PEllis' Security for Windows PC

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I would consider using AVAST Free or even Windows Defender over Ashampoo AV.
I might replace Malware Hunter with a couple other on demand scanners such as Zemana Antimalware,Emsisoft Emergency Kit,ESET Online Scanner,Hitman Pro or Malwarebytes Antimalware.
I would consider CCleaner or Privazer in place of Ashampo Winoptimizer as either of these two programs are more than enough.
Nevertheless you config seems to be working.Thanks for sharing your config :)

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
I'm not sure. I know there was an issue with the real-time protection from a review I saw (malware would still be running on the system despite the being blocked).
I have tested Ashampoo AV 2014 and 2015, and the main problem was the random freezing of the application and you temporarily solved via machine reboot but I think they fixed that.

P

PEllis

Thread author
I would consider using AVAST Free or even Windows Defender over Ashampoo AV.
I might replace Malware Hunter with a couple other on demand scanners such as Zemana Antimalware,Emsisoft Emergency Kit,ESET Online Scanner,Hitman Pro or Malwarebytes Antimalware.
I would consider CCleaner or Privazer in place of Ashampo Winoptimizer as either of these two programs are more than enough.
Nevertheless you config seems to be working.Thanks for sharing your config :)
Why Windows Defender over Ashampoo Anti-Virus?

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Because in Windows 10 with UAC,SmartScreen,Windows Firewall & Windows Defender enabled provides just as good protection as running Ashampoo AV. As well as running Windows 10 built in security is a much lighter option.
Just IMO there are better options,some free and definitely some paid, than Ashampoo AV but like i said if it is working for you and you feel comfortable with it then stay with what you have.

P

PEllis

Thread author
Because in Windows 10 with UAC,SmartScreen,Windows Firewall & Windows Defender enabled provides just as good protection as running Ashampoo AV. As well as running Windows 10 built in security is a much lighter option.
Just IMO there are better options,some free and definitely some paid, than Ashampoo AV but like i said if it is working for you and you feel comfortable with it then stay with what you have.
Thanks for the suggestions, but I will leave my configuration the way it is, for now.

P

PEllis

Thread author
Added: HTTPS Everywhere, Disconnect, Popup Blocker Pro

Removed: Avira Browser Safety

Edit: replaced uBlock Origin with Adblock Plus due to uBlock conflicting with my other extensions

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sr. Normal 2.0

Thread author
Hi @PEllis :)

Let me recommend you a change. I have been a user of Ocset Backup Pro (now known as Ashampoo Backup Pro) and I have tried it again to see if there is any change.

The truth is that Aomei Backupper or Macrium Reflect (both free) works better. Why do I suggest this change? Because backups are faster, take up less space, disaster recovery is excellent in both cases. It is true that I like to use ashampoo to use a backup as a virtual drive so you can access your information comfortably, but it seems worse product.

If you want a payment program, excellent and very reliable, for free, here is a giveaway of Paragon Hard Disk Manager 15 - Backup and Recovery ™ Compact ;) I use it and it save me of myself :oops: in some occasions

P

PEllis

Thread author
Hi @PEllis :)

Let me recommend you a change. I have been a user of Ocset Backup Pro (now known as Ashampoo Backup Pro) and I have tried it again to see if there is any change.

The truth is that Aomei Backupper or Macrium Reflect (both free) works better. Why do I suggest this change? Because backups are faster, take up less space, disaster recovery is excellent in both cases. It is true that I like to use ashampoo to use a backup as a virtual drive so you can access your information comfortably, but it seems worse product.

If you want a payment program, excellent and very reliable, for free, here is a giveaway of Paragon Hard Disk Manager 15 - Backup and Recovery ™ Compact ;) I use it and it save me of myself :oops: in some occasions
Thanks, but I already paid for Ashampoo Backup Pro and it is a lifetime license.

P

PEllis

Thread author
Updated. Now running Windows 8.1. My license for Ashampoo Backup Pro 10 is invalid so I'm currently deciding on another backup solution.

vinylmeister

Level 2
Verified
Jan 29, 2015
Thanks for sharing. I would recommend a small change.

Throw away Adblock Plus and Disconnect and replace it with ublock origin (you can activate basic tracking list by disconnect in privacy settings)

Reactions: Sr. Normal 2.0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.