Nov 21, 2018
Windows Edition
Pro
Security updates
Check for updates and Notify
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
Kaspersky Internet Security 2018, Sandboxie, ShadowDefender plus GlassWire free.
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebytes on demand.
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
SRWare Iron, Waterfox with AdblockPlus,WebRTC,Kaspersky.
Maintenance tools
SSD disk,no defrag.CCleaner.
File and Photo backup
none, I use the OS tools to duplicate or triplicate to external HD.
System recovery
AOMEI Backupper free. Backup to ext.HD.

ChemicalB

Level 8
Verified
Sep 14, 2018
Thanks for sharing.

Good setup and good real time protection but please consider to migrate to Windows 10 because Windows 7 is near to end of support (January, 2020)

Of course you can continue to use Windows 7, but after the end of support, your PC will become more vulnerable to security risks and malware. Windows will continue to work, but will not have software updates, including critical patches.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I would strongly consider you migrating to Windows 10. Data Backup is essential, using Aomei Backupper or Macrium Reflect for this is great, both are also free of charge.

The rest of your setup looks great.

~LDogg

poirotz

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2018
@stepseven84
Thank you for your suggestions,which seem thoroughly on the side of good sense,but let me explain:
I enrolled with Microsoft when they asked for testers for Windows 10, I used it and tested for a while, until a moment when,two years ago,I bought a notebook which-like the 99% of those on sale-was a windows 10 notebook. I didnt have preconceived ideas about it,so I stood the fact it is not your OS-its only a lease, i was unfussed by the graphic changes,complete lack of privacy,irrational (from my point of view) location of settings -all things with a solution of sorts. Then came the sudden updates and the pretension to get rid of programs which they dont like, and in fact one day i realised one program was missing and i had not removed it.
Then one upgrade came and it was forced upon my machine and i couldnt do anything about it- all was ok if the notebook had rebooted.....but it never did.The machine was ko! Next day I got rid for keeps of dear Windows 10 and installed Windows 8.1 which I had available, which -at least- wont push neither updates nor automated removals.
A year later I had a new computer desktop built on order which i installed Windows 7 pro on,in spite of MS warning that the OS couldnt work with that kind of new processors: in fact Windows 7 is working fine with AMD Ryzen 5-1600 6-core processors with just a little program installed once. (From Github,later bought by MS)
Quite frankly I dont give a fig if the OS is not updated anymore: i am confident to always find programs and ways to cope with this.
In a way I'd be relieved there are no more updates.....
If i wont one day be able to run an OS previous to 10 I will simply run a Linux variety,which i've also used many times in dual boot with Windows.
Unless MS releases a different Windows 10,which i doubt quite heavily.
Sorry for the ranting,have a good day or night -depending where you are!

@LDogg
thanks for your remarks, yes i agree about data backup,but i do it regularly, only I do not use a specific program for
backing data. Just copy-paste or Aomei backups when imaging the disk or partitions.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@poirotz:

Using GlassWire when KIS2018 has its own integrated firewall?

A PassWord Manager and a VPN service in Web Privacy would be welcome.

Remove "Kaspersky IS" from "Virus and Malware Removal Tools" because that is Your real.time protection, there You may add Norton Power Eraser and/or HitManPro Free.

Thanks for sharing :giggle:

poirotz

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2018
harlan4096 , as TerrakionSmash rightfully stated it is the FREE GlassWire working only as alerter for connections: user receives an Alert as soon as a new connection is made, with details, so that you know in real time what is going on.
The firewall section of GlassWire is completely disabled, this way there's no overlapping with Kaspersky firewall, which only -unless i took it all wrong with its settings- alerts you about the LAN connection once and does it a long time after such connection is made. GW alerts everytime a new one is made.
I think it is a usefull non basic program for one's info in real time. It can warn of programs connecting without your knowledge. No slowdowns up to now.

Of course i use a Password Manager,but it seemed to me it does not belong to any question in Sec.Config.

I would gladly correct the mistake and remove KIS from Virus and Malware Tools if I knew how to do it properly....I'll have a look at it.

poirotz

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2018
Sorry,I have updated my config now with Password Manager and corrected as Harlan suggested.

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.