Advice Request Please help me set the best settings of VoodooShield Pro

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jogos

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 9, 2017
Hi, I'm new user of this software .My screenshots

Basic

ZYBpdlJ.png

Advanced

7xGvf6a.png

What to change, what field check, what uncheck, Custom folders protects from ransomware ? Should I use Pandora Sandox feature in Zemana AntiMalware Premium when VoodooShield Pro also uses a sandbox?

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Here's mine:
393HFal.png

GoVx1Ne.png

You'll probably get a lot more prompts than you're used to using my settings as I don't allow items from Program Files, the Ai database or signature matches from executing automatically. Call it paranoia but I don't like anything being allowed to run - besides critical Windows processes - automatically without my say-so.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If you are new user of VS, then run it at default settings for a day or two, get to know the software, look at the log and the whitelist and the command lines, poke around in the settings, ask a couple questions, get a feel for it.
Then start tweaking.
It's important to understand how things work, otherwise you won't get the result you want.

Jogos

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 9, 2017
Custom folders protects from ransomware ? Should I use Pandora Sandox feature in Zemana AntiMalware Premium when VoodooShield Pro also uses a sandbox? Should I use Smart (default) or Always On mode? (i changed settings to @Arequire configuration)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Custom folders protects from ransomware ? Should I use Pandora Sandox feature in Zemana AntiMalware Premium when VoodooShield Pro also uses a sandbox? Should I use Smart (default) or Always On mode? (i changed settings to @Arequire configuration)
Hi, you are clearly looking for tight security, and that's great, but you really should invest some time in understanding how VS works.
Custom folders is not related to ransomware protection, rather, it defines which areas of the system VS is monitoring and applying anti-exe to.
The dev recommends Smart mode, although you are free to ignore his suggestion.
VS does not sandbox processes, although it does sometimes give you the option to submit a suspicious file to a cloud sandbox.
In order to benefit from all the great things that VS does, you first must understand them.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Has anyone ever used Training Mode?
Also last I heard when I had the slider set to max was to leave it in the middle, since Dan's AI was still learning. I may have missed him mentioning to set it higher now.
I have used training mode. After installation I usually go though a restart or two with training mode, to make sure everything in the boot sequence gets properly whitelisted, and I also use it to whitelist stubborn processes/command lines. If VS keeps blocking a program, I start it up with training mode enabled.

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
I have used training mode. After installation I usually go though a restart or two with training mode, to make sure everything in the boot sequence gets properly whitelisted, and I also use it to whitelist stubborn processes/command lines. If VS keeps blocking a program, I start it up with training mode enabled.
Maybe this would be a good mode for the newbie to start in?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Maybe this would be a good mode for the newbie to start in?
I would not recommend for a newbie to use learning mode for an extended period.
First of all, it will make the whitelist bloated, because the program files will get whitelisted, while most of them are already allowed by VS at normal settings.
But more important, if the user does anything unsafe while in learning mode, it will get an allow rule.

Just to clear up any misunderstanding: learning mode means that VS is "learning" what the user wants to permanently allow. It does not mean the user is learning how to use VS.

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
I would not recommend for a newbie to use learning mode for an extended period.
First of all, it will make the whitelist bloated, because the program files will get whitelisted, while most of them are already allowed by VS at normal settings.
But more important, if the user does anything unsafe while in learning mode, it will get an allow rule.

Just to clear up any misunderstanding: learning mode means that VS is "learning" what the user wants to permanently allow. It does not mean the user is learning how to use VS.

Yes as I mentioned, I have never used Training Mode.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Scoot the slider for VS sensitivity up to 120% and your good to go ;)
PS: set the detections from 5 to 3 as well
I don't pay attention to the VoodooAi rating really so it wouldn't do anything for me to bump it up.
I upped the detections from 3 to 5 due to a few VT FPs I ran into. Figure if there's 5 whole detection it's something I should be avoiding.
Has anyone ever used Training Mode?
I use training mode when updating software. Once it's updated I switch back to Always On.

Reactions: oldschool and Jogos

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I upped the detections from 3 to 5 due to a few VT FPs I ran into. Figure if there's 5 whole detection it's something I should be avoiding.
It's all good brother, but do note that 5 is the default at install, I move it to 3 for personal preference ;)
Also, from the first or second beta I have used Smart Mode per Dan's recommendation. Never had too many issues, that's why I shared that. PeAcE

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
It's all good brother, but do note that 5 is the default at install, I move it to 3 for personal preference ;)
Also, from the first or second beta I have used Smart Mode per Dan's recommendation. Never had too many issues, that's why I shared that. PeAcE
Oh. Weird, I don't remember dropping it to 3 but I guess I must have cause I thought it was default. o_O

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I don't pay attention to the VoodooAi rating really so it wouldn't do anything for me to bump it up.

I use training mode when updating software. Once it's updated I switch back to Always On.
If you use training mode when updating software, it means you are adding lots and lots of installer files and installer command lines to your whitelists. Better to turn VS off during installation, that is what the dev recommends.
And then, after the installation is over, that's when you can put it in training mode, for the first time you launch that application -- if you think that it needs special whitelisting.
But most programs don't need it, because program files folder is automatically allowed, by default.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Just wanted to mention: the advantage of smart mode is that it minimizes the risk of important Windows functions being blocked.
This is because a few minutes after you walk away from your PC, smart mode will detect lack of user activity, and switch VS to a slightly lower level of protection. At that point, certain things that Windows might have been unsuccessfully trying to do until now will finally succeed.
Smart mode does not put your computer at risk, because when you aren't downloading anything or executing anything, it's pretty hard for your computer to get infected. Infections are almost always due to a user action.

Jogos

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 9, 2017
@shmu26

Thanks for these informations, Zemana AM Premium also uses cloud sandbox, should I duplicate these functions?

Reactions: shmu26
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.