PlayStation 4 Pro found to offer weaker performance than regular PS4 for some games

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
A little over two months ago, Sony unveiled the PlayStation 4 Pro console with updated underlying hardware and a promise of improved performance. However, it looks like some older games might not be benefiting from the added firepower when played on 1080p HDTVs.

A report from EuroGamer has detailed such games, which are performing better on the older PlayStation 4 than its more powerful variant. According to the report, the new console's rendering is certainly superior to the standard PS4, but there's a drop in framerate and screen-tear in games such as Skyrim, The Last of Us, Mantis Burn Racing and Watch Dogs 2.

The PS4 Pro is said to down-sample 4K games for the 1080p TVs, which might be a reason for the performance hit. Game developers can probably issue a patch that introduces a native 1080p, 60 frames per second mode to bring the performance up to par with the standard PS4, if that is the case.

Given the recent statement from Sony Entertainment CEO, Andrew House, that most current games launching on the PS4 Pro would be upscaled to 4K, prospective buyers may be wondering whether the console is a worthy buy. However, newer games developed with the PS4 Pro in mind should offer better graphics and performance.

Source: EuroGamer via Ars Technica

Reactions: Wave and Venustus
W

Wave

I have the regular PS4 and I don't need the extra firepower with the PS4 Pro, I'm certainly not going to spend another few hundred pounds just for some improvements... IMO Sony should have just waited and continued research/work towards a PlayStation 5 which we'll probably see in a few years time, I think the PS4 Pro was just a waste of time.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I think many people are already satisfied on PS4; since they can play those decent games without issues. ;)

Gamers are rather focus on the games to be played as long the console is in their hands.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.