Battle PotPlayer vs MPC-HC vs VLC

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Same sources as of MPC and if it does it from player itself now, I may use it again as my main player now.
From within the player, you can add sources too.

PotPlayer never stops developing into a better product even though it's already an extremely advanced free media player. That's what I like about it the most. That too on a fortnightly basis which is insane!

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Same sources as of MPC and if it does it from player itself now, I may use it again as my main player now.
It has one more subtitle source than MPC HC but not as convenient to use so I'll keep using MPC HC and keep Potplayer as backup.
It does have nice subtitle editing/syncing options though.

Last edited:

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Video Playback Quality in VLC is bad.for free I like MPV based players(Smplayer or Mpv easy player) and for paid PowerDVD and Splash Player Pro(discontinued but still works and convert your movies to 60FPS)
I don't like Potplayer(cuz Kakao is not trusted) but its feature rich.Potplayer+Madvr+lav filters+some changes in Nvidia settings is a good alternative to splash player pro(but still no 60fps).
there is a Chinese version of Potplayer that comes with madvr+LAV Filters+codecs
完美解码官方网站

Splash Player is now totally free for all. This means that various premium features like Motionboost, Lightboost, Detail boost, Audio boost etc are now available for free.

Not that I'm really excited about it, because firstly many of it's premium features were available in the free version of other media players and secondly because of it's extremely simple nature of settings and features, it doesn't even have subtitle sync feature etc and many more. However, for simple playback even for UHD & 4K videos it's a good looking media player.

I will stick with PotPlayer anyway which is a complete video player in every aspect.

Last edited:

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Splash Player is now totally free for all. This means that various premium features like Motionboost, Lightboost, Detail boost, Audio boost etc are now available for free.
C̶o̶o̶l̶,̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶d̶i̶d̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶?̶
nvm found it:
Mirillis Splash Player 2.3.0 changelog:
Added Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD support
Added video rotation using 'R' hotkey
Added pinning control panel using 'E' hotkey (in windowed mode)
Fixed HEVC and HEVC 10-bit decoding on AMD GPUs
GUI improvements
Splash is now FREE software for everyone
you can't find those premium features in other media players(we discussed it before) also SmoothVideo Project team removed the free version so no more 60 fps for free : ) Madvr also doesn't offer 60 fps. it just boosts colour, details and some other stuff.
subtitle sync
it's in settings but no hotkey for it. I dw my subtitles from Persian websites. they are already synced with movies(different subtilties for different qualities).
Pot player features are not useful for many people(I'm not a DJ).i just want drag and drop my MKV file to my media player:notworthy: that's all. but if you work in Walt Disney you may need those features:)
anyway Potplayer is made by spy agency kakao cooperation!for free MPV based players are already enough(SMPLAYER and MPV-EASY Player )

Last edited:

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
I've been using VLC for years on both Windows and Android. I find it to be the most versatile player in general, with surprisingly good sound quality on Windows since version 3.x. I also like that it allows one to make quick video clips without additional software, and that it handles playlists well. The only downsides I've found are that many of its settings are well-hidden and that it still has a few bugs, like crashing when trying to play a deleted file from the recent files list.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
you can't find those premium features in other media players(we discussed it before) also SmoothVideo Project team removed the free version so no more 60 fps for free : ) Madvr also doesn't offer 60 fps. it just boosts colour, details and some other stuff.

anyway Potplayer is made by spy agency kakao cooperation!for free MPV based players are already enough(SMPLAYER and MPV-EASY Player )

Hi please take a moment to browse through the settings of PotPlayer (especially for audio & video), it's highly rewarding. :) It supports Dolby atmos, Motion2 etc, just that it doesn't "advertise" enough like Splash Player and uses a different terminology. There are a lot of manual enhancements that you can do here. There are lots of guides on the internet to tweak PotPlayer to be an even more powerful beast.

Set Built-in audio Decoder --> Pass thru SPDIF, HDMI --> Enable --> All set to Default SPDIF Muxers (it will capture and send Atmos and various other great stuff to the receiver)

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I tried Potplayer for several weeks, the audio is much better than in MPC, but lately they started to distribute something unsigned, so PatchMyPC always fails to update it, besides I use Terminator 2 to test playback and it no longer works. Interestingly MPC-HC is unable to play it either, but MPC-HC within K-Lite Pack can, so those codecs do something useful after all, aside from video thumbnails. VLC fails too.

