Request Post character minimum in "Compare Apps" section

Status
Not open for further replies.

slash/

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
This idea is lifted from a few subreddits, and I think it would work well here.

Replies in the Compare Apps section should have a character minimum, 140 characters would be a good start. Anything less than that length is probably not insightful, and doesn't provide enough detail. For evidence, refer to every 4-5 word post in that section (they shouldn't be hard to find at all).

Reactions: vtqhtr413

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Compare Apps

Even short replies less then 140 characters can hold information thats important and helpful enough. For example a url as a reply on a question about a source would be blocked. Personal I always tries to keep a reply on point with the topic/subject as thats much more important IMO then the actual length.

Extrem short or "useless" comments/replies it already exist rules against. Just a matter of using the report option IMO.

Last edited:

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
This idea is lifted from a few subreddits, and I think it would work well here.

Replies in the Compare Apps section should have a character minimum, 140 characters would be a good start. Anything less than that length is probably not insightful, and doesn't provide enough detail. For evidence, refer to every 4-5 word post in that section (they shouldn't be hard to find at all).
Good point and so are @upnorth 's, we also don't know what the pressures on the forum consist of, I'm sure there's a balance involved and have to be considered.

Reactions: Jack and slash/

slash/

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
Compare Apps

Even short replies less then 140 characters can hold information thats important and helpful enough. For example a url as a reply on a question about a source would be blocked. Personal I always tries to keep a reply on point with the topic/subject as thats much more important IMO then the actual length.

Extrem short or "useless" comments/replies it already exist rules against. Just a matter of using the report option IMO.
A URL is a good example of how not to respond. Responding with a URL and an explanation for the URL relevance, however, is a good post.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
A URL is a good example of how not to respond. Responding with a URL and an explanation for the URL relevance, however, is a good post.
It's not always that black or white IMO. If someone in a post asked me about a source or what software I use etc, I don't always see the point of overcomplicate a reply by reply again whats already obvious from the question itself.

I'm not fully sure if noted that I actually posted a url in post #2 to the section that this thread is about and I did that without any explanation. It should have IMO already been included in the first post so I simply posted the url as a mean of helping anyone that reads this thread and especially for the topic/thread creator. IMO posting a url or a short reply for the right purpose and in the correct context don't always have to be something " bad " also if it wasen't clear why it was posted it's always possible for anyone to simply ask, even with less then 140 characters. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: vtqhtr413

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If a minimum of 140 characters is imposed, then members will start posting their Compare Apps questions elsewhere. As an example, they may begin to use General Discussions, or Software Help with [Discuss], [Q&A] or [Problem] prefixes. This defeats the purpose of a [Help Me Decide] sub-forum by where they may want to compare 2 or more apps.

There are other, easier ways to help members understand what information is required for a comparison thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.