Not open for further replies.

JM Safe

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Hello,

I found this new extension, which can block all popups request from any website.
There are few options which can be set, for example deny/allow popups request, or open a popup request in a background tab in the browser, etc.

This is the original description:

Popup Blocker (ultimate) is a lightweight WebExtension to prevent websites from opening popups. The extension pauses all sort of window opening requests for user attention. You can either accept or deny a request. Multiple unique requests are shown in an array. If a websites requests a single URL more than once, a badge number will be shown indicating the total number of requests to this particular URL.

Options:
  • Deny popup request
  • Allow popup request
  • Open popup request in a background tab
  • Redirect current page to popup URL source

Supported blocking methods:
  • window.open
  • a->target=_blank

---

For FAQs please go to:
http://add0n.com/popup-blocker.html

For bug reports please go to:
https://github.com/schomery/popup-blocker/issues

To check your current popup blocker visit:
http://tools.add0n.com/popup-blocker.html

This add-on is avalaible for Firefox and Firefox-based browsers and for Chrome and Chrome-based browsers.

Firefox Page: Popup Blocker (ultimate)

Chrome Page: Popup Blocker (ultimate)

Thanks for reading! ;)

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
there is no need in chromium browser for this extension. under advanced settings u can tick a setting that blocks all popups from all sites. just testet it with the popup blocker testpage. same result as the extension.

Not sure about this addon specifically, but I know addons like uBlock Origin generally have bigger/better filters compared to the built-in pop-up blocker. If you want to save on resources, you could definitely use the built-in feature, but if you're looking for something more expansive, uBlock Origin or anything of the sort will make a difference.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
testing it now. Seem to me it is more sensitive than Poper blocker

The Chrome/Firefox browsers are already capable to block any types of pop-ups, let the adblocker do the rest to prevent possible unwanted filters.
chrome popup block is extremely poor. It can only block 1/3 of total popups I got. I must use popup blocker. I don't wanna block all popup using the settings under the hood
Firefox is better, more options to choose

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Which Pop Up blocker can block those coming from the side or from bottom up?

Thanks
I think this extension is doing a great job as nothing can pass through it so far from my test
However, I miss the whitelist button from Poper Blocker. Poper blocker is not as good as this but it has more functions

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I think this extension is doing a great job as nothing can pass through it so far from my test
However, I miss the whitelist button from Poper Blocker. Poper blocker is not as good as this but it has more functions
This Extension did not pass ALL the tests as stated in post #2 by antreas. I tested it myself. Also, Chrome/Firefox and Poper Blocker can't block either.

Also, cannot clear the pop up counter.

BTW, so far, I don't think any pop up blocker can block pop ups coming form the sides and those from below up

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 2913

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
This Extension did not pass ALL the tests as stated in post #2 by antreas. I tested it myself. Also, Chrome/Firefox and Poper Blocker can't block either.

Also, cannot clear the pop up counter.

BTW, so far, I don't think any pop up blocker can block pop ups coming form the sides and those from below up
actually, I just tested it
everything was block except: Good PopUp #2
I dont know why it didn't block everything for you

this block filter block good popup #2
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/I...k-Filters-Plus/master/uBlock-Filters-Plus.txt

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Mine passed the Multi-PopUp Test #2 but failed the other 2 as mentioned

BTW, how to clear the pop-up counter?

thanks
sorry I dont know. Maybe I already have some ublock filters that's why I don't get the popups you missed. I used all available tests from some websites and only missed one, this was blocked by an ublock filter => 100% for me

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
FYI, this extension manifest.json was flagged as unwanted browser extension by Reason Core (scanned via herdProtect). Poper blocker was not detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.