Apr 2, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
PC crashes when I turn on Intel Virtualization through BIOS
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
None
Maximus VII Hero Z97
I7 4790k
32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM
When I turn on Intel Virtualization through the BIOS, I get BSOD after the BIOS POST and begin to boot into the Windows.
20181210_191650.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Maximus VII Hero Z97
I7 4790k
32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM
When I turn on Intel Virtualization through the BIOS, I get BSOD after the BIOS POST and begin to boot into the Windows.
View attachment 203199

You have to send the memory dump to Intel. Someone with the symbol files needs to analyse the memory dump to determine the cause. No one here can tell you with the infos you provided.

There is a utility out there that purportedly identifies the cause, but it is not foolproof; it can identify the wrong thing. The memory dump must be analyzed manually.

Get support from Intel and ask them how and to whom you need to submit this issue.

Upvote 0

No crashes with Intel VT disable, but my PC can't boot into Windows with Intel VT enable.

If you have Shadow Defender installed... guess what ? You have to uninstall it if you want to use Intel VT.

You could also submit the memory dump to Tony = the developer of Shadow Defender. You have to get with sdmod over at Wilders to facilitate submitting the memory dump to Tony.

Reactions: Vasudev
Upvote 0

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hello

I am new to VM stuff. How can I check that and disable it? Is the Hyper-V interferes Intel Virtualization? Is that why I am getting BSOD?

I am using Windows 10 64 bit Home.

Me too. Just starting to explore VirtualBox.

Apparently Win 10 Home does NOT support Hyper-V

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-possible-to-create-a-VM-with-VirtualBox-with-Windows-10-Home-edition

In one of the replies

It is possible to create virtual machines in windows 10 home, device security needs to be turned off. To do so…
go to device security -> core isolation, click on core isolation details, then turn off memory integrity. The system needs to be restarted for new configuration to take effect. After that one can run virtual machines.

After that try enabling Intel Virtualisation in the BIOS again and see whether it helps. You need to enable both VT-x and VT-d

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-possible-to-create-a-VM-with-VirtualBox-with-Windows-10-Home-edition

In one of the replies

After that try enabling Intel Virtualisation in the BIOS again and see whether it helps. You need to enable both VT-x and VT-d

I don't see no Core Isolation at all. I can't boot into Windows with Intel VT enable.
Screenshot_6.jpg

Also don't use a VM, I had incompatibility issues with virtual box in the past.

Maybe the problems you had in the past are already fixed. I just want to try out VM, but I can't boot into Windows with Intel VT enable.

What the hell is going on. I can't create VM on my rig?!

Update: I enable my PC to boot into Safe Mode every time I turn on my PC then I boot into BIOS to turn on Intel VT then reboot, and wallah I can boot into Safe Mode fine with Intel VT enable. So what is going on with my Windows normal mode?

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasudev
Upvote 0

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@SumTingWong

You posted here?

PC crashes when I turn on Intel Virtualization through the BIOS

See whether you can get some help from the answers here

Enabling Virtualization and Hyper-v freezes my laptop

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...alization-Technology-crashes-System-Bios-3101

Or you would like to try my method as tipped by @shmu26 i.e. install AMIDUOS and hopefully it auto-enables the Intel Virtualisation features. But try at your own risk.

Q&A - VirtualBox only showing 32 bit guest versions on my 64 bit host OS?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014

In one of the replies

I don't think VMware and Oracle enable VTx by default and must be enabled manually.
I don't see no Core Isolation at all. I can't boot into Windows with Intel VT enable. View attachment 203207

Maybe the problems you had in the past are already fixed. I just want to try out VM, but I can't boot into Windows with Intel VT enable.

What the hell is going on. I can't create VM on my rig?!

Update: I enable my PC to boot into Safe Mode every time I turn on my PC then I boot into BIOS to turn on Intel VT then reboot, and wallah I can boot into Safe Mode fine with Intel VT enable. So what is going on with my Windows normal mode?
Check for updated BIOS and apply it through EZ Flash. Make sure you reset BIOS to defaults after BIOS update.
Can you post a screenshot of Advanced Section in your BIOS?
i Think SGX is causing your issue and in the mean time remove the RAM sticks and rub it with an eraser and keep it aside for 2 mins and then insert it.

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Disable Shadow Defender
I don't think VMware and Oracle enable VTx by default and must be enabled manually.

Check for updated BIOS and apply it through EZ Flash. Make sure you reset BIOS to defaults after BIOS update.
Can you post a screenshot of Advanced Section in your BIOS?
i Think SGX is causing your issue and in the mean time remove the RAM sticks and rub it with an eraser and keep it aside for 2 mins and then insert it.
@SumTingWong

You posted here?

PC crashes when I turn on Intel Virtualization through the BIOS

See whether you can get some help from the answers here

Enabling Virtualization and Hyper-v freezes my laptop

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...alization-Technology-crashes-System-Bios-3101

Or you would like to try my method as tipped by @shmu26 i.e. install AMIDUOS and hopefully it auto-enables the Intel Virtualisation features. But try at your own risk.

Q&A - VirtualBox only showing 32 bit guest versions on my 64 bit host OS?

Update 2: Apparently, Memory Intergrity is the culprit causes my PC to crash when I turn on Intel VT in the BIOS. I have to go to the regedit to turn off Memory Intergrity.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard\Scenarios\HypervisorEnforcedCodeIntegrity

Enabled DWORD to 0 ( Turn On or Off Core Isolation Memory Integrity in Windows 10)
Screenshot_7.jpg

Is there any security risks for malware testing with Memory Intergrity turn off? I believe this setting should have no effect if I only testing software, but I am not sure about malware testing. @Umbra

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Update 2: Apparently, Memory Intergrity is the culprit causes my PC to crash when I turn on Intel VT in the BIOS. I have to go to the regedit to turn off Memory Intergrity.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard\Scenarios\HypervisorEnforcedCodeIntegrity

Enabled DWORD to 0 ( Turn On or Off Core Isolation Memory Integrity in Windows 10)
View attachment 203277

Is there any security risks for malware testing with Memory Intergrity turn off? I believe this setting should have no effect if I only testing software, but I am not sure about malware testing. @Umbra
You can stop VMware DHCP,USB and NAT driver service so that you minimize the risk of malware passing onto your USB devices or your HDDs which show up as removable devices.

Reactions: SumTingWong
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.