On Sale! pcloud 500GB lifetime storage $49

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee that all promo codes will remain active. Some offers have a short validation period and expire.

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Interesting- who knows what happens to your data ? Thats why I am suspicious of Google in particular.
I'd never put anything really really confidential in the cloud if I could help it.
Pcloud allow users to share their folders by creating "public links"- it works like a website address. I think some users have uploaded copyrighted films and music and then shared them through links which they post on messageboards. Maybe that is what pcloud were accusing that user of ?
They look like a pretty legitimate company to be fair.

Cloud storage companies are nervous after the megaupload founders were prosecuted by the USA and now face deportation and imprisonment as a result. They were blatantly hosting and publically distributing pirated material. Dropbox and similar providers now need to put some sort of measures in place to stop this happening.

I've always said- I don't mind governments looking at my data (they would find it very boring) its the criminals that I am more worried about.

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Only me thinking that 500GB lifetime*10000 users cost much money? About security two ways: make your Owncloud or use encryption, I found Android application Cryptomator good.

I will look for this cloud service reviews before buy it, this way I see if it's ok.

Reactions: LASER_oneXM

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Last year i purchased this cloud/offer (500 GB) and i must say its working fine. The pCloud-client also installs a drive
letter for your cloud (drive letter 'P'). After the installation has finished you can access your cloud via the drive letter 'P' using
(any) file manager (e.g. the windows explorer). Its a quite good feature because with this feature you are able to use file synchronisation tools (like the popular tool 'Free File Sync') to synchronize files between your local drives/local folders and pCloud.

CoherentCrayon

Level 4
Verified
Jun 23, 2017
The deal looks a bit too good to be true IMO. I mean, what if you store all your photos there and then they suddenly go bankrupt and have to close the service (the price is very cheap for 500 GB lifetime).

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Yes they could potentially disappear in the future- who knows ? They apparently have 7 million users though, so quite a big customer base.

I have been extremely pleased with pcloud since using their service- the software works really smoothly. The free option gives you 10GB as standard, so thats quite a good way to try it out.

I understand that all data is encrypted on the server - just the same as it is on Dropbox or similar services.. The Crypto option provides an extra layer of security by encrypting your data before it leaves your machine. Its not an essential feature, but it makes pcloud different from most other cloud storage companies.

However, I think its a shame that you have to pay extra for crypto (especially as third party applications such as VeraCrypt will do the same thing anyway). Pcloud is still good though.

CoherentCrayon

Level 4
Verified
Jun 23, 2017
Yes they could potentially disappear in the future- who knows ? They apparently have 7 million users though, so quite a big customer base.

I have been extremely pleased with pcloud since using their service- the software works really smoothly. The free option gives you 10GB as standard, so thats quite a good way to try it out.

I understand that all data is encrypted on the server - just the same as it is on Dropbox or similar services.. The Crypto option provides an extra layer of security by encrypting your data before it leaves your machine. Its not an essential feature, but it makes pcloud different from most other cloud storage companies.

However, I think its a shame that you have to pay extra for crypto (especially as third party applications such as VeraCrypt will do the same thing anyway). Pcloud is still good though.
Yep, I haven't tried it so I can't say anything about the quality, but the lifetime deal seemed a little bit too good to be true IMO.

/steel9

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Hi, Im interested to purchase this license too.
But im concerned over the documents (in pdf). I like to keep pdf books/document for reading leisure.
Would the link below regarding Dropbox have same issue for pcloud too? Im not into sharing, but if I'm to keep it there, will my acc be terminated?
What happens when you share copyrighted stuff on Dropbox

I guess you could try their free service which still gives 10GB of storage and works very well in my opinion. Upload your copyrighted books on there first and see what happens !

Another option is to password encrypt them using 7zip before uploading to pcloud. I discovered that you can unencyrpt them in the cloud when you want to read them- the pcloud web application lets you enter your 7zip password.

The deal I originally posted has now expired but you could always email pcloud and ask if they have any new deals (thats how I found out about the deal in the first place). They are bound to have other deals in the future like this- black friday or whatever.

Really pleased with it.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Copyrighted books....hmmm I don't know if this would be 'legal' to upload to the cloud. Personal use maybe!..Still, don't think that would be a great idea. I'd store it on DVD media with proof of purchase or how you originally received the books if possible.

Reactions: dinosaur07

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Copyrighted books....hmmm I don't know if this would be 'legal' to upload to the cloud. Personal use maybe!..Still, don't think that would be a great idea. I'd store it on DVD media with proof of purchase or how you originally received the books if possible.

Well I'm into personal use. Not for sharing purposes for sure. I think if I were to place inside, it would take up half of the space roughly 250GB.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.