Poll tab on the main page not keeping your vote?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aura

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
I've been wondering that for a while now, but is there a reason as to why the Poll tab on the main page (when you browse the forum) doesn't keep your vote? If I vote, then refresh the page, it asks me to vote again. Also, most of the time, I already voted for that question in the thread that has been created for it, and I would assume that it would just display and take in account my vote from there instead of asking me to vote again.

Known issue?

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I tested it and it showed my vote ob the main page sidebar.However.....
When I removed my vote it still shows my vote on the sidebar as well as in the thread.
Now every other poll shows a vote on the sidebar(1st poll option)even if I didn't vote
Ashampoo_Snap_2016.08.18_08h01m24s_001_.png Ashampoo_Snap_2016.08.18_08h02m33s_002_.png

Refreshing the page or marking "All forums read" does not change the problem.

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Looks like the issue is still present on my end. I'll try again when I get home. I vote, refresh the page, and it asks me to vote again.
I voted in the poll on the sidebar
Ashampoo_Snap_2016.08.18_11h26m50s_002_.png

Before I closed out my browser it showed my vote "Yes, I like it" however after I closed it out it can be seen above that my vote is no longer ticked.
But if you click on the poll question(above highlighted/arrow)it is linked to the actual thread which contains the poll.
As you can see below by the asterisk my vote is still there.
Ashampoo_Snap_2016.08.18_11h26m13s_001_.png

No where does it "ask " you to vote again.By ask do you mean that your vote is gone from the sidebar poll?
If this is the case then I imagine we would need to code the add on/mod to prevent this.
But really all that has to be done is vote from the sidebar poll or click the thread title above the sidebar poll.
Either way your vote still remains in the thread poll.

If you do vote again it does not add an extra vote since you have already voted

Reactions: Wave

Aura

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
That's the main issue. If I voted, why would I be able to "vote" again (even if won't count it twice)? Why doesn't it just display that I voted with the option I chose? The way it is right now, it's as if my vote didn't go through.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
That's the main issue. If I voted, why would I be able to "vote" again (even if won't count it twice)? Why doesn't it just display that I voted with the option I chose? The way it is right now, it's as if my vote didn't go through.
I understand but if you do vote again it does not add an extra vote to the poll in the thread and your original vote was counted.It is probably a glitch in the mod/add on for the sidebar poll and will have to be reported to Xenforo on their forums.
I voted in the poll on the sidebar and when I logged back in later I was able to vote again on the sidebar however as you can see from the screenshots no matter how many times I vote on the sidebar it does not effect the poll count in the original thread.
Best advice I can give is click on the poll question above the choices on the sidebar and it will take you to the original thread where you can then vote.Either way it does not change the vote count and your vote is counted as which can be verified by the asterisk next to the choice you voted for.
The only other option is to remove it from the sidebar completely however since it is basically just showing the polls that have been posted I always click the hyperlink to the thread where their is more information.

Reactions: Wave

Aura

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
I understand but if you do vote again it does not add an extra vote to the poll in the thread and your original vote was counted.It is probably a glitch in the mod/add on for the sidebar poll and will have to be reported to Xenforo on their forums.

This is pretty much what I would like to report. I'll probably just email Xenforo to report the bug. I thought this Poll tab was a custom mod/plugin that could be fixed, but if it's a built-in Xenforo feature, then it can't be helped.

Thanks!

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Sometimes I don't know what I am talking about but maybe its with so many people online it can take a little time for a vote to be casted. Never had the problem mentioned above.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I've been wondering that for a while now, but is there a reason as to why the Poll tab on the main page (when you browse the forum) doesn't keep your vote? If I vote, then refresh the page, it asks me to vote again. Also, most of the time, I already voted for that question in the thread that has been created for it, and I would assume that it would just display and take in account my vote from there instead of asking me to vote again.

Known issue?
Hello,
Yes, it's a known "issue" and this is how it was designed. The widget on the main page (not part of the Xenforo core) does not have a "Change vote" button so it just keeps reverting to the Poll after you vote and refresh the page. To be noted that the vote is registered, and its only behaving like this so that you can vote with another option directly from the widget. I'll look into this, maybe I can find a better way to do this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wave and Logethica
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.