Pixel 3 & 3 XL owners will receive 3 years of Android/Security support (October 2021)

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I really thought Pixel 3 would've 2-3 year warranty like Pixel 2 series considering increased costs.

Reactions: Weebarra

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
But 3 years of security updates with full customization and ability to use custom AOSP souce rom and also getting Gplay security scanning and protection even on custom ROM is a plus point.
I don't want all the hassle to flash custom roms and keeping up with all the tweakings though.

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
I don't want all the hassle to flash custom roms and keeping up with all the tweakings though.

I agree. Waste of time.

With Verizon, if you were planning on getting the Pixel 3 XL, you might as well jump up $70 to the iPhone XS. At least you would get the 5 years of iOS/security updates. Get more out of your money. Granted the battery lives that long. I am not much for the Android vs Apple debate. Currently own the Note 8 and regret it to this day. Apple seems like the better approach seeing that Android Flagships are climbing to the same price.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I agree. Waste of time.

With Verizon, if you were planning on getting the Pixel 3 XL, you might as well jump up INR 5 160 to the iPhone XS. At least you would get the 5 years of iOS/security updates. Get more out of your money. Granted the battery lives that long. I am not much for the Android vs Apple debate. Currently own the Note 8 and regret it to this day. Apple seems like the better approach seeing that Android Flagships are climbing to the same price.
If you're in US, then getting a carrier locked phone and changing the phone during the contract sounds very good. With iOS no bloatwares at all.
I live in India, so there's no carrier locked phone. Standard or base version costs 1500$ and will go up to 1800-2000$ for highest spec model incl. taxes/VAT.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I see where they are coming from, as they need to upgrade phones in the future, but only 3 years worth of updates. The newer generation wouldn't really be fazed by this, but the older generation where they don't upgrade phones for 5 years plus

Reactions: Vasudev

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
The newer generation wouldn't really be fazed by this, but the older generation where they don't upgrade phones for 5 years plus
I agree with latter sentence. I always have the devices for longer. I hate to buy new phones.

Reactions: McLovin

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.