Personal and Social information of 1.2 billion people Discovered in Massive Data Leak

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Data Enrichment, People Data Labs and Another 622M Email Addresses:

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
Just got mail from https://haveibeenpwned.com/ :

Unfortunately it's not clear what leaked... 🤔
Seeing a rise in spam messages received, my personal e-mailadres, but anything else?
If you read Troy Hunt's blog post, he explains how you can request a copy of your data so you know what info they have on you and how to request it be deleted. The latter isn't very helpful seeing as the data they have has already been leaked, but it's still not a bad idea to get it off them. You could also speak to your countries data protection office if you're concerned about how they obtained your info, and of course the fact that it has been leaked due to a lack of security.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
If you read Troy Hunt's blog post, he explains how you can request a copy of your data so you know what info they have on you and how to request it be deleted. The latter isn't very helpful seeing as the data they have has already been leaked, but it's still not a bad idea to get it off them. You could also speak to your countries data protection office if you're concerned about how they obtained your info, and of course the fact that it has been leaked due to a lack of security.
Thanks for reading better than me. I will look into that tomorrow. (y)

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I've only ever used real data on Linkedin, and that was just to get a new position, then the data was immediately wiped.

My lack of trust for all of these companies, and online in general has served me well again.

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
I recently used this app to check my privacy settings and content on Facebook and Google. Works good. I was a little concerned at first (because you have to allow it access to your login credentials), but took the dive and it scanned through all of my current settings and checked to make sure everything was set in the most private manner.

My google settings were fine (because I've already went through manually and checked everything). But with Facebook, it found many issues that I allowed Jumbo to resolve.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Okay, got a reply from them:
Thank you for contacting us to opt-out of the database. We have deleted you profile from the database. In addition, as requested you can find your profile attached.

{'status': 404, 'error': {'type': 'not_found', 'message': 'No records were found matching your request'}}

Best,
PDL Privacy Team
So there was no profile :unsure:
Why then was I notified by Have I Been Pwned?
They just had my e-mailadres ?

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.