Guide | How To PC stuck and cannot exit Safe Mode in Windows 10/8/7

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
This post will help you if you find that your PC is stuck in the Safe Mode and you simply cannot exit Safe Mode in Windows 10/8/7. We often boot in Safe Mode if we need to diagnose or troubleshoot Windows problems, since when you start Windows in Safe Mode, the operating system only loads those minimum set of Drivers, files, and applications that are required for it to load.

But what if you find that you are unable to get out of Safe Mode and every time you restart your computer, you are back in Safe Mode!? can be pretty stressful! So let us see how to get out of or exit Windows Safe Mode.

Cannot exit Safe Mode in Windows
PC_stuck_cannot_exit_Safe_Mode.jpg

1] When in Safe Mode, press the Win+R key to open the Run box. Type msconfig and hit Enter to open the System Configuration Utility.

Under the General tab, ensure that Normal startup is selected. Next under the Boot tab, make sure that the Safe Bootoption, under Boot options, is unchecked.

Click on Apply/OK and restart your computer.

This should help you!

2] If it does not, then do the following.

While in Safe Mode, press the Win+R key to open the Run box. Type cmd and – wait – press Ctrl+Shift and then hit Enter. This will open an elevated Command Prompt.

You will now have to use the BCDEdit /deletevalue command.
The BCDEdit /deletevalue command deletes or removes a boot entry option (and its value) from the Windows boot configuration data store (BCD). You can use the BCDEdit /deletevalue command to remove options that were added using BCDEdit /set command.

So in the elevated command prompt, type the following and hit Enter:
Code:
bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot

Now restart your computer and see if you have booted in Normal Mode.
Hope this tutorial helps you get out of Safe Mode.
Thanks to TheWindowsClub

ravi prakash saini

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 22, 2015
I have once run into this issue.I do not know the technical reason behind it but i inserted the bootable linux pen drive >boot into linux >shutdown >remove the pendrive>boot into windows> problem gone.
I wish you could have made this post earlier

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.