Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
A play with the title,
Piriform kidnapped: Avast Forcing CCleaner to Recommend Avast Free Antivirus
> CCleaner Forced by Avast to Push their Antivirus
> CCleaner introduces deceptive methods to get users to install Avast

Saw this originally on

Went ahead and downloaded CCleaner (standard installer). Nothing new.

London-based Piriform is owned by Avast, yet, they are masquerading around with shady marketing to get Avast installed on as many PCs.

It reads:

Want to add security to your installation?
CCleaner recommend Avast Free Antivirus
[x] Yes, install Avast Free Antivirus

"Add security" is misleading. I thought it would reinforce the integrity of my CCleaner installation and prevent their previous network incident.
"CCleaner recommends" No it doesn't. You are pushing yourself with shady marketing techniques.
"Yes, install..". The checkbox is already marked for installation. Users of CCleaner don't get the choice.

Unless you read the License Agreement, most users won't know about Avast Company owning CCleaner.

1525199709241.png

"An Avast Company" should be badged all over the Piriform & CCleaner website, and software installers.

1525200600421.png

If you have read this far, then you must know that CCleaner for Android has also been ruined. It's a carbon-copy of Avast Cleanup and Boost of Android.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Anything Avast touches turns to crap. Remember, Avast first and foremost, is an analytics firm. Period. Anything they do has the primary goal of driving their Jumpshot Analytics to which they utilize to make money from YOUR activities.

Using it, you basically are agreeing to have your data harvested and it's a busy little bee.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I think that the evaluation of software changes not only depending on whether it is good or bad, but also depending on the way of distribution. I think that there is no problem with the function of the C cleaner itself, but my impression has become a software bundling "an unwelcome favors"

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Doesn't bother me much. However I've never been a fan of large cyberworld companies acquiring smaller companies, especially because they often kill the products they acquired, like Symantec did with PC Tools, Sophos with Hitman Kickstart, etc., etc.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Like many on MT here anticipated when they first bought Piriform, they are now starting to use Ccleaner as an advertising platform. It has been a clean, effective and highly respected among the IT community for years.Now thanks to Avast it's starting to turn into crap.

Simple, give a free version, and a paid one with advanced features. No need to bundle it with crap and destroy the product.(n)

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
The portable ccleaner doesn't offer these things at here, im breathing very calm without these ads using latest piri-CC. I can imagine that you are refering to them about adware on its common executables installers, but if avast is its host company right now. What is the question then?

Reactions: lowdetection
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.