Pixel 3a - "Return of 3.5mm headphone jack?"

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Google’s website has seemingly confirmed the name of a new product — in this case, the long-rumored upcoming “lite” version of the company’s Pixel 3. It looks like the new phone will officially be called the “Pixel 3a,” according to screenshots we just captured of this Google Store page:

google_pixel_3a.jpg

[..] Earlier today, a Redditor unearthed a trove of data from Google’s own Play Console featuring practically the entire spec sheets of the two new phones, codenamed “bonito” and “sargo.” They’re expected to come in 5.6-inch and 6.0-inch sizes, with 1080p OLED displays, Snapdragon 670 processors, 12-megapixel rear cameras — and possibly the return of the 3.5mm headphone jack in at least one of the two phones, according to photos that leaked at Russian tech blog Rozetked last November. The name “Pixel 3a XL” previously appeared in Android Q’s beta code, as spotted by XDA-developers.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I prefer if phones have headphone jacks. But, I only use headphones a few times a year. I prefer to use my phone's speaker.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Get rid 3.5mm headphone jack is stupid for me.
If they're not providing high quality DACs like LGs then its better to use USB C Audio which does provide atleast 24bit @96Hz versus high quality DACs at 32bit/384Hz (massive hardware upgrades even my PCs barely keep up with them.)

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
If they're not providing high quality DACs like LGs then its better to use USB C Audio which does provide atleast 24bit @96Hz versus high quality DACs at 32bit/384Hz (massive hardware upgrades even my PCs barely keep up with them.)

The reason to get rid 3.5mm headphone jack is to push the dongle sale. I am sorry but no way in heck I am going to purchase phone without 3.5mm headphone jack. I ain't going to buy another cable to hook up my 3.5mm headphones. Wired > bluetooth. Bluetooth drains your battery.

I am anti-dongle. I am not playing with Apple's dongle sales push.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
The reason to get rid 3.5mm headphone jack is to push the dongle sale. I am sorry but no way in heck I am going to purchase phone without 3.5mm headphone jack. I ain't going to buy another cable to hook up my 3.5mm headphones. Wired > bluetooth. Bluetooth drains your battery.

I am anti-dongle. I am not playing with Apple's dongle sales push.
Ok, but you can use non-dongle-less USB C headphones which doesn't need dongles. BT Audio consumes too much battery than wired and has lot of interferences if you carry along a MiFi router in your bag disrupting the signal and its quality.
On Phones I'm okay with USBC headphones but on PCs I use only 3.5mm audio for max quality. Nothing compares to old school 3.5mm jack of all trades.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Get rid 3.5mm headphone jack is stupid for me.
You mean you cannot figure out how to connect Bluetooth devices?

"Apple's dongle sales push". LOL.

Lots of manufacturers no longer include a 3.5mm jack, some do.

Removing the 3.5mm headphone jack allowed manufacturers to push sales for Wireless earbuds/headphones technology, where they sell for $100+. A USB-C to 3.5mm adapter can be picked for $5 to $20, or may be included in the box.

You may not have noticed pre-ordering smartphones come with a bonus Free Bluetooth Speaker or Wireless Earbuds/Headphones. Take a guess.

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I may be in the minority, but I still prefer wired buds/headphones and have plenty decent sets around with 3.5mm jacks. I would be happy if they came back, even though I know they won’t.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
@blackice

At least mine did, assuming I have not lost it.
Edit: Found it.

Actually, I typed that while using the dongle. :ROFLMAO: My problem is I have different headphones in different location (like a set in my office), and different devices I switch between. I don’t like carrying them around with me while my phone is in my pocket. I’ve adapted to using the dongle when I need, but would definitely be happy if I didn’t. It’s really not a big deal, but a minor gripe. I moved on to a newer iPhone and have been fine.

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Ok, but you can use non-dongle-less USB C headphones which doesn't need dongles. BT Audio consumes too much battery than wired and has lot of interferences if you carry along a MiFi router in your bag disrupting the signal and its quality.
On Phones I'm okay with USBC headphones but on PCs I use only 3.5mm audio for max quality. Nothing compares to old school 3.5mm jack of all trades.

You need a dongle with 3.5mm to use 3.5mm headphones.

"Apple's dongle sales push". LOL.

Removing the 3.5mm headphone jack allowed manufacturers to push sales for Wireless earbuds/headphones technology, where they sell for $100+. A USB-C to 3.5mm adapter can be picked for $5 to $20, or may be included in the box.

You may not have noticed pre-ordering smartphones come with a bonus Free Bluetooth Speaker or Wireless Earbuds/Headphones. Take a guess.

Bluetooth headphones consume a lot of battery and interference. Wired > Bluetooth.

So you are okay with manufacturers don't put 3.5mm headphone jack to push wireless headphone sale even though they left you no option at all? Plus, if you want to use your favorite 3.5mm headphones, you have to get a dongle? This has to be a joke that you need to spend another $$$ to use your 3.5mm headphones.

" Oh look, my brand new phone has no 3.5mm headphone jack, and now I need to buy this stupid ass dongle to use my 3.5mm headphones. What a great idea to earn some $$$ on another cable to plug in your phone to use 3.5mm headphones. Well, if I lose my dongle, I cannot use my 3.5mm headphones than. Thank you and giant middle finger to the my phone manufacturer for pushing dongle and wireless headphone sales"

You may not have noticed pre-ordering smartphones come with a bonus Free Bluetooth Speaker or Wireless Earbuds/Headphones. Take a guess

They are not getting my money and support than. 3.5mm headphone jack is important to me and it is a stupid move to push wireless headphone and dongle sale. First, they remove removal battery feature and now 3.5mm headphone jack......
I think next they will remove the SIM card slot to remove " Unlockable phones".

All follow Apple footsteps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasudev and roger_m
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Best way to disable spying is to insert a disabler pin into the 3.5mm jack. I assume that's part of the reason why some firms remove them.

Realistically, I have no interest in owning a phone without the 3.5mm jack. Everyone in the home uses it way too much. Anyone phone without one built in is an instant-skip for us.

• Applause
Reactions: Handsome Recluse

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I prefer my devices to have 3.5mm jack right now but I am fine with usb c in the future when I buy more devices with usb c port. This maybe issue for frequent travellers since they can't listen to music and charge via external battery at the same time because only one port but I'm fine since I don't travel much. Bluetooth headphones, won't use them since you can get better quality wired headphones at the same price point and you also don't have to charge them.

Reactions: CyberTech

yarr

Level 2
Verified
Jul 5, 2018
Best way to disable spying is to insert a disabler pin into the 3.5mm jack. I assume that's part of the reason why some firms remove them.

Realistically, I have no interest in owning a phone without the 3.5mm jack. Everyone in the home uses it way too much. Anyone phone without one built in is an instant-skip for us.
Don't they sell the adapter for like 5 bucks though? I may be mistaken abbut that but it is a great phone. I'd trade in my S9 if at&t had them

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.