Pirate needs to make 200k Youtube views to avoid his fines

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
This is not for anyone to support piracy, but as an example set for the future. Don't think for a second you can get away with it by making Youtube videos, this is an isolated incident.

A Czech man found guilty of pirating various pieces of software faced upwards of half a million dollars in fines from the court. After Microsoft, 20th Century Fox, and Sony Music demanded compensation for his sharing. However, since he couldn't pay it, the courts came up with a novel solution: make him star in an anti-piracy public service video, with a mandatory minimum hit count. If it breaks 200K, he's off the hook.

Although he may not admit too all of it, Jakub F was accused by the British Software Alliance of distributing links to copies of Microsoft Windows, and various forms of movie and music media over many years, aiding in the sharing of various copyright protected content. For that he found guilty and was given a large find like many pirates have before him. Instead of forcing him into bankruptcy though, the court took a different tack.

Jakub finds himself starring in his very own anti-piracy video called(in Czech) " The Story of My Piracy." If he can garner enough viewer for it, he will avoid having to pay a fine for his actions.
“I had to start this site because for eight years I spread pirated software and then they caught me. I thought that I wasn’t doing anything wrong. I thought that it didn’t hurt the big companies. I didn’t even do it for the money, I did it for fun, I felt in the warez community that I meant something. I was convinced that I was too small a fish for someone to get to me. But eventually, they got me. Even for me, the investigators came to work. If I promote my story and my video gets at least 200 thousand views, I will only serve the general part of my sentence, In the video I play myself and this is really my story. I shot the video with a professional firm. Sharing is how this started and sharing is how I would like my story to end up.”
-Jakub .
What i did not get from the story is a dead line. I mean he probably will reach 200k eventually, i found it rather odd there's no dead line to this judgment. And save yourself from this situation! Just purchase the damn software and call it a day rather than went through all this painful! Do yourself a favor, just purchase the damn license for the software and call it a day.

H

hjlbx

My man will become YouTube No. 1 Anti-Piracy advocate super-star... Microsoft, SONY, etc will then hire him and he will be paid millions of $s for it...

Reactions: Hangtooth
D

Deleted member 178

the guy is the British Software Alliance's employee; he never pirated anything , except his boat toy while in the bathroom ! disinformation & manipulation of the masses is true power !

what? No sense of Humor?

:D

Reactions: scot

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
sense of humor??? errr no comments, any way we are sad that there are policies around the world that do harm these kind of people, i said we are sorry because here in central america you can do pretty much everything... without any consequenses... i can tell that is rare the person who have all the software installed in his/her pc with a legal or valid licenses (yeahh we love cracks XD)

wait? no sense of humor???

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
So in today's practical life, if you will caught on using/selling/sharing counterfeit software then they will just put as an instrument to the internet?

Now that's we called insane cause viral video concept can really work in such less than 24 hours.

L

LabZero

Well, a digital "deposit".
I do not tolerate piracy. Originally it was a consequence of the absurd pretensions of those who wanted too. Later for some has become a philosophy and for many guys, is now a "fashion", dangerous fashion.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.