Possible to Set Secure Folders to Protect mbr?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Is there a way to make Windows mbr files read only and protect the mbr using Secure Folders? This tiny program is great peace of mind, and I would rather use it than MBRFilter. Kind of a hassle involved with the registry change to disable MBRF.

Can't find the download link. Have the installer but Google didn't turn up a link for the program for the program details for the thread. If anyone knows, might help someone get the program who would benefit. Thanks. :)

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Is there a way to make Windows mbr files read only and protect the mbr using Secure Folders? This tiny program is great peace of mind, and I would rather use it than MBRFilter. Kind of a hassle involved with the registry change to disable MBRF.

Can't find the download link. Have the installer but Google didn't turn up a link for the program for the program details for the thread. If anyone knows, might help someone get the program who would benefit. Thanks. :)
Nope. Secure Folders is just a "build in permission gui" so it can only do folders.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Just a clarification, many times we take as a reference the MBR, when, in fact, more often on new systems, we see GPT, considered as MBR evolution.
Now, trying to answer your question I don't think SF will be able to protect the MBR and agreed with @SHvFl .
Plus, the structures of the MBR are not identical, and it would be very difficult to manage the partition tables and then the correct offset.
Also in the occupied areas, Windows protects the kernel sectors already mapped and it is important to say that any changes in these areas can make the OS unusable with the risk you can't be back without a MBR backup.

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Nope. Secure Folders is just a "build in permission gui" so it can only do folders.

Just a clarification, many times we take as a reference the MBR, when, in fact, more often on new systems, we see GPT, considered as MBR evolution.

Thanks. I will go with MBRFilter when I finally get the courage. Mostly worried about forgetting its there and then partioning or something else that could ruin a boot sequence. :)

Side question. I see how to add trusted programs, and I noticed that Explorer.exe was required for anything launched using the start menu or a folder. Tested with Notepad and it worked fine. Are Windows processes like notepad and explorer.exe safe to add to Trusted Applications? I assume they are (Paint, etc.).

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Thanks. I will go with MBRFilter when I finally get the courage. Mostly worried about forgetting its there and then partioning or something else that could ruin a boot sequence. :)

Side question. I see how to add trusted programs, and I noticed that Explorer.exe was required for anything launched using the start menu or a folder. Tested with Notepad and it worked fine. Are Windows processes like notepad and explorer.exe safe to add to Trusted Applications? I assume they are (Paint, etc.).
I honestly never tested it to be sure but the less you add the better so if something takes control of those applications you will not have issues.

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I honestly never tested it to be sure but the less you add the better so if something takes control of those applications you will not have issues.

That's what I was thinking. I use the disks mostly for backups so the backup program is trusted. don't think there will be many others. Thing is Explorer.exe automatically means deletes of any file are allowed. Gonna have to just go with Trusting some doc creator apps and leave it there I think.

If you don't execute unknown stuff on your system, then the likelihood of an MBR smash is probably the same likelihood as being bit by a shark while living in the middle of a desert. The threat and risk of exploits is blown way out of proportion. You have a much greater chance of being socially engineered than your system being exploited.

Secure Folders is just a file system filter for permissions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.