For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 10
Other operating system
Also runs Windows 11 Insiders beta on a sep. drive
On-device encryption
N/A
Log-in security
    • Biometrics (Windows Hello PIN, TouchID, Face, Iris, Fingerprint)
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
Update channels
Allow stable updates only
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Smart App Control
Off
Network firewall
Enabled
About WiFi router
Ethernet (cable)
Password-protected via ISP website
Arris modem | ISP-supplied router {proprietary)
Real-time security
Microsoft Defender
CyberLock (aka VoodooShield) both drives
H_C FirewallHardening
Sandboxie Plus w/cert. for security hardening
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
H_C FirewallHardening Rules
Winaero Tweaker telemetry block rules
Custom app block rules
Periodic malware scanners
AdwCleaner
Norton Power Eraser
RogueKiller (rarely)
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
n/a
Browser(s) and extensions
Brave browser
Firefox Quantum--default
ext: uBlock Origin | Skip Redirect |var. ext for webP conversion o/d
Search: DuckDuckGo
Secure DNS
NextDNS for Firefox
Cloudflare everywhere else
Desktop VPN
none
Password manager
21 random-character passwords generated via 1Password and stored on Notepad offline
2FA for utilities, MFA for banking in Sandboxie
Maintenance tools
HiBit Uninstaller
Windows inbuilt Maintenance weekly
various command-lines via Admin. cmd
RivaTuner Statistics Server/HWiNFO64 (cap frame rate, in-game temps)
File and Photo backup
Periodic manual backup to externally enclosed HDD
HDD is checked for bad blocks
Some data in OneDrive
Hasleo Backup Suite for Windows 11 drive
System recovery
Aomei Backupper--static image on 64GB flash drive Windows 10
Hasleo Backup Suite for Windows 11
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Gaming
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
i9 9900 @3.1 GHz | ASUS Prime Z390-A | ASUS/NVIDIA rtx 4070 12 GB | Samsung 980 Pro nvm-e 1 TB | GSkill 2x16 GB memory @ 3200 mHz | Razer Huntsman mini keyboard w/optical switches (the cutest thing!) | Logitech G300 wired mouse | be quiet! Shadow Wings II case fans | EVGA Supernova G2 Gold 650 watts | Fractal Design Meshify C in black/black tempered glass | Creative Labs Gigaworks T40 speakers
InfinityBench A- | Unigine Superposition 9612 | Passmark 9732 | Time Spy 15,138
Time and new tech will wear away these scores before u know it. :eek:
Additional Samsung 980 Pro 500 GB drive for Windows 11
Western Digital Blue hdd 1 terabyte for external storage @7200 rpm
Notable changes
01/23/2023: Switched to random passwords via 1Password due to 2 pwned ones recently
04/29/2023: Installed new ASUS rtx 4070. The gtx 1080 will be kept as a spare in case of issues.
05/15/2023: Enabled "Hardware-acclerated gpu scheduling" in Windows settings. The cpu won't have to work so hard anymore (supposedly)
05/16/2023: Disabled above setting. Minute general slowdown.
06/25/2023: Upgraded boot drive--switched prev. drive to Windows 11
06/25/2023: Switched CyberLock to my Windows 10 drive. OSA will remain on the Windows 11 one.
7/10/2023--demoing Floorp browser, very encouraging so far.
09/06/2023: Installed Hasleo Backup Suite for Windows 11 following a bad update. The image is stored on ext. HDD and was tested 1 time.
9/13/2023: deleted NVT OS Armor and replaced w/CyberLock.W11 drive.
11/01/2023: switched from FloorP to Brave to circumvent the YouTube anti-adblocker banner. Brave is now secondary broswer.
11/17.2023: installed Creative Labs Gigaworks T40 speakers. :D
What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

plat

Level 29
Thread author
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Well, it turns out my Samsung 980 Pro MVM-e was more corrupted than originally thought--I'd rolled back to Windows 10 a while back as 1 GB of disk space was disappearing daily over a week's time and I couldn't find any of it. Then, earlier tonight, Windows 11 wouldn't install, not via the desktop nor with USB. It would restart as if to install but the next thing you know, it's back on the Windows 10 desktop without any error message or anything. After trying repeatedly, I finally installed my backup drive--a 970 EVO Plus (250 GB), Windows 11 popped up in Updates immediately and it went thru fine.

I think a partition was corrupted but you'd think trying to reformat with the USB would work. It did not. I will have to discard my 980 Pro--it's no use to try to reformat or anything; it will never be trustworthy. It had 3 firmware revisions--maybe that contributed, I don't know.

Think I'll get the 980 (non pro) @ 500 GB. This 970 EVO is great but it's a little small.

plat

Level 29
Thread author
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Did you try whether Samsung Disk Magician health status gave any clues?

Oh yes. Checked the health and for bad blocks. 99% health via HWiNFO and Crystal Disk Info and 0 disk errors via Magician. A corrupted recovery partition, I'm thinking. The disk was already mostly empty also.

But Disk Management had said all partitions were "healthy." Very strange but I'm over it.

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

Oh yes. Checked the health and for bad blocks. 99% health via HWiNFO and Crystal Disk Info and 0 disk errors via Magician. A corrupted recovery partition, I'm thinking. The disk was already mostly empty also.

