PlaySearchNow / HomeWeeklies / Safe Finder Malware Removal - Mac

PaulB

Thread author
Sep 2, 2020
Hi All,

I'm at my wits' end here. I've accidentally clicked on a box as Iw as setting up my new Mac and ended up with a malicious extension in chrome with has also affect safari. New browser tabs redirect to the above search sites instead of google.co.uk. I've followed all the steps shown in other guides, but it hasn't fixed it.

So to recap :-

Extension removed and deleted
Chrome/Safari data reset done (as soon as I log back in as me, it all continues)
MalwareBytes Premium paid for and run. Malicious files removed
Plist removed from the safari library to reset preferences
MCafee and MalwareBytes give all clear

And still-I'm unable to change the home page setting for my safari or prevent chrome from loading the site in the first place, despite google.co.uk being set as the homepage in preferences.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If the Mac is new, the Recovery option may be the easiest solution.

Chrome Sync may be affecting your device. You can backup all your Bookmarks and reset (erase) Sync data.

PaulB

Thread author
Sep 2, 2020
Thanks - Hoping to avoid the full recovery if I can... it's set up now - wouldn't mind I'm normally pretty good with spotting these things, but I just lost concentration for a second and clicked something. Dammit !!

I'll have a look at the chrome synced info section thanks - would that affect Mac ?

Is there any way to stop the 'change homepage' on safari from being grayed out to edit it ?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.