upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
_102469213_514e6ce6-4153-42e6-bddd-13934de96a28.jpg

PayPal wrote to a woman who had died of cancer saying her death had breached its rules and that it might take legal action as a consequence. The firm has since acknowledged that the letter was "insensitive", apologised to her widower, and begun an inquiry into how it came to be sent. The matter came to light after her bereaved husband contacted the BBC. He said he wanted to make other organisations aware how distressing automated messages could be. Lindsay Durdle died on 31 May aged 37. She had been first diagnosed with breast cancer about a year-and-a-half earlier. The disease had later spread to her lungs and brain. PayPal was informed of Mrs Durdle's death three weeks ago by her husband Howard Durdle. He provided the online payments service with copies of her death certificate, her will and his ID, as requested. He has now received a letter addressed in her name, sent to his home in Bucklebury, West Berkshire. It was headlined: "Important: You should read this notice carefully." It said that Mrs Durdle owed the company about £3,200 and went on to say: "You are in breach of condition 15.4(c) of your agreement with PayPal Credit as we have received notice that you are deceased... this breach is not capable of remedy."

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
I saw this earlier today and i think the word that PP have used "insensitive" is quite far off the mark :mad:

They should have a dedicated Bereavement Services Team like many other big institutes have. These people are trained in this aspect and can guide the bereaved through the necessary steps that are involved in dealing with things, especially financial, which are in themselves very difficult to do but more so when you are grieving.

Having said all that and i am not sticking up for PP or condoning their communication tactics but if the lady who passed away has left any estate and there is a will then it is up to the executor of that will (most likely her husband) to pay monies owed by her to any companies or organisations that she owed money to. A lot of people wrongly assume that if you have a debt and you pass away then that debt dies with you ..... it doesn't sadly and at a time when the people left behind have so much more going on, they also have to deal with that, i do think that there should be more understanding from organisations around this issue and have a period of grace before sending out letters and at least get them written in a way that is much more sympathetic and non threatening.

Just my view, can you tell it hit a bit of a raw nerve with me, lol.

I

illumination

This is what most of the world is coming to, automation and no personal assistance.

This said, automated response are programmed, and one would think this would be monitored and quality control applied to avoid issues such as this.

D

Deleted member 178

Devils' (insensitive) advocate ON :

"She had been first diagnosed with breast cancer about a year-and-a-half earlier. "
you had time to pay your debt, your fault.

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Devils' (insensitive) advocate ON :

"She had been first diagnosed with breast cancer about a year-and-a-half earlier. "
you had time to pay your debt, your fault.
What has the debt got to do with anything?
It's the fact PP wrote to his wife even though her husband had previously told them she was dead. The letter should have been addressed to the husband.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.