But Disk Management had said all partitions were "healthy." Very strange but I'm over it.
Sorry, something lost in translation. I will try again. With empty I intended that Disk Magician does not format the whole disk but keeps a portion in reserve to use when solid state memory decreases. It is an option of Samsung Disk Magician. I looked it up and it is called " over provisioning"

1643816464102.png

plat

Level 29
Thread author
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
No, actually nothing was lost in translation. I'm aware of over provisioning. I guess I was the one who wasn't very clear. I hinted at it when I said my disk "was already mostly empty also."

I would never enable over provisioning on a disk with 423/465 GB free when I yanked it. Not even on this smaller one with currently 206/232 free. Anyway, Windows 11 seems to be OK, and best of all, no mysterious disappearance of bits of disk space. Let me tell you, I wouldn't wish this disk nightmare on anyone. But luckily, it didn't fail me, it just couldn't update.

plat

Level 29
Thread author
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Changed my mind, bought another 980 Pro nvm-e and installed Windows 10 because I want to check if some rather severe stuttering issues I had with a certain game in Windows 11 are still present.

I only speak for myself but I'm spoiled for performance. The 970 EVO Plus is a nice nvm-e but it's very small and a back-up for a reason. The new one is very fast and I hope the issues I had with the prev. don't pop up again. Then again, I got one of the first ones out on the market and subsequent firmware updates likely took their toll.

Don't know if Edge is going to stay on here but for right now, it's pretty good. Will update as things evolve. (y):coffee:

Edit: update--the stuttering was most definitely confined to Windows 11. Anyone playing on a Unity platform having this problem? There are some guides online that have you making registry edits and these were only partially successful. Turning off anti-aliasing didn't work either. Only Windows 10 made the game run flawlessly as it should. Oh well.

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Thread author
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Hey, everyone. I added VoodooShield v. 7.06 to my Windows 11 Insiders build on my alternate drive. Now then--it's been a while--since v. 3.xx. All settings are at Default (Auto Pilot--Aggressive) and Whitelist Cloud is off. So far, no system impacts that I can tell. (y)

Is this the configuration most are using--Default? Do you think it's wise to disable VS if Windows 11 is updating? Note, this is Insiders Beta and you get a new build, complete with a Windows.old folder. It just updated today to v. 22610.1 but VS wasn't installed at the time.

Thanks!

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Smart is the default/recommended mode by @danb
But I find AutoPilot Mode more practical when you use a webbrowser all the time.
Discussed this with Dan a while back, but we agreed to disagree :D
Running the latest version 7.07 in AutoPilot Mode (Aggressive) and with WhitelistCloud enabled.

It's best to disable VS on a full insider's beta Windows 11 update to avoid any issues.
There is no need to do this with normal Windows updates, but better safe than sorry...

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Thread author
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Evaluating JShelter extension for Firefox. I do online shopping (OK, window shopping mostly) and there are hints here and there of tracking that make things a little uncomfortable. Let's see how it goes. Anyone else currently using it? If so, pls feel free to drop a note or two. (y)

Example of a page on Amazon site:

amazonjs.png

Wontkins

Level 1
May 9, 2022
Plat1098, I just started using it. Only had a problem on DailyMotion. There I had to change the Javascipt Shield setting or it wouldn't start the video. Oddly after I started playing it and changed it back the other old show videos I found there worked fine. Otherwise I haven't had to mess with it at all. Boy DM's site design is horrible.

plat

Level 29
Thread author
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Hey everyone! Happy Turkey Day!

OK, seeing as I'm doing more online financials, I've decided to invest in a supporter's certificate for a security-hardened sandbox. Done and dusted. The developer is offering a Black Friday discount of 15%--good until November 28, 2022. So, now is the time to snap it up!

Hopefully it will be OK to post this over here in the dedicated SBIE threads. @bjm_

edited to remove snip Was getting very messy with all the strike-outs. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Not sure how I feel about once open-source software becoming a pay for use app with various tiers where certain features are only available for the xxx amount of money you pay. It just doesn't seem right. Not saying the developer doesn't deserve to earn money for their hard work but I would be much happier if he took donations like various other apps do to continue development or only charged for enterprise use and let home/personal users in for free.

plat

Level 29
Thread author
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Not sure how I feel about once open-source software becoming a pay for use app with various tiers where certain features are only available for the xxx amount of money you pay.

Not defending him too much but the free version is respectable and the Plus UI has seen a lot of improvements.

The extra hardening features are paid--and to say with some truth, I'm still working out a few buggy things with Firefox due to these. I was not surprised when he brought out this business model. He put a lot of work and effort into it from day 1 and is trying to expand his user base with his other software (Private Win10, etc). It's been kind of slow to catch on, looks like.

plat

Level 29
Thread author
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Hey everyone!

Have not changed very much in this config as it has served well and machine runs as though nothing is on here. Did lose HitmanPro as it's not worth the money to me anymore. Others like AdwCleaner and Norton do just fine as supplements to Defender's scan.

BUT. Two of my passwords (PayPal and AT&T Mobile) were pwned recently. No further damage was done but it was enough to jar my nerves a bit. So, I reviewed my password options and opted to go for a bunch of randomly generated ones using 1Password's generator, make a few changes to each on Notepad and store these offline on my external HDD.

I'll then change all my pre-existing ones manually--it's not that many to do anyway. It sounds kind of long and tedious and it prob. is.

If anyone has an interest in a free generator, here is the one I used: 1Password

Just not going the Password Manager route, and you can't make me. 😬

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.