eset & HMP
Added: Norton Security

While i like both products, i like the Norton & AG combo the best, it has been one of my favorite combos, so i have gone back to it. Since the suite already has NPE integrated there is no need for for further on demands.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.