Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

1UP said:
Those who decide to play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 before release on Xbox 360 apparently are risking their Xbox Live accounts.

Xbox Live director of policy and enforcement Stephen Toulouse stated on Twitter yesterday that those who obtained a legitimate copy of the game -- which went on sale at certain stores ahead of its planned November 8 release -- were safe to play on Live. Since then, he has written a follow-up tweet stating Activision doesn't want people playing early and that doing so puts your account at risk.

"clarification: dblchk'd with Activision," he wrote. "Mw3 pre-release play not authorized. So pls be patient. Playing early may impact your account!"

It's not the greatest method for getting the word out as not everyone goes on Twitter or follows Toulouse. At the same time, what he said is no guarantee that your account will be immediately banned the second you get online, but the contradictory messaging is only going to lead to confusion over what is and isn't allowed. That's also not to mention how someone who legitimately buys the game early and goes home to play it isn't doing anything wrong -- it isn't their fault the game was sold early.

In addition to the stores that began selling it this week, copies have hit places like eBay and Craigslist. One eBay auction for an Xbox 360 version in particular (via Joystiq) saw 88 bids that reached $1,725. Whether the buyer will actually play that exorbitant amount for a game coming in just a few days' time -- let alone a game that could get you banned -- is unclear, but the winning bidder was not the only person willing to bid hundreds of a dollars for an early copy.

via 1UP.com

Last edited:

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I am glad, I was going to get it on PC. Don't have a Xbox.

K__M

Jun 14, 2011
Wow, glad i have PS3 aha.

I have not played it yet.. so i am safe anyway.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Excited! :D Can't wait to play it on the 8th.

Thank you for preordering Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 3 from GAME.co.uk
This email is just to confirm that your preorder is being picked and packed ready for despatch via Royal Mail on 7th November.

Modern Warfare 3 is released on 8th November and Activision, who publish it, have worked very
hard to make it the biggest gaming launch ever. They have requested that no UK retailer despatch
Modern Warfare 3 before the 7th November and GAME along with all reputable retailers will respect
this request. Royal Mail have a next day delivery rate of more than 93%.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Gamespot: Now Playing - Modern Warfare 3

PS: Don't watch, if you don't like spoiler videos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.