Attachments

• capture_08102019_145435.jpg
    capture_08102019_145435.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 1,039

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Pot Player/K-Lite Codec Pack/MPC-BE with madVR gives the best video quality. I personally use MPC-BE beause Pot Player doesn't give the accurate color from what I've seen. Everything looks brighter, whiter than normal. Other two including VLC gives the accurate color. K-Lite Codec Pack (MPC) uses more CPU and GPU with madVR on so I use MPC-BE. I also think one of the reason the sound may seem better in Pot Player is the Normalization and Boost audio feature. MPC & MPC-BE has this option also but you may need to enable manually.

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I tried Potplayer for several weeks, the audio is much better than in MPC, but lately they started to distribute something unsigned, so PatchMyPC always fails to update it, besides I use Terminator 2 to test playback and it no longer works. Interestingly MPC-HC is unable to play it either, but MPC-HC within K-Lite Pack can, so those codecs do something useful after all, aside from video thumbnails. VLC fails too.
Can you mediainfo the video in question, I want to try reproduce the problem...

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Can you mediainfo the video in question, I want to try reproduce the problem...
It is ripped from orig DVD using MakeMKV, the DVD plays with the same artifacts.
Code:
General
Unique ID                   : 160610700489479439487853189899944930442 (0x78D47EE9389276EDF01AFB182AC72C8A)
Complete name               : C:\Users\Mikai\Desktop\Terminator 2.mkv
Format                      : Matroska
Format version              : Version 2
File size                   : 6.53 GiB
Duration                    : 2 h 27 min
Overall bit rate mode       : Variable
Overall bit rate            : 6 348 kb/s
Encoded date                : UTC 2017-12-19 09:52:06
Writing application         : MakeMKV v1.10.8 win(x64-release)
Writing library             : libmakemkv v1.10.8 (1.3.5/1.4.7) win(x64-release)

Video
ID                          : 1
ID in the original source m : 224 (0xE0)
Format                      : MPEG Video
Format version              : Version 2
Format profile              : Main@Main
Format settings             : BVOP
Format settings, BVOP       : Yes
Format settings, Matrix     : Default
Format settings, GOP        : M=2, N=13
Format settings, picture st : Field
Codec ID                    : V_MPEG2
Codec ID/Info               : MPEG 1 or 2 Video
Bit rate mode               : Variable
Bit rate                    : 5 895 kb/s
Maximum bit rate            : 7 900 kb/s
Width                       : 720 pixels
Height                      : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio        : 16:9
Original display aspect rat : 2.40:1
Frame rate mode             : Constant
Frame rate                  : 25.000 FPS
Standard                    : PAL
Color space                 : YUV
Chroma subsampling          : 4:2:0
Bit depth                   : 8 bits
Scan type                   : Interlaced
Scan order                  : Top Field First
Compression mode            : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)          : 0.569
Time code of first frame    : 09:59:59:15
Time code source            : Group of pictures header
GOP, Open/Closed            : Open
Stream size                 : 6.06 GiB (93%)
Language                    : English
Default                     : No
Forced                      : No
Color primaries             : BT.601 PAL
Transfer characteristics    : BT.470 System B/G
Matrix coefficients         : BT.470 System B/G
Original source medium      : DVD-Video

Audio
ID                          : 2
ID in the original source m : 189 (0xBD)129 (0x81)
Format                      : AC-3
Format/Info                 : Audio Coding 3
Commercial name             : Dolby Digital
Codec ID                    : A_AC3
Bit rate mode               : Constant
Bit rate                    : 448 kb/s
Channel(s)                  : 6 channels
Channel layout              : L R C LFE Ls Rs
Sampling rate               : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                  : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
Bit depth                   : 16 bits
Compression mode            : Lossy
Stream size                 : 472 MiB (7%)
Title                       : Surround 5.1
Language                    : English
Service kind                : Complete Main
Default                     : Yes
Forced                      : No
Original source medium      : DVD-Video

Menu
00:00:00.000                : en:Chapter 01
00:12:17.360                : en:Chapter 02
00:25:09.040                : en:Chapter 03
00:39:34.320                : en:Chapter 04
00:48:01.840                : en:Chapter 05
01:03:57.360                : en:Chapter 06
01:15:51.320                : en:Chapter 07
01:29:58.400                : en:Chapter 08
01:40:23.440                : en:Chapter 09
01:53:42.560                : en:Chapter 10
02:05:59.400                : en:Chapter 11
02:22:47.680                : en:Chapter 12

